SmartToolkit updates

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by bootheresa, Oct 1, 2007.

1. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Maybe a reinstall would help you out (and you can make sure that you install RC08 instead of RC09, which has caused some lockups for some folks).
  2. TCKelsey05

TCKelsey05 New Member

Yea i reinstalled it and it worked for about 10 minutes before freezing worse than before.. so i had to unistall it.. i really wish it would worked i loved the screensaver option. Is there any other program thats similar to this?
  3. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Did you read the previous post where we found if you go back to the home screen to use this you can avoid lockups. Either hit home twice or delete the hot key and then you just hit home and use it, Also the first position of the popup launcher locks up so I installed a separator bar there so I don't use it. With these caveats I have no lockups.
  4. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Hard to believe that many are trying so hard to use this unstable software.... It's even more hard to believe that the author put out the worst version (9) and basically seized working to finish a stable final version.

It's a shame too because I really liked this concept. :frown:
  5. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Is it freezing in the same places as before? Was something in particular happening when your Q froze? Like DrQ said, there are a few things you can do to avoid lockups. Like deleting the taskbar hotkey and using a separator in the first slot of the popup launcher.
  6. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I've been wondering when the next version will come out myself. Despite the problems that some ppl have had, RC08 has worked swimmingly for me with some minor tweaks.
  7. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Me too. Had my new Q9C for a month and Zero lockups with STK after the two tweaks. Also two months before that on my Q1.
  8. TCKelsey05

TCKelsey05 New Member

No it froze in different places. And it would freeze so that i could do absolutely nothing and have to take out the battery. And could you further explain what you are talking about DrQ, sorry im not very savy in any of this.

Thanks, Kelsey
  9. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

DrQ is another member here at EQ. He posted a few posts above me. I would suggest this: Go back to the STK's website and make sure you download version RC08. Then with STK running on your Q, shut the program down (probably have to do it in task manager), and uninstall it. Then install version RC08. Then, once you've got it running, go to Start-->Control Panel-->Hotkeys and delete the Taskbar hotkey. Then, if you want to use the popup launder, go to Start-->Control Panel-->Gadgets, and customize the popup launcher with a Separator in the first slot of the popup launcher.
  10. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Thanks, I couldn't have said it better.
  11. cwintermeyer

cwintermeyer New Member

Even with tweaking, I still can't use STK RC08 or RC09

Like some other posters here, I have repeatedly attempted to use STK because the functionality is compelling and it offers some great features. However, I encountered the same problems that others have with RC09. So, I shut down STK, uninstalled it, rebooted to verify that it was correctly removed (all program files and registry entries were gone), then installed RC08 and followed the configuration tips posted by "rainmakerrc" and "DrQ" to eliminate the lockup problems identified in RC08.

I am running WM6 (CE OS 5.2.1810 Build 18325.0.6.3) on a Motorola/Verizon Q9m (NL-BP_C_03.20.28P, MP_BSP_C_04.08.65-15P_NM_P3.0). I have no custom applications running at startup, and the only things in the \Windows\StartUp folder are the standard "BTTray.lnk" and "dfcontacts.lnk". I have a device lock password, and the phone is set to lock automatically after 15 minutes using the standard WM6 security feature. (I need this functionality; turning WM6 security off is NOT an option for me.)

I am still experiencing a problem (soft keys stop functioning correctly once WM6 security locks the phone) that requires a reboot to resolve. Below are the steps that I use to consistently recreate the problem. This problem occurs when WM6 locks the phone after inactivity, but the steps below include manually locking the phone to speed up my testing and achieve the same result.

1. Turn the phone on
    2. After the phone boots up, press left soft key ("Unlock") and enter password to unlock phone
    3. Use WM6 task manager to ensure there are no running programs, then exit WM6 task manager
    4. Start SmartToolkit
    5. Start a program (e.g. Internet Explorer)
    6. Press HOME key, followed by space bar (to lock the phone)
    7. Press left soft key ("Unlock") and enter password to unlock phone
    8. Use SmartToolkit Task button to go back to the program that was started earlier (e.g. Internet Explorer)
    9. Press HOME key, followed by space bar (to lock the phone)
    10. Press left soft key ("Unlock")
    When I follow these steps, the next thing I see is the original WM6 start menu, and the soft keys are labeled "More" (left key) and "Menu" (right key) but neither one functions. If I press the HOME key I am taken to my start screen but the soft key labels don't change and still neither one functions. The only way to recover is to use the END key to power down the phone, then power up again.

I've uninstalled STK and am going to wait for a new release candidate before I decide if I want to try again. I would REALLY like to use this software, once the glitches are gone or at least manageable. I'm willing to live with some quirks, but I can't use software that requires a reboot every time there's a hiccup.

Good luck, and thank you to all who have posted helpful tips and great information on here.

- Chris
  12. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Have you tried using the STK keyboard lock instead of WM 6.0's. I have that set to the first position on Gadgets and it just requires the "Back Key" then "Center Key" to activate. Although I do not use it with a password which may be the glitch in the setup and I know you need it. I don't so it locks fine and has a nice screen saver.
  13. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Yeah, I believe the problem could be using WM6's keylock instead of STK's. I remember reading (maybe in the forums over there or here at EQ) that doing so caused lock up issues. See if that cures your lockup ails. If not, then as DrQ suggested, it could be the use of a password for locking.
  14. obfuscated7ruth

obfuscated7ruth New Member

when i have stk up and wmp up for an extended period of time, my phone stop recieving signal until i restart my phone. does anyone know that cause of this?
  15. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I have started using SmarToolKit and I love it. I did have a issue with it freezing. I had it installed on the card, but because of a recommendation here on eQ, I reinstalled in on my device and it is working like a charm. Oh, I am using the RC09.
  16. obfuscated7ruth

obfuscated7ruth New Member

i'm using rc08. after many trials it is the combination of running smarttoolkit and wmp at the same time that's causing my phone to lose reception. I think it's the firmware update that i did that caused it to do that.
  17. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

I've got RC09 to work somehow?...

Okay,

I tinkered with this thing for a couple of hours and after many, many resets I have found a way to have RC09 on the Q with global skinning, and no freeze ups. (knocks on wood)

I have the 1st Gen. Q with mol3

I did a lot of things so I don't know which exactly worked (sort of an unorthodoxed method :2cool:), but hey it works.

These are the things I did.

I downloaded the full zip from some guy in poland's website. (he's keeping the files and all updates in one spot until e-natives finishes core2. www.erpe.pol.pl/stk) Did all this from my Q, because I can open zip files now, thanks to Feadie :2cool:.

I loaded the main cab and all of the security cabs. (I think it was the 1st 3 files in the pack), then did this:

1. As soon as you install and start RC09 go to General settings in the stk start menu. (good luck, I kept getting immediate freezes as soon as I started the damn thing :angry:)

2. Under the tab entitled Taskbar hot key on Desktop, I selected Disable.
    3. Back key on Deskbar, I selected Show Gadgets
    4. I then went out and back into the stk start menu to the Hotkey tab and deleted all except for the clipboard, (I reassigned it to the space bar.)
    5. I then went out and back into the stk start menu to Apperances. Scrolled down to animation and changed it from fade to scroll.
    6. Next I did a reset (power down, then up)

And for the next 3 hours I went through every program I had on the phone and nothing froze.

Its been about 15 hours (with normal everyday usage) and no freezes.

Global skinning is so damn cool looking. Its like I have a new phone. I hope it continues to work this time.
  18. crashdau

crashdau Member

I have the Q9M w/ RC08 installed with DrQ's tweaks implemented. I followed your testing procedure on my phone and had the same results as you. I suggest closing the app b4 you lock the phone, since you won't be using while the phone is locked, why leave it open.

The current setup (described in the 1st para) works fine until I followed those steps. Maybe the fix is "Don't do that!" {just kidding} but seriously, I can't imagine a scenario that I would start an app, lock the phone and task to re-open the app, then lock the phone again. My thinking is "if I don't have time to deal with it now, then come back to it when I have more time, so exit or close that app.

Just my .02

I think I'm going to try KOOLWATER's experiment tonight to see if it works for me. One question though, When you say you "all of the security cabs. (I think it was the 1st 3 files in the pack), " do you mean the certificate cab's ?

Thanks
    Scott
  19. KOOLWATER

KOOLWATER New Member

Yes, the certificate cabs.

The very 1st time I tried RC09 I didn't install any of them, because I didn't need to on Verizon, but this time, I thought... hey it wouldn't hurt to try it...
  20. crashdau

crashdau Member

Well...I couldn't wait. Just re-installed RC09 E-Natives version and it was NG...Froze quickly. Uninstalled, rebooted, installed WM-SDK version w/ Certificate cab then made changes KW suggests and it seems to be operating ok.....1.5 to 2 hours....Will report back later or tomorrow with functionality and Freezing reports.

Scott