Slingbox questions

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by Suture, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Suture

Suture New Member

Slingbox questions

I am thinking of picking up a Slingbox for use with my Motorola Q. My TV/DVR tuner is a Motorola STB (can't recall exact model) -- it's the Verizion FIOS TV one -- which has 2 tuners. If I get a Slingbox and view TV over the Q, would someone else be able to watch a different channel on the TV simultaneously, or would they be forced to watch what I'm watching?

Also, I can't find the exact post, but I thought I read something indicating that in order to stream TV to my Q via the Slingbox, I'd have to put my STB into 4:3 mode instead of the 16:9 I use. Anyone know about this?
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure you'd have to watch the same program. The SlingBox takes control over your remote. So, if you are on your Q and change the channel, it changes it on your television. The STB mode (4:3 vs 16X9) isn't really the issue, it's the output 480p/i vs 720p vs 1080i. The entry level SlingBox requires you output at 480 (not sure if was i or p). The premium slingbox will convert 1080i output to a format suitable for the Q. I believe that requires additional cables not included with that Slingbox. I had the entry level and it worked fine with my HD Tivo once I changed the resolution of my Tivo to 480. Format was still 16x9 on Tivo to TV.

-Chris
  3. lish

lish New Member

i have the slingbox pro and a motorola set-top box/dvr (6412 i think).

the slingbox is connected to the svid output of the box so everything is being converted down to 480 anyway (you only get 720p or 1080i from the component/dvi/hdmi outputs) and it doesn't matter if it's 16x9 or 4x3... but (there's always a but) the motorola dvr will not display the on screen graphics (menus) on the svid unless you set it to preserve 4x3 pic @ 480i.

so, the tv is connected to the dvi output and the slingbox is connected to svid... the dvr is set to display 1080i with preserve 4x3 pic @ 480i.

to answer your other question... the person at home in front of the tv will have to watch the same thing you are watching on your q or switch the tv to a different input source.

hope this helps.
  4. Suture

Suture New Member

Thanks for the reponses; I appreciate the info. I guess I'll try out Orb instead after I get a faster CPU.
  5. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Correct me if I am wrong. But couldn't you just get a second satellite or cable box and hook that up in another room to slinbox without a TV even. That way you would have a setup exclusive just for slingbox and no conflict with someone else watching TV at your home.
  6. troutseth

troutseth Guest

YES. Exactly what I did!
  7. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Never thought of that. I might consider getting the Slingbox again down the road. That's probably an easier option than trying to force it into my main setup.
  8. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Chris, I have to tell you if you are a sports fan or you travel at all . . . it pays for itself in short order. I love the friggin thing
  9. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Did you sell your slingbox Chris? I think the tax man is going to buy me a new slingbox. I am traveling to Dallas in March and I got to have the March Madness right in my pocket, how sweet is that! :smile:
  10. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Hey if it makes you feel better . . the OSU - Michigan game I watched on my phone was actually in Dallas so the network strength was pretty good around the city!
  11. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

Sweet, I better hurry and hook myself up. Thanks.

I tried to boost your rep, but it said I need to spread the love.
  12. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Thanks and enjoy
  13. CMantis

CMantis New Member

What streaming formats can the Q play? My tv tuner card is not compatible with Orb. I was trying to use VLC to stream instead but may have to get a slingbox. Any advice on getting this working first?