Smart monitor

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by MBK2, Jul 7, 2008.

?

what do you prefer/use: standard icon bar OR Smartmonitor

1. standard icon bar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Smartmonitor

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. if Smartmonitor: it never locks up, works great

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. if Smartmonitor: it does lock up from time to time

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Smart monitor

I was kinda seeing that with the SmartMonitor plugins.... no place for icon bar notifications... like the missed call icon, EVDO icon, yada... of course you can just add the Missed Calls plugin, but I think it would be a better idea if Crazykay would stack the battery & signal meters to one side... thus opening up the rest of the icon bar for what you're talking of kogama...:tounge: Well at least that's what I 'tthink' you're referring to...:frown::wink:
  2. kogama

kogama Active Member

the smartmonitor battery text and signal text you know like the percentage keeps turning black and i cant see them.............................
  3. docmac129

docmac129 New Member

Seems like u have alot of problems w/Smartmonitor Kogama. As far as using iconbar, MBK2, u can have it, cuz it is fugly & useless. Once u get a missed call, the mcs will pop up, then just select the soft key that says call history, & u will c all the numbers that called u.
  4. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

I know that to some the Missed Calls screen is popular, but to me it is absolutely useless and a waste of my screens space for something that isn't that important to me.... I'd much more rather have everything I want on my screens all at once without some missed calls screen taking over.... completely a useless waste IMHO... of course unless you really don't have anything else on your screen that you may need to view.
    But that's just me.. if you like having a missed calls screen completely take over, U can have it...LMAO

As for the iconbar... I do agree that it is kinda fugly and plain... but it's functional, and functional is important to me over fabulous looks that doesn't quite serve any vital functions for me...lmao. However, if you were to use smartmonitor to the side of the iconbar that would display the battery and signal strength, and still have the other side to report to you with tiny icons that you have a message, missed call, or EVDO connection... well that would be cool... Even more cool if you could enter your own icons for those things onto that iconbar. Make the iconbar transparent and add those things as I've suggested... would look perfect to 'me'.... and without that missed calls screen that many seem to like but isn't functional for my wants...lol:2cool::wink:
  5. docmac129

docmac129 New Member

I have to disagree with u on how functional the iconbar is. All those icons tell u, that u like so much, is that u have a message. They dont tell u how many of each type, which IMHO, most would like to know, hence why the majority, if not ALL of the screens being made these days have seperate counters on the HS. Also, I could give a rats butt, that I have an evdo connection or not. Just as long as I can get on the net, is good enough 4 me. But to each their own. And if I could do what u suggest about making my own icons for the iconbar, I would be either a programmer for Microsoft, or just design 1 with phonealarm, neither of which I have time for.
  6. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

HaHaHaHaHaHa... lighten up dude. I used the EVDO icon as an example so not really a big deal... I would use SmartMonitor and add my own meters while adding the signal, battery, Ram usage, and Rom usage meters... but alas, SmartMonitor is very, very unstable of a piece of code:thumbdown<_<.

Now, for my icon bar icons, I would change it up a bit if I could as well... but as it is now I utilize it for my Text/MMS & Vmail plugins, then the rest of the icons (battery, signal, as well as little icons when I do have missed calls &/or messages... yes I know I can just look at the counters for those things, but the icons catch my eye better...)
    If I had a better option of signal and battery meters other than SmartMonitor, I'd be on it... but there isn't, so there we go. To be honest, knowing how unstable SmartMonitor could potentially be, but still adding it to the XMLs is A Bit negligent IMHO.

But ultimately it all comes down to personal preferences as you've stated.... and I could either take or shitcan the iconbar.... and add whatever I can of the things I prefer into the XML rather than in the iconbar plugin.... but I like the few I have created or edited-(mostly from DerAlta). They all meet my requirements for what suits 'MY' eye, and 'THAT' is all that matters to me.... and you're right, I couldn't really give a rat's ass what suits your eye..LMFAO... I leave that to you... :tounge::2cool:
  7. crazykay

crazykay New Member

whoa boys! its getting heated! first off thank you rudeboy for cleaning up my thread. second off mbk2 what do you mean when you say smartmonitor is unstable? im not quite sure I understand.. I see both yours and docs points on both situations. I personally like the meter bars and I try to put the useful stuff on the HS's I make. but like you say to each there own.. I have an idea. since im potQ can someone start a poll on smartmonitor and iconbar and lets see what other users prefer???
  8. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Similar experiences for me W/ SmartMonitor

I haven't really been following it and something about the previous version being more stable?? Not sure...

But as for the IconBar or SmartMonitor... I didn't really endorse neither, just what suits me and my Q usage habits. The better question to poll with is how many have experienced lock-ups trying to use SmartMonitor?
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you're welcome...

i need a good example to show Smartmonitor in the poll, everybody knows what the icon bar looks like, but yea Scott or me can make a poll.
  10. smartmonitor is a great plugin for me, however, it sometime is inaccurate with the signal strength, etc.
    Every now and then it needs a refresh.
    I love it though.
  11. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

You should add whether or not it has ever locked-up their Q as well into that poll...lol

This is similar to how SmartToolKit was heralded, only to cause issues for many who tried to utilize it, includng me. Not sure if it ever launched a 'fixed' version. Also, SmartMonitor is no longer being developed is it??
  12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

:}

i have never used Smartmonitor long enough to have lockups (not sure about it's development)... and regarding STK, i agree... i have read about many issues and most now use a previous release because the newest version isn't very stable, personally i would not tolerate an unreliable piece of software on my Q and have a hard time why people complain about small things yet choose to run buggy software....

but again, to each it's own..
  13. crazykay

crazykay New Member

well as you all have seen I use smartmonitor in 95 percent of my HS's and have never.. not one time had a lock up on my Q..
  14. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you have a Q9, correct ?... like i said, i am impartial since i never used it long enough to know if it would lock up and/or cause any other issues...
  15. crazykay

crazykay New Member

yes I do have a Q9c on sprint

16. I never had it lock up on my 9m, just sometimes it is inaccurate.
  17. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

What would happen if someone tried to run all these things on your PC? It would freeze up and probably burn up. Sometimes you just have to ask youself, do I need every app possible, or does it just look cool? Think about how many different ways do we know we got mail. We got pop ups, icons all over the place, sliding panels, the screen can flash and on and on. Looks cool, is it worth it.Keep it simple, I digress..how ever you spell it.
  18. crazykay

crazykay New Member

I will have to agree with tony and say its not as accurate as it could be. however it is accurate enough to know if your phones about to die or if you have good service or not
  19. docmac129

docmac129 New Member

I am aware that Smartmonitor has had locking up issues for some, but for many others, it is a non-issue. Maybe it is a compatibility problem with some other 3rd party apps loaded onto some people's Q's. I dont know. I do know it is more visually appealing, for me, to use it, and I dont have the lockups. My thought is this, if it works 4 u then use it. If iconbar is your preference, then use that. But if u make the choice to use it, & it don't work out 4 u, don't bitch about it. Just remove it. So many times i've read tons of threads about STK locking up their Q's. Even though, I read these things, I went ahead & tried it, & it locked mine up as well. So I just removed it, and never thought about it again. I, like RB, don't understand why people continue to use something they know is unstable, & bitch about it. @ MBK2, maybe u were upset at my comments, but I was never bothered by yours (so I dont get the lighten up dude comment). I was just expressing my opinion, & you did also. Thats all. No need to feel attacked. I agree w/u on some of your points.
  20. crazykay

crazykay New Member

so rb what do you need to set up a poll?? lets do this.. do you prefer smartmonitor or the iconbar and have you had lock up issues with smartmonitor and if so what Q are you using?? sound good??