sMMS can only send pictures that were taken from the camera phone?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by fusion1, Sep 13, 2009.

1. fusion1

fusion1 Member

sMMS can only send pictures that were taken from the camera phone?

Any idea why picture texts with sMMS fail to work if you import a picture to the storage card or the device itself? If you take a pic with camera and just insert into sMMS text it works but not if you import a picture? Is there some strange hidden file extension it needs to see other than .jpg? I don't get it.

I ran out of room on my Moto Q and moved all my pictures off onto my laptop. I don't have my laptop with me today but I downloaded the original camera pictures I uploaded to a website. Once I placed those pictures back to the storage card, sMMS doesn't see them there even though I can see them there in filing cabinet or windows explorer with my phone hooked up to my computer. What happened?
  2. fusion1

fusion1 Member

These are the pictures I uploaded. Now when I download them from the meetup.com site and then put them back on my phone the sMMS software doesn't see the files. I selected "original file size" from the website as I didn't want it compressing file size or shrinking the size. Here's the website. Can anyone try it and download the original size of any picture, add it to your phone and see if sMMS can find it? Thanks.

http://www.meetup.com/Sarasota-Glenn-Beck-912-Project/photos/711598/10676842/#10676847
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

not sure how many smms users are around but i tried with my saga to make sure your website wasnt messing with things and i could download then send fine. it downloaded to my phone as a 80xsomething pic...as default. i did the beck poster... thumb_10676845.
  4. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Did you download the thumbnail? I was hoping you would try the original size. The website it is on, you need to click "ALL SIZES" and then you get a menu Thumbnail, Small, Medium, Large, Original. Please select original.

The original size is 1280x1024 for a total of 177kb. Can you try it again please?
  5. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

website wasnt very mobile friendly!! ill try again but it sounds like you were downloading from that site to your pc and then your q? i thought this plan was to get and sent pics without your pc? =)
  6. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Go to site on PC and then select and download the original size 1280x1024 pic to PC. Plug in Q to PC USB interface. Let Activesync or Mobile Device Center syn Q to PC, move the file from PC to Q's storage card or MY PICTURES folder. Run sMMS and when you select INSERT PICTURE see if it will recognize the file. I have tried all day and it won't even though it is in one of those folders.
  7. fusion1

fusion1 Member

I want to text these pictures.
  8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

again...i dont have smms and was only testing your website download conversion! sounds like you have a storage card...do you need a bigger one for pic storage? are the file extensions getting changed from .jpeg to .jpg...check that...maybe a glitch with the app. can you view your pic on phone and then hit send via smms or is smms only import from itself?
  9. fusion1

fusion1 Member

I'm thinking the site may change it to .jpeg. I tried just renaming .jpeg back to .jpg and no difference. Similarly, I renamed a camera pic on my phone to .jpeg and sMMS still recognized it. The size of my storage card is plenty big it is 2GB and I only have 5 of the pics I downloaded from that site.
  10. fusion1

fusion1 Member

I can view the 1280x1024 pic on my phone via file manager and view it in media player. There is no way however to send it via sMMS through that. It gives the option to regular text but as we know Sprint doesn't allow picture texts.
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ahhh...and bummer. so, if you take a pic..move to pc..move back again to q..can you send it? if not it sounds like activesync is hosing it. if so your lil website is!
  12. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Just took a picture transferred it to my PC, then renamed it and added the jpeg extension and sMMS can see it, but somehow not the images taken off the meeting.com site. Any idea what that site could be doing to the file structure to where it would not be readable by sMMS?
  13. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

i dont..but i use photobucket(free)and it works great. can upload to it also via mms or email. i cant really tell if your website is personalized or not (mobile its pretty rough to tell) but with bucket you can personalize albums and what not.
  14. mmalecki

mmalecki New Member

I have been able to send pictures with SMMS that I took with my phone as well as those taken from a digital camera and then transferred over to my Moto Q. Size does not appear to be an issue nor does format.