SMS location?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Hitokiri, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Hitokiri

Hitokiri New Member

SMS location?

where is the SMS folder? I would like to delete all my sms in mass instead of one by one
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

also i think another member said if you go in to the folder view IE: menu--> folders and then scroll over the folder and hit the right soft key an option for delete all will come up or clear text messages...
    although i dont konw if this comes up with or without the inbox extender
  4. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

most likely with.
  5. n99hockey

thats pretty much what i thought but i wont be testing that out as i have the extender and do not feel like uninstalling and reinstalling :tounge:
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

can't blame you smart man :}
  7. n99hockey

i have my moments :tounge:
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Wrong

Nope. I don't have Inbox Extender installed any more (I didn't like that it made the menu so long that you had to scroll), but the Delete All option (and Clear Text Messages option in the Text Messages account) is still there.

That's why guessing is generally a bad idea when trying to help people. :wink:

Steve
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Text Messages Folder

If it's like previous versions of Windows Mobile, mail information (including texts) are stored in system databases that you can't access.

Even if the text messages themselves were stored in a folder (like the contents and attachments of E-mail are), deleting them there might not work well. Because the information required to display the folder is in the system database, you might end up deleting the text of the message, but the Sender and Subject would still show up in the Inbox (or whatever) folder.

To see this for yourself, do the following:
    1. Send yourself an E-mail.
    2. Go to the \Windows\Messaging folder in File Explorer.
    3. Find the most recent mail file (it will have a long name with an mpb extension).
    4. Rename that file (by changing the extension to mpbx, for example).
    5. Go back to your Inbox and you'll see the E-mail is still there.
    6. Open the E-mail and you'll see it doesn't display any text.
    7. Go back to \Windows\Messaging and rename the file back to its original name.
    8. Go back to your Inbox, open the E-mail again and you'll see the text of the E-mail.
    The moral is that you shouldn't mess around with E-mail and texts unless you know what you're doing.

Steve
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i have a hard time believing this, if this is true then why did so many folks install this software -Inbox Extender-, i installed it because there was no 'Delete All' option for text messages..

never the less, i am not saying you are wrong btw.
  11. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

never heard of the inbox extender program but have been clearing out my text messages since i got my Q. you go to text messages, menu, folders, deleted items and then scroll down to empty folder. and eureka, they're all gone! Simple and painless!!:laugh2:
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Believe It

If you have a hard time believing it, why not uninstall the software and check for yourself? It's not like it's difficult to reinstall.

As for why people might use Inbox Extender, there are two reasons. First, it also provides Mark All As Read, I believe. Second, being able to delete all of your messages from within the folder itself is much easier than having to go to the Folders menu where Microsoft buried the command, then having to go back to the Inbox.

Steve
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ok that sounds like you are talking about the deleted items folder, i ma talking about the inbox and sent items folder.
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

ok so you are also saying that the delete all is -without installing InboxExtender- is only available in the deleted items folder... if that is what you mean i can agree & do not have to uninstall it :}
  15. TarHeelsRule!

TarHeelsRule! New Member

am i right in assuming that the inbox extender allows you to empty the folder from the inbox without the added steps of going to your deleted items folder. don't see the sense in clogging down my Q with yet another program when they can simply be deleted enmass from the deleted items folder.
  16. nags

nags New Member

Nope, it works on all folders. Just go into folder view and 'Clear list' to clear out a whole folder. Inbox, outbox, sent, etc..
  17. n99hockey

yes you would be correct
  18. nags

nags New Member

Thats what it does. Adds the option within the folder without having to go into folder view first.
  19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Inbox Extender

And, other than adding the Mark All As Read action, that's all it does, I believe.

It saves a couple of steps when deleting E-mail, which some people may find useful. However, I don't need to mark all of my E-mail as read, and I rarely need to delete it all. Even so, if it didn't make my E-mail folder menu so long that it required scrolling, I probably would have reinstalled it just in case.

But for now, it gets in the way more than it helps.

Steve
  20. LAMPRO

LAMPRO New Member

What ive been doing is using activesync to nav to the messaging folder mentioned above and just deleting the entire folder/ i actually did that after i copyd it to my hd. then i moved it to the memcard, and then hacked the setting so all my messages are being stored and saved on the memcard. works great and takes up 0 bytes of device storage. genious.