SmartToolkit updates

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by bootheresa, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Thanks.....I feel shame now.
  2. kilcher

kilcher New Member

Ok, Maybe I am slightly dense, but I am having trouble making a "separator" in the first slot of the popup launcher. Can someone give me exact details?

When you guys say separator, do you mean for me to delete the first slot, so there are only 3 programs? When I do that, the first slot is still occupied, while the 4th slot is empty.

Maybe you guys mean separator to be a shortcut? When I go to add a gadget, there are only shortcut, popup launcher, volume control, profile, and lock keypad.

I think this is supposed to be really easy, but somehow I am missing something.
  3. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

When you are configuring the popup launcher, in the menu where you can add a program or move stuff up and down the various slots in the launcher, there's an option to add separator. Click on that, and then use the Move Up option on the menu to move it up to the first slot of the launcher.
  4. kilcher

kilcher New Member

Oh i see what I did. i mistakenly got the gadgets and popup launcher settings mixed up. i do see the seperator option now. thanks!
  5. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

caann anyone post a cab--downloadable from a phone--of rc08 as I cannot reach a computer :/
  6. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

7. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

oooh thanks!
  8. jrussell789

jrussell789 New Member

See tips to prevent lockups on e-natives.com.

"
    "

SmartToolKit website e-natives.com has a posting by its creator on what to do to limit Lockup/Freezes. It is for the latest version RC09-CORE 1, but from my experience, will apply to all versions.

The bottom line is, disable when possible, or use defaults when not, all the extra stuff 'gadgets' and 'plugins' options that come with, but are less important than, SmartToolKit's primary purpose. That is, the customizable and organizable XP/Vista like START Menu.

Since many, if not most, 'extras' with this app are enabled when first installed, you need to read the developers posting regarding stability problems on some phones running other apps etc, and start with the 'primary' base START menu functions, check for stability on your phone for a few days before adding 'extras'. Then begin to enable extras, one at a time testing for a few days use each one, before adding more.

SmartToolKit is a great and FREE app, but the developer is trying to do too many things, before solving bug issues with the 'base' app. Still, it is well worth using, even if it means you may have to reboot from time to time.

He has put an awful lot of thought and work into this excellent app, so remember to hit his PayPal button to thank him if you use it on your phone.
  9. jrussell789

jrussell789 New Member

Please give version of SmartToolKit you use/refer to. Tx

Please always give version of SmartToolKit/Apps you use/refer to when posting about them, either good or bad. Quite often link referrals get removed at the destination as time goes on.

The latest version of SmartToolKit is RC09-CORE 1. It has some problems on some phones/OSs if not run in its most basic START menu function only. But I believe, from using and reading about others Lockup/Freeze problems, most all version, when run wide open with all functions enabled, has problems.
  10. jb0615

jb0615 New Member

I had to laugh as I read this, and actually, I had to cry when it happened to me. SmartToolKit caused my phone to crash and continually reboot until a hard reset was necessary.

I'm soooo glad it is a free ap, because I would have been really hacked off if it wasn't free. I spent a few bucks and got Sprite Backup after that! Now, whenever I add something 'new', I do a complete backup. So far so good.

I have not put SmartToolKit back on my phone. It is very attractive and has a lot of potential. Maybe someday when the bugs are worked out I will give it another try.
    jb0615
  11. L0c0

L0c0 New Member

ver8 works fine for me... has not locked up...ummm. maybe once. but very stable... ver9 kept crashing...so I went back to 8
  12. I kept going back and forth with this software and haven't used it in two months. Phone much more stable. I do miss it sometimes, just because it looked cool, but I got used to the default launcher real quick.

13. just a refresher, this eliminates the need to go hit home twice?
    I had this off the phone for a while, tried right menu, but didn't want to add more $$ to my phone so went back to this.
    Now I have to uninstall ilumsoft's screen capture and maniac's reset button to avoid conflicts.
  14. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Yeah, you wouldn't need to hit home twice after this tweak. BTW, Ilium's Screen Capture software works fine with STK.
  15. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Still using this setup the way we discussed and haven't had it lockup in 6 months. I particularly like using it to switch or kill tasks quickly.

Most of my most frequent apps are either on the start menu or in an Application Window on CHome sliding windows HS. My Q9c is getting better all the time and 6.1 has put it over the top.
  16. jrussell789

jrussell789 New Member

Note Tony and all others, Tony's suggestion does eliminate the need to hit Home Twice to get to Home, but the valuable trade-off is you lose the very nice feature that the default TaskBar HotKey assigned to Home key provides:

1. With On Home Screen in Start\Control Panel\General set to
    SmartToolKit Home Screen, STK's Taskbar stays hidden and WM's
    Taskbar is displayed as normal. Now when Home (STK's Taskbar
    Hotkey) is press once, STK's Taskbar is now displayed instead for a
    length of time set in Start\Control Panel\Appearance\ AutoHide
    Taskbar. This now allows you to ACCESS STK TASKBAR IN ANY
    APPLICATION. not just Home Screen. No need to go to home to get
    the START Menu or the TASK Manager. NICE!

2. WM usually has a WM standard fuction permanent assigned to the right
    SoftKey, for example CONTACTS. With TaskBar Hotkey assigned to
    Home Key, WM's assignment to right Softkey is not permanently
    replace by STK's Taskbar assignment TASKs. So you have ACCESS TO
    BOTH WM and STK's RIGHT SOFTKEY assignments. NICE!

The trade-off of course is you have to hit the Home Key twice to get to Home when in another application, but then I find you rarely need to go to
    Home at all when STK's Taskbar is displayed in the other application for the time you specify in AutoHide TaskBar. Once you have selected either Start or Task on STK's Taskbar, there is no timeout. You stay in the STK TaskBar until you leave Start or Task Menus. NICE!

PS: Per STK's Author (see e-natives.com Home page lower left corner), it is recommended you remove all default HotKey assignments in case they interfere with function already assign by your phone mfg. But, at least in RC09 CORE 1 version of STK, you cannot remove all HotKeys because, due to a bug, if you do not leave at least, STK will automatically reinstall the default Hotkey assigns Taskbar and Clipboard. So you are kinda stuck with the TaskBar assign anyway. If Taskbar HotKey is interfering with a phone mfg assign function the the Home Key when in Home Screen, you can either reassign another key to the TaskBar or Add a Delay(hold time) to it.
    Just hit Action Key when TaskBar Hotkey assignment is highlighted in Start\Control Panel\Hotkeys.

17. Good because I like theirs better than STK
  18. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

I love this app. Too bad it renders my phone unusable.
    Locking up every time I tried to use it gets old fast.

In fact it locked up on me and I had to yank the battery while I was showing off the interface to the guys at work.

I can't wait for a stable version, RC08 withe the tweaks was still unstable.
  19. jrussell789

jrussell789 New Member

Frank, I have had success, finally, with RC09 setting recommended by STKs Author at e-Natives.com. PLUS:
    1. Do not use STKs My Schedules. They do not Alert if your phone's
    keyboard is Locked anyway. So, pretty much useless.
    2. Do not use STKs My Contacts. Will lockup your phone.
    3. Do not use Skinning, Auto KeyLock, Animation
    4. Do not use HotKeys except TaskBar. Delete ClipBoard and any others.
    Taskbar(displays STKs Taskbar) is defaulted to the HOME(91) key. If
    Your phone already has something assigned to the Home key when in
    Home Screen, then reassign key in Hot Keys or delete TaskBar Hotkey.
    5. Set Appearance AutoHide Taskbar to 5 Seconds, if Taskbar Hotkey is
    is used. This is the time STKs Taskbar will be displayed when Home key
    is pressed once. Home Screen is displayed if Home key is pressed
    twice. This allows you to access STKs Taskbar even when you are in
    another applications screen. NICE!
    6. 'Disable' TaskBar HotKey On in General Settings. Use 'Default' in
    BackKey on DeskBar
    7. Remove Plugins and Gadgets from Gadgets Bar.

You may now ask, "What's left worth using". My answer is, the most useful and needed FIX for Microsoft's Win Mobile stupidity of not allowing organization of a 3 page START menu that has no order, not even alphabetically. Burying Task Manager inside an obscure folder within this useless START menu. And finally, providing no way to access their useless START menu in another applications screen. STK SOLVES ALL THESE PROBLEMS.

Give it another try and let me know how you make out.
  20. actually the programs in the start menu are in order, once you get past the programs in rom.
    If one were to do all that to get it working, then they should just buy right menu.