SlingBox At $139

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by chris, Sep 21, 2006.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

SlingBox At $139

I've been on the fence about getting the SlingBox and this is very enticing. Just wanted to pass along that Buy.com is offering the SlingBox at $139. The Moto Q software runs another $30.

My biggest concern would be causing a stir at VZW with the data usage.

-Chris
  2. valetudo025

valetudo025 New Member

saweet, i just ordered mine...and free shipping! good find, thanks!
  3. EBone

EBone New Member

Got mine last week for $10 more at Amazon, but registered in time for the FREE mobile software promotion that ended September 15th.

Neat device. Installs quickly, and it works great with my TiVo. When I really want to amaze people with my Q, I just fire up the mobile application and start watching something from the Now Playing list.
  4. rendition

rendition New Member

Actually $109 if you get the credit card

I noticed that I can get their credit card and knock another $30 off the price! And who doesn't need another credit card, lmao. Do you really think Verizon will flip out about the data? even on the unlimited plan?
  5. EBone

EBone New Member

Here's what I heard from a representative at the Verizon store where I purchased my Q. Even though the data plan most of us have is "unlimited," Verizon is concerned about streaming to the devices tying up bandwidth. The representative told me that so long as you don't go over 5-7 gigabytes of data per month, everything should be fine (doesn't really sound unlimited, does it?).

I have used my SlingBox to watch about 2 hours of TV on my Q, and streamed about two hours of XM radio in the past billing period. This is in addition to lots of browsing and surfing. My Verizon account data online shows I have used 186 megabytes of data.

If you figure about 150 megs of the 186 were due to the SlingBox use (which is likely on the high side, but I'm trying to be conservative), then 1 hour of TV is approximately 75 MB of data. If that is the case, using the conservative side of the 5 gigabytes quoted to me by the Verizon representative (and lord knows if he even knows the truth or not), then you could watch 60 hours of TV a month on the Q and not go over 5 GB of data.
  6. rendition

rendition New Member

60 hours of TV sounds more than reasonable

I can live with 60 hours of slingbox TV before the folks at Verizon blow a gasket...asuming that this is accurate. I find it hard to remain in a strong signal EVDO zone here in Chicago anyway.

It would however come in really handy for catching the Bear's game while I am watching my 6 year old cheerleading at flag football games (not quite as exciting as the NFL). Think of the Q envy I will get Wink
  7. chris

EBone... thanks for the write up on bandwidth and accepable uses. Despite not being Mac compatible, I ordered the SlingBox. As long as I can get it working on my Q, it will be a worthwhile investment. Forget about having my TiVo everywhere, I can't wait to show my friends (who are TiVo nuts). I figure if need be, I'll use VirtualPC to get it running. I looked around the Sling forums and it looks like the Mac version is coming soon - many predict October. So, I guess I'll be able to take SundayTicket on the road with me.

I ended up ordering from Buy.com - $139 shipped.

-Chris
  8. valetudo025

valetudo025 New Member

i just got mine in the mail, but now i noticed that they just released some new sling boxes...hmm
  9. chris

Yeah, but's the difference. Looks like they have the Tuner/AV/Pro. I did notice on Buy.com's site that, "SlingPlayer for Mac OS X for G3, G4 and Intel based Macs will be available as a free download from Sling Medias web site in the near future. SlingPlayer for Mac OS X will be fully compatible with all Slingbox hardware - TUNER, AV and PRO and the Slingbox Original.
  10. chris

I guess we have the Slingplayer original. The new entry level Tuner model doesn't say anything about DVR (TiVO) support. Looks like I bought it in time, Buy.com no longer sells the SB100-100 Slingbox.
  11. valetudo025

valetudo025 New Member

cool, yea i hope thge image quality is about the same in the older model.
  12. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member

I've been playing witih Orb for a couple of weeks now and really like it. I don't see any reason to invest in a hardware solution when I already have a Media Center PC sitting right here and Orb is free.
  13. valetudo025

valetudo025 New Member

i just checked out ORB and it seems to do everything the slingbox does...but for free...thanks for the tip, i dont know if i will be keeping the slingbox now. its still in its box unopened.
  14. tj!2k6

tj!2k6 New Member

Orb is awesome, however, the only thing I'm not too thrilled about is the inability to fast-forward/rewind.

But hey it's free, so don't take that as a complaint. ;)