So.... How is WP7?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Michael Melton, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Michael Melton

Michael Melton New Member

To those on AT&T and others that go the new WP7, how is it? I am on Sprint, thus I have to wait but I want a Samsung with AMOLED screen definatley. Question on the OS:

On Gmail, is the push email really push?
    What about bluetooth voice dialing, yah or nah?
    How much customizing can you do the sms, mms, email, and ringtones?
  2. muddtt

muddtt Member

Phone is good so far. Can definitely tell its a generation 1 phone, but it seems to have a lot of potential. I got the focus for the screen just as u mention. UI is very snappy and has a lot of eye candy. If microsoft works out all the bugs and updates quickly I think it'll do great.

On Gmail, is the push email really push?
    it's got a setting under gmail for mail to come in as soon as it's available. doesn't seem like it's instantaneous tho.

What about bluetooth voice dialing, yah or nah?
    dunno.

How much customizing can you do the sms, mms, email, and ringtones?
    seems like you can only use the sounds on the phone. no customization.
    chris likes this.
  3. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I agree with muddt. I like the OS overall, but you notice things missing. Not deal breakers, but things you'd have to assume Microsoft will fix. If the phone is on, it seems Google will pull mail. I don't think it's true push, but no different from what's on webOS and iOS. I like the Google Mail tile. It's like own notification providing you with the number of emails that have come in since you last opened the app. Great for me, since I have hundreds of unreads, but only see single digits. Helps me know when I truly have new email.

Haven't dabbled in any sort of Bluetooth voice dialing yet.

You can select a ringtone for a user, but no way to add ringtones. Included set is pretty good. The "your battery is about dead" ringtone scares the hell out of my cats.
  4. Michael Melton

As long as the "instantaneous or push" email is fast, that is fine. Webos was fast and not like 5 minute delay, I can live with that.

Please tell me on the bluetooth, I can't stand how android or webos won't let me dial via bluetooth. But I have lived without this long...

On the ringtones, that is pathetic. I need to go to Microsoft and like Cartmen says "kick them in the nuts". I mean format the phone when you put in an sd card? This whole storage thing is lame so far, even though the os is cool.

I hope this gets better or I might just wait on ios or hell swap to att.

Does the os feel like webos in the all your contacts and "stuff" was all in one?
  5. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Feels exactly like webOS. My contacts is filled with "friends" who I either have never called or called back in 1985.

One thing is cool is the people hub. It pulls in all their updates. It's kinda, sorta like Facebook app, but it's not the full app. Still it's kinda nice.
  6. muddtt

muddtt Member

Bluetooth Dialing works. Well it works on my Blueant z9i. I hit the button and it asks me who I want to dial. I say who and it dials.
    bberryhill0 likes this.
  7. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

I dislike the fact that we can't add our own ringtones yet.....but it's nothing that i can really complain about.

The fact that I can take one glance at the screen and get off the phone in less than a minute is what WP7 is all about.....the live tiles are really helpful.
    And I agree with Chris about the people hub.....not having to log on FB to check for new posts; just open up people, swipe to the right, and there you are.
  8. Michael Melton

Really? awesome, this is great news. I can't believe android and webos are still behind on this. Get the editing ringtones down and this sound awesome.
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Android 2.2 allows for BT dialing :)
  10. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

Shhhhh, we're trying to make Android look bad :]
    haha jk.
  11. Michael Melton

Not all can get 2.2, if you are on the HTC Hero like me. Sprint/HTC only went to 2.1 officail. I can root 2.2 and have in the past, but bluetooth doesn't work. Why I am sick of android and it fragmentation.