Slingbox on Q Video

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by marty, Jun 13, 2006.

1. marty

marty New Member

Slingbox on Q Video

There's a cool video of it over at

They also show off streaming Xm Radio to your Q. The slingbox is simply amazing, I need to get that ASAP...
  2. cdrw

cdrw New Member

Thats really cool one and I like it very much. I need to find some good vendor for the same, a cheaper one ofcourse. lol
    Have you bought it and if yes, can you send me some info. about it and share your experience with it ?
    Thanks
  3. greg3000gt

greg3000gt New Member

I bought the Sling Box because of the mobile sling version and the Q it works awesome I installed the app on my laptop and it works even better better throughput I travel a couple of weeks a month so a lot of time at airports, hotels etc, just a coolness factor. :)
  4. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

I am holding off on the Slingbox for now, I have heard conflicting stories about VZW cancelling service due to streaming of music/video. Has anyone heard about this also?
  5. digvid

digvid New Member

I now have my slinbox up and running, I have one question. Is it possible with an upgrade software to be able too watch with two diff. devices.
    Now it says you must log off to watch with the other....

Thanks
  6. New2Q

New2Q New Member

Hi ... have the Slingbox working great on my laptop, but keep getting an invalid device error when I try to sync the Mobile version of the app to my Q. Did you experience any of that?
  7. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

Ive also heard similar rumors, I think im going to wait a while too.

-Tom
  8. hiphopreneur

hiphopreneur New Member

i'll get mine before football season starts!! :thumbup:
  9. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

***Reviving dead thread alert***

Received my SlingBox yesterday and just found time to install. Being a Mac user (Macs not supported yet), I knew it might take some work having to use Virtual PC. After 1-2 hours, I've got it all set up. There were some initial video issues caused by my output set at 1080p on my DirecTV HR10-250, when it needed to be at 480i. The installer updates the software and then the firmware -- Surprisingly, it didn't look so bad on Virtual PC.

Getting it to work on the Q required me to set up Port Forwarding. There was actually a good tutorial at SlingMedia and had no problems. I sent the SlingMobile player to the Q using Bluetooth from my Powerbook. For some reason, the Q balked at installing the software sent as an attachment. Once installed, I had to enable remote usage from the Sling set-up. With port forwarding in place, set up of remote took a minute or so. On the Q side, I had to enter what seemed like the longest code ever (finder code). After all this, I was in business. I think there was a thrill of "hey, it works", but that wore off as I started to see some buffering issues. I tested in my house and will see how it performs in other areas. There is definitely a wow factor, but I'm still considering a return. I'm going to give it a week or so (have to check Buy.com's return policy) and then go from there.

-Chris
  10. valetudo025

valetudo025 New Member

chris, have you heard anything from buy.com about retuning it? i still have mine in the box unopened and think iam gonna return it also. iam think iam just gonna use the orb software, i dont see my self watching to much tv on my Q or any other computer.
  11. Kupe

Kupe New Member

I use my Slingbox driving to/from work most days (since June) listening to CNN/FOX/MSNBC (and maybe "watching" it a little at the stop lights). I really enjoy the usefulness of the sling/Q combination.
  12. qwho

qwho New Member

It works well on mine too. It is nice to have something to do while waiting somewhere... like waiting at the olive garden for an hour, i watched the latest from cnet news off my tivo...:)

However, i am scared about the possibility of getting my service cancelled. Has anyone had thier service cancelled without actually doing anything against the rules?
  13. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

After much debate, I decided to pack up and return my SlingBox. It worked ok, but the lack of Mac support was the kicker for me. I could see myself using this a lot when visiting my parents or vacationing if I could use with my Powerbook. It just didn't make sense to pay close to $200 and not have laptop support. Buy.com has a limited time return policy, so I figured I'd better return before I lose that option. I might consider the SlingBox again should they deliver Mac support and possibly a free mobile client.

-Chris