Slow .pdf viewing -- any solutions?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by jespley, Jan 9, 2009.

1. jespley

jespley New Member

Slow .pdf viewing -- any solutions?

I have a Q9m which included the DocsToGo software which allows viewing of .pdfs. However, it's pretty slow when switching between pages of the .pdf (something like 2-30 secs of waiting every time you switch).

I've also tried the Westtek (aka Clearvue) pdf viewer but it also was very slow to change between views and didn't seem to even scroll smoothly between views. It was like it rendered each segment of the page at a particular zoom level and if you needed to see the next segment, it took its time switching to the next segment.

Has anyone had luck with software that will view .pdfs with relatively painless scrolling? Something like one might expect on a computer (or dare I say it, on an iphone)?

Thanks.

PS My .pdfs are all a storage card but I don't think that's the problem.
  2. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

opening and viewing pdf's will never be the same speed via mobile as a pc!! really?! although i will say all the big ones i've opened have opened/rendered in 15 seconds or less.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

it all depends on the size of the file

-Sent from my Q9n
  4. jespley

jespley New Member

Well I wouldn't mind 15 secs as a one time thing but everytime I switch pages it takes 2-30 secs, which becomes very cumbersome when skimming a document. I watched a friend use his iphone and it didn't seem to lag when skimming a pdf, which made me think that maybe it was a software limitation since I don't think the iphone's processor is much more (if at any) powerful than the Q9m's.

Thanks for the replies nonetheless.
  5. jespley

jespley New Member

I'm not the only one who experiences 2-30 sec load times per page, right?
  6. n99hockey

you must be
    and if you think 2 seconds is to long you probably should look at the priorities you have
  7. jespley

jespley New Member

Thanks for the useless and rude reply.

Let me try one more time to get useful information.

My typical usage for .pdfs on my Q is to open a ~ 50 page .pdf. I often am looking for specific information but I do not know what page the information is on (and the documents often do not have tables of contents). Therefore, I scroll through the pages looking for the information. 20-30 sec. load times per page are typical for the ~400KB to 1MB files I'm using (the 2 sec. load times I mentioned are atypical). Therefore, if the salient information is on, for example, page 40 then I'm looking at 16 minutes of staring at the screen to get the information I want.

On a PC, I can scroll as fast as I can hit page down. On my friend's iphone it was as fast as he could touch scroll. I was surprised at how inferior the Q9m seemed to be in this regard and hence I came here looking for help.

So, does anyone know how to get better scrolling .pdf performance out of the Q9m? It's possible that the answer is no but I thought I should try one last time before looking for a better mobile.
  8. n99hockey

your welcome

and if you havent seen by now it is what it is
    and if your trying to view a 50 page pdf on the phone and you know its on page 40 i believe there is a 'go to page' and if not then well i guess you know the answer by now

-Sent from my Q9n
  9. jespley

jespley New Member

Enough said
  10. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

xpdf foxit clearvue picsel are others