SMTP problem in Mail app

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by davidsol, Jul 2, 2006.

1. davidsol

davidsol New Member

SMTP problem in Mail app

I am having a devil of a time accomplishing the following:

1. Set up five different POP-3 accounts.

2. Use the *same* SMTP user id/password/smtp server for *all five* accounts.

Needless to say, this works on any desktop mail client.

On the Q the Mail client does not give you the option to have a different SMTP userId/password combination from the userid/password combo used to retrieve mail.

Any idea how to work around this? This seems to be entirely a problem in the client not giving the option. Should I purchase a 3rd part mail client that supports this? If so, please advise. Thank you.
  2. rupertop

rupertop New Member

Hi. During the POP3 account setup wizard, on the fourth step, there is a checkbox for "Outgoing Server Requires Authentication." Make sure that checkbox is checked and click the link below it called "Outgoing Server Settings" to specify the alternate username and password. You will have to do this for each POP3 or IMAP4 account.
  3. davidsol

davidsol New Member

Hi Rupertop-- thanks for this. A second (related) question:

Is there a way to configure the Mail application so that the "From:" field of outbound email has a different return address than the inbound account you're checking?

The reason why is that I use a spam filter that redirects my email for verification. I pull my email down from the spam filter web site, and when I write back, I want the "From:" address not to be the spam filter web account, but instead my "true" email address pre-spam checking. Make sense?

Does it allow you to specific a different "Reply-to" field, or, far better, permit you to have a "From:" field of your choice?

Thanks!