So how 'bout some Wi-fi?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by danwo, Nov 26, 2007.

1. farrellcollie

farrellcollie New Member

2. resinis

resinis New Member

I Got Er Figured Out I Reckon

ya'll that have the spectec wifi sdio cards in your q9c's- go to http://www.spectec.com.tw/Download.htm#wlan and get the WM6 version.

mine has been working great for the last week.

so far, its a solid 800-1000kbs anywhere in the house.

it connects very quickly, even with tkip encryption.

overall, fairly well integrated with the phone. most programs are designed to deal with multiple network sources, so the wifi card fits is decetly. just dont be expecting to swap it out a lot, i find many times when i go from my 4gb sd card to the wifi card, i have to soft-reset the phone to get the wifi to turn on. that does suck to be honest.

i have taken a dremel to the back of my battery cover though, now my sd car or wifi card fits under the battery cover great. never out without both of them!
  3. BIGHONDAMOPED123

BIGHONDAMOPED123 New Member

I just go a mini sd wifi card in today and i did have to go get the WM6 driver because the one on the cd wouldnt install because windows said it was too old but other than that it works great. I got 1014 Kbps on the first test and it works great. So the Q 9c is able to use wifi cards for sure.
  4. unleashd

unleashd New Member

Does it mean that I can have either the SDIO card or my memory card in the phone at a given time?? That would mean having to keep track of an additional card :(

No wonder my friends with iPhones are harping quite a bit bit about its abilities :angry: I've been using WM smartphones for a while and am happy with them.
  5. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Not only keep track of an a additional card but if you have 3rd party apps that are installed on your card and are used for net access they should probably be reinstalled on the device.

I've got a Q9C heading my way but unsure on whether to get the WiFi as EVDO and unlimited data takes care of most of my needs and most of my apps are on my Mini SD. I don't get a great signal at home but if I want a fast connection on my Q I BT activesync to one of my PC and voila theQ uses the PC's connection.

Although hmmm would be nice to have.
  6. dapperyout

dapperyout New Member

That sounds a bit confusing... Do you have any pics of this? how do you get both of these to fit under the battery cover? Are you just storing them there until you are ready to use them, then you put them in the slot? Or do they work from that location, in which case you certainly would need more than a dremel. Cmon.. show us what you are talking about, may wish to attempt the same.
  7. rongallon

rongallon New Member

Sprint Rep

The Qc doesn't have a built in Wifi. If it did the sprint rep would have showed you how to turn it on.
  8. lodleader

lodleader Member

good lord... yes the Q9C supports a miniSDIO WiFi Card.
    No, WiFi is not built into the phone.
    Yes, there are power settings for WiFi, but those control the card once it is inside.
  9. dapperyout

dapperyout New Member

THANK YOU !! How that got out of control for so long is amazing. No onboard wifi, you can use a SDIO card, the power settings take effect after the card is inserted. Interestingly enough however, I did see it on a flyer at Best Buy advertising that the Q9c had built in wifi and a 2.0 megapixel camera, so there are retailers out there who are fueling the fire of misinformation.
  10. lodleader

lodleader Member

good lord... yes the Q9C supports a miniSDIO WiFi Card.
    No, WiFi is not built into the phone.
    Yes, there are power settings for WiFi, but those control the card once it is inside.
  11. oresteez

oresteez New Member

Hmm...So you basically can't use your 3rd party apps when the wifi card is installed..good to know...

What if I decide to upgrade my mini SD card...can i just copy the contents of the card using my computer from the old one to the new one...and the phone won't know the difference?

Also, when you say you BT into your PC and use the PC's connection, do you mean you are able to use your PC's connection to surf the web?
  12. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Yes, yes and yes.

There was just a recent thread on upgrading a card and everything worked for all who posted. I did it once but did have trouble with one or two apps. Not a big problem and I can't remember which ones. I'll be doing it with my new Q9C soon as I use a 4g normally but have (2) 2gb cards I'd like to swap out for movies and audio books.
  13. oresteez

oresteez New Member

great, thanks for the answers :)

i wasnt sure if i should start installing apps on the 128 card that came with my phone..i'll be buying a 2 gig probably in the near future