SlingBox anyone?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by cnts13, Dec 9, 2007.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

from a pc..
  2. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

Thanks! Looks like I have to wait for Coreplayer 1.2 which has support for RTSP, but that's like a month wait :(
  3. dan j

dan j New Member

Ok, I'm having trouble with it :( I've gone to Sling's website via the Q9h and clicked on the WM 6 link and downloaded spm_ppc_15046_us.cab The picture on the Q9h is weird to say the least. It's two screens really. The main screen is frozen most of the time and I can also see a little bit of live motion on the very bottom of the screen. It's under the black box and only the "Menu" key is there, the "Stop key is missing. Like I said, it's weird. When I watch in full screen the picture is fine.

What's up? Can someone help me out?

Thanks ,
    dan
  4. baimo

baimo New Member

switch to full screen view or change the settings to make picture smaller
  5. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Did you try the tips in post 15?
  6. dan j

dan j New Member

Hi folks,

I did what I could from post 15. I can't access the box to change my resolution. Full screen does work, but I'd like to not have to go to it.

Thanks,
    dan
  7. dan j

dan j New Member

I was finally able to change the screen size. If anyone else has to do this, you need to hit the "stop" key which may be hidden (it was on my screen). I'm kind of disappointed that you can't change the volume with the side buttons.

I'm getting pretty good results 22 fps @ ~400 Kbps using Slingstream. Any reason to change it back to the settings in post 15?

Thanks,
    dan
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Hello Mike, thanks for leading me in the right direction. I played around with the numbers you specified and this is what worked well for me. Just FYI, if anyone else want to try it on their Q9h.

Video Bitrate: 400
    FPS: full rate
    I Frame Rate: 1
    Resolution: 160x120

The resolution (160x120) sucks when your watching a game because when in fullscreen mode, the scores and other graphics aren't clear. Sometimes unreadable. But you can watch the game just fine.
  9. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

anyone download the sling update? got the message to update but hit remind later as I was busy watching the Avs lose yet another...

the first update I've seen since I got it..
  10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I've just updated my slingbox software on my phone. Everyone, especially with those with Q9h's, need to download this update. It fixes the bug in normal mode. No need to revert to the workaround mentioned in post #15. It does help to play around with the settings (Video Bitrate, FPS and I-frame). But now you can watch it at 320x240 res. Isn't it great when companies actually listen to their customers? In my opinion Slingbox is the best thing that has happened to Smartphones.
  11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Good info...thanks!
  12. bige1919

bige1919 New Member

Definately get this, you can leave the automatic settings on now and it looks great!
  13. Mike R

Mike R New Member

agree

Yes, I agree...this update fixes the issues. My previous post #15 was just a workaround until sling support finally woke up.

Here's another issue I ran into...choppy video even on a strong 3G connection. Originally I thought it was ATT wireless causing the issue, then I recently upgraded my FIOS service to 20 over 20 (20mb upload and 20mb download) from 2 over 5 (2mb upload)....what a difference!!! It streams very clear now, with an occaisional freeze up. So if you are experiencing choppy video, you may want to consider upgrading your service. I can only speak about AT&T wireless and Verizon Fios. Not sure if the other providers have better service. Just thought I'd share.
  14. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

Seriously...

I live out of state from my favorite football team, and was considering getting a Slingbox, putting it on my friends TV (who doesn't care because he'll be watching the same games), but can I realistically expect great quality out of this thing? Also, does anyone think an Ebay Slingbox would be ok? Thanks!
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

You won't get HD quality but it looks great, especially if you have high speed internet. Video reviews and pictures don't do it justice. I bought my box off of ebay and got the AV version. It was the very first one that came out I think. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer ones but it serves me well. Just try it out. I really think you'll like it. A word of caution about purchasing a used one, you need to reset the settings and change the password. You may need to contact tech support to help you with this. Their tech support is awesome by the way. They can be reached by email, phone or chat. Chat is the easiet way.
  16. dan j

dan j New Member

17. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

not everyone has crapcast....or analoge cable for that matter! :)
  18. dan j

dan j New Member

According to the thread I linked, Time Warner might be worse. TWC may limit the internet to 5gb/month - if the article is correct.

Also, I don't think we have analog cable here. I think our Slingbox acts as a cable box. BUT, I dunno nuting :2cool:

dan
  19. lickwid

lickwid New Member

I'm on the West Coast, and have a Slingbox Pro. I have it connected to my DVD player, Tivo, and my analog cable. Since the analog cable portion does not monopolize my Tivo, my main source of home TV watching, someone can watch TV from their notebook while I watch the main Tivo.

Now that Football season is starting, I had an idea, and was wondering if anyone was interested. I'd be willing to share a secondary account on my Slingbox with someone if they were willing to exchange a secondary account with me. Preferable on the East Coast or different market, so I could pick up other regional games. Drop me a PM.

Thanks guys. Go Raiders!
  20. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

didn't ya mean No Raiders? :)

btw...good idea on the feed sharing!