SMS location?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Hitokiri, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Clear List?

Does yours actually have a Clear List action?

On my Q, all mail and messaging folders have a Delete All command, which clears the selected folder. In addition, the Text Messages folders have a Clear Text Messages action which (I think) clears all text messages in every folder.

Steve
  2. LAMPRO

LAMPRO New Member

just use activesync, nav to the messaging folder in windows and delete all contents not the folders. go into attachments and do the same. clears up a slew of devstorage and clears out the whole system of any messages.
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Or "genius". :wink:

However, if you're referring to my post about the \Windows\Messaging folder, I believe that's only for E-mail, not text messages (I don't know whether MMS messages are stored there or not).

I have two text messages in my Text Messages Inbox folder right now, but they aren't in the \Windows\Messaging folder.

As this thread was specifically about text messages, I don't think that your suggestion will work.

Steve
  4. LAMPRO

LAMPRO New Member

genuios, im saying IT WORKS. i did it. all my messages (txt and emails- basically any type of message on the phone) are in that messages folder, and now for me they are currently on the storage card. i went into the messages folder and moved them all there, then used the hack from this forum to save the future ones there too. in 3 months i had 1200 messages. i mved them all using activesync and naving to that folder and deleteing them after saving them to the memcard. it all workd perfect. I DONT THINK YOUR SUGGESTION WILL WORK. MINES ALREADY DID.

And why was it suggested to buy some app that costs money when you can simply find out how to do it yourself. you dont need inbox extender for some $ to make that work, thats some sucka sh%t right there too. just help the noobs out and be cool about it or bounce!
  5. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Text Messages Folder

That hack you posted (twice) is a well-known hack for E-mail. However, as my previous post said, text messages are not stored in that folder, so your hack won't work for text messages.

Now, I have a Verizon Q, and I suppose it's possible that another carrier's model may work differently, but I'd be surprised if it did. The code to store E-mail and texts is probably not something the OEM can customize.

Prove it to yourself. Send a text message to yourself, then look in the \Windows\Messaging folder (or wherever you store your messages) and see if that text message is there (sort by date so the newest message is at the top or bottom of the folder). I bet you won't see it there.

Before you shoot your mouth off, sucka, you should know what you're talking about. Inbox Extender is free, and it adds some useful function to the Q. (And it probably works regardless of where your E-mail is stored.)

Steve
  6. LAMPRO

LAMPRO New Member

just sent myself a txt and its sitting on my memcard. not in my device messages folder, my memcard messages folder. the one with attachments folder in it as well. they are all there as i have been explaining. my windows/messsages folder is now empty as i have hacked it to go direct to memcard. i know i had 1200 txt and emails in there. i moved them to the memcard. hacked it so they all go there for the future. it freed up device mem space and thats that, dont know what to tell you genie.
  7. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Text Message Storage

How do you know it's on your memory card? What's the file name of that text message and did you actually look in the file to confirm that its contents are the text message?

I haven't moved my messages to a memory card, and when I send myself a text (I just sent one using Vtext.com), it is not in the \Windows\Messaging folder (although two E-mails that I received -- on two different accounts -- are there).

If you're actually seeing the text on the memory card, what model Q do you have (and what carrier do you use)?

Can anybody else confirm Lamp's results? Does anybody see text messages stored as files on their Q?

Steve
  8. LAMPRO

LAMPRO New Member

look, the deal is this. i send myself a txt, a email, whatever it is. it doesnt matter if i can open it, im not trying to. all i want is for it sit somewhere else, and go there directly to begin with. so since all my messages (txt or email) sit on my memcard, i know there is NOTHING in the devices windows/messages folder ever, even after i either send or recv txt or email. all the info which takes up space (mine was 12mb on the devstorage) was in that folder so i just copied it to the hd, then to the memcard and then deleted the contents of the folder on the device. so if i send myself an email, or a txt, the info is not in the message folder. it is still empty. there is no file there at all. its all on the memcard, in an IMAP folder with an ATTACHMENTS folder in that. i have a sprint q, but this shouldnt matter. all the messaging info is in those mpb files, just assigned to particular elements via the filename. its not like it would be a .txt file, .doc or a .eml file or something. the .mpb is 'messaging parameter build' made just for this type of thing. you could import them to outlook? i use outlook express so the compatibility is not available, but i wasnt trying to read them, i just wanted to save space on the device, so i moved them over and hacked the email/txt storage string. this is off topic and cross topic with like 10 other threads in this forum. good luck - bottom line huff and puff - what i did is working for me and thats what counts, i was trying to help a brutha out.
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Text Message Storage

That's the point that you're missing (over and over). Text messages are not stored in mpb files (at least, not on my Q). They are stored in system databases that the user can't move. (These system databases are also where the E-mail information displayed in the Inbox folder -- like the Subject, Sender and Date -- are stored. That's what my experiment renaming the mpb file proved.)

Regardless, the original poster asked how to delete all of his text messages at once, not how to move them. That's the question we were answering.

Now, maybe he wanted to delete the texts because they were taking up too much space, and maybe moving the E-mail to the memory card would help free up some memory for him, but that's a lot of assumptions. And the fact is that text messages can't be moved because they aren't stored in \Windows\Messaging (which is where the mpb files are).

As I stated above, I proved that by sending myself a text message and then looking into \Windows\Messaging. The only mpb files there were for E-mails; the text message was not there because it's not saved as an mpb file.

This makes sense, too. Texts are limited to 160 characters, and probably fit just fine in the system databases. E-mails can be much larger, so the header information is stored in the system databases, but the content and attachments are stored as files pointed to by the system databases. MMS messages are probably treated like E-mail, but I haven't tested that (it's not worth the $0.25 :laugh2:).

Steve
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

wow.... this is getting confusing, all i know is that before i installed Inbox Extender i had no delete all option when in the message list, and after i installed it i do have that option (together with mark all as read)
  11. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

Yeah, originally I knew what the question was, now I am just confused!! Perhaps Lamp and Pony can continue this debate privately as to not continue to confuse newbies who are looking for a simple answer to a simple question.
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

hehe... yea, let them figure it out, getting a headache reading all this :}
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Deleting Text Messages

There's nothing to figure out. I was just trying to stop the spread of the incorrect claim that moving E-mail to the memory card also moved text messages.

Here's the long and short of it:
    • To delete text messages, you can go into the Folders view and use the Delete All command to delete the messages in one folder or the Clear Text Messages command to delete all the text messages.
    • If you want to delete all messages from within a folder without having to go to the Folders view, you can get Inbox Extender.
    • Text messages are stored in system databases, not files, so redirecting E-mail to the memory card won't affect text messages. (This is important, because if somebody doesn't use E-mail much but does have lots of text messages, those messages are tasking up space on the device and the only way to free up that space is to delete them.)
    It's as simple as that.

Steve
  14. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

The original question was answered 3 pages prior. Pony and Lamp took it down a whole nother avenue. Plain and simple. But thanks for putting this puppy to bed.
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

uhm... ok, see when i last replied i was still in the assumption this thread was about delete all & Inbox Extender.

never mind.... no biggie.
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Deleting Text Messages

Your assumption is only partially correct. :wink: Remember the title of the thread -- SMS location? The original poster asked:

While I had answered that on the first page, Lamp disagreed and claimed (incorrectly) that you could move the text messages to another location. That led to posts back and forth about that.

Regardless, discussing the location of the text messages certainly was relevant to the original poster's question.

Steve
  17. for q

for q New Member

Inbox extender needs...

I think inbox extender is a great lil prog. but I think it needs to have a "confirm delete" so you dont mistakingly "delete all".
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

good point... and ok, tell us what happened :}