SlingPlayer choppy

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Nikhil72, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Nikhil72

Nikhil72 New Member

SlingPlayer choppy

Hey everyone. is anyone else finding the SLingPlayer to be choppy? I have a solid full signal in the NYC area and get around 400 kbps...SlingPlayer only hits 100-150 and averages 9 or 10 fps. My speed on a PC is flawless whether connected remotely or on my home network, so I don't think my uplink speed is a culprit.
  2. spozzie

spozzie New Member

I sure you have already..but if not.

Have you tried out the different Encoding Parameters via the Player Options and then Encoding menu? I had to change some such as the Video FPS (options range from 1-20 to Full rate). Lots of little tweaks thru this menu that may improve your playback performance.
  3. Kupe

Kupe New Member

What is your actual upstream broadcast rate from your home network router? It sounds like it's in the 100-150 kbps. If so, you'll need to manually tune your Slingplayer by going to:
    Menu-->Player Options-->Encoding. Turn off "Enable Slipstream" and set the following parameters:
    - Video Bitrate: 90
    - Video FPS: 20
    - I-Frame Interval: 7

This should reduce the choppiness noticeably. From this point, you can play around with the numbers keeping the following in mind:
    - Audio will add 20-30 kbps to your stream rate (so far you can't adjust this on the Q). You don't want your Audio + Video to exceed your available total kbps so adjust accordingly
    - FPS will directly affect smoothness. Higher "excess" bitrate available will allow higher framrates.
    - The I-Frame interval describes the interval between complete video frames in the broadcast. Most video frames consist of only those pixels that appear to have changed between frames. A full frame (I-frame) contains the full resolution of pixels (256x192 on the Q) and requires more bandwidth to pass through. A lower I-Frame number means more frames will have full resolution (with an I-Frame of 1, every frame will be full resolution) and for a fixed bit rate, low I-Frame numbers = lower frame rate. Higher I-Frame numbers will allow higher frame rates, but a "blurrier" or "more ghosted" picture, especially with high action. By playing around with these seetings, you can eventually find the stream quality that suits you.

I have (crappy) Verizon aDSL with an uplink speed of 110 kbps. I run my Slingplayer with 75 kbps video, 20 fps, and an i-Frame rate of 10. At these settings, I get wholly usable video with frame rates of about 14-17 fps (for example, I can easily read the ticker across the bottom of the CNN Headline News broadcast).

On my i730 (for comparison), even with it's 516 MHz processor, I get similar performance (15-19 fps). When I use the wi-fi on the i730, I get a full 30fps using the "Enable Slingstream Optimization" setting for the encoding at 400+kbps.

Hope this helps a little.
  4. Nikhil72

Nikhil72 New Member

Thanks--the odd thing is, my upload speed when I test it is 400+ kbps. I'm using Earthlink Cable provided by Time Warner in the NY area.

I'm actually getting some solid video now, so I think things are clearing up somewhere.
  5. Kupe

Kupe New Member

Bandwidth, especially wireless, is sometimes like the weather - hard to predict, but often changing.