Smartphone Newb with Gmail/Q9 question (pop vs. IMAP)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by dajael, Dec 5, 2007.

1. dajael

dajael New Member

Smartphone Newb with Gmail/Q9 question (pop vs. IMAP)

So when I got my Q9c last week, I took the easy road and let it configure my two gmail account settings automatically. I quickly noticed that I was getting duplicate copies of emails on the phone.

ex: I send an email to the wife from my computer ( I use Outlook 2007) which goes through the gmail servers using POP and I would receive that same email on my phone...as if I mailed it to myself. The phone was also set to use POP btw. Same scenerio would happen if I emailed her from the phone, I'd get that message sent right back to the phone (as well as it being delivered to her). No matter what I did (Send or Reply) The Q would get the email delivered back to it as a new message as if it were in a loop...but it would also delivered it to the right recipient.

So tonight I decided to try IMAP settings on the phone which work fine, however now I have cut off my nose to spite my face. If I leave Outlook open on my computer (set to send/Receive automatically) and send a message from say Yahoo to one of my gmail accounts, whichever device grabs it first keeps it. I don't get the duplicates anymore but Outlook on the computer doesn't download the message to my desktop if my phone grabbed it first...which totally sucks for me.

Any constructive thoughts on the subject? Yes I know I can just do a sync and get all the mail into one place but this duplicates thing is buggin me.

Peace,

Jason
  2. ReggaePoweredDC2

ReggaePoweredDC2 New Member

There was a thread about using Gmail with POP to stop the duplicate e-mails. As for IMAP, Windows Mobile is not supported at this time.
  3. dajael

dajael New Member

I'll search for the thread but I think I already read it and it didn't help...I'll look again. As for WM support, as far as Gmail is concerned it is now supported. I followed their instructions for the setup.
  4. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

5. stine

stine New Member

Imap does not work correctly on windows mobile yet:

Link