SlingBox anyone?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by cnts13, Dec 9, 2007.

1. cnts13

cnts13 New Member

SlingBox anyone?

Anyone using a Slingbox on their Q9? I am and I'm having difficulties. Two difficulties actually...

First, SlingMedia had admitted to resolution issues with the SlingPlayer Mobile application and a fix is support to be in the pipeline.

Second, and this is of greater concern is that even though I have a measured 430KBPS upload speeds with my home DSL provider, I'm only seeing sub-100KBPS and maybe 5 FPS performance on my Q9. This is in solid 3G coverage areas where a site called "Mobile Internet Meter" is measuring my Q9's download speed at 3800+ KBPS. This makes using the SlingBox all but unusable.

Anyone else see these issues? If so, any insight on what was done to remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance.
  2. baimo

baimo New Member

I am using slingbox. no throughput problems. Have not checked the speed, but it works steady without issues.

As far as the resolution, you need to run it full screen. it does not format correctly unless you run it full screen
  3. Technician

Technician New Member

Do not know what that is? Slingbox?
  4. baimo

baimo New Member

5. Technician

Technician New Member

Still do not get it or heard of anybody owning one.

Cable

HD Box

TV

You add a slingbox get what?

Cable

Slingbox - Internet

HD Box

TV

How can it possible work ?
    1) Internet connection it will not work through my home router?
    because from the home side of my router I can go out but nothing external can enter. For example if I set my computer up as a server and keep it on I can not access my computer from the internet it is on the home side of my router protected by its firewall.

2) The box has a built in tuner or something?

3) Even if 1) and 2) made sense pretty sure the Q9h does not accept HD
  6. baimo

baimo New Member

You add a slingbox and you can watch, your tv stations that you receive via sattelite, cable or ota on a computer or your mobile device.
    You can also watch anything recorded on your dvr or any dvd's in your dvd player.

The hd slingbox allows you to hook up your hd settopbox to the slingplayer(it is different than the regular sligbox because it can accept component or hdmi inputs)
    Anf yes the q can show the hd programming in 16x9 format as outputted from your receiver.

It is a killer device for computers and really nice to have on the Q. I dont watch much video on my q or n95, but once in awhile I will watch a football game(JETS) on my phone if I am not home or near a tv. Slingplayer works great.

It will create an outgoing port on your home router that will let you connect from the internet to any device connected to the slingplayer at your house.
  7. cnts13

cnts13 New Member

Baimo Said:

I am using slingbox. no throughput problems. Have not checked the speed, but it works steady without issues.

As far as the resolution, you need to run it full screen. it does not format correctly unless you run it full screen.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Baimo,

Thanks for the quick reply. I knew about the "fullscreen" workaround and from what I understand, SlingMedia is working on a fix to have it operate correctly in "normal" mode. Not sure of the ETA yet though...

What I'm more concerned with however is the throughput and since your Q9 is working fine, it give me hope that it isn't something that can be overcome for me too.

Here is some additional detail on what I'm seeing on my side. The SlingPlayer mobile player is only providing video at maybe 90-100 Kbps and 5 FPS in strong 3G coverage areas where a site called "Mobile Internet Meter" is measuring 3800+ download speeds on my Q9. With about 450-430 Kbps upload speeds from my home network and more than sufficient download speeds on my mobile device, I'm at a loss to understand why I'm seeing such poor performance when attempting to sling on the Q9. As a reference point I can use the standard Sling player on my laptop on a remote 802.11 WiFi network and enjoy 430 Kbps throughput which makes sense given the upload speed limitation of my homes DSL connection.

have Cingular's unlimited MediaNET data package and the phone appears to be set up to use "wap.cingular" as the data network access point. That access point also uses the "wireless.cingular.com:80" proxy. I know that there is a non proxy access point on cingular's network but the reported data speeds of both access points appear to be similar (ie: more than fast enough for what I'm trying to do here)

So... If you could do me a favor. Can you let me know what throughput speeds you are seeing as reported by the Sling player on your Q9? To get that information go to the "Menu / Player Options / Advanced" screen and make sure that the "Show Statistics" box is checked. After you connect to your SlingBox, leave the player in its non-full screen "normal" mode and the link performance info will apper in th euppere right corner of the screen (even though the video source display will not be centered). Also, if yo could check the settings of your phone and let me know which access point your data plan is using? The approximate upload speed of your home network's connection to the internet...

Anything that could give me a clue to diagnose my issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  8. baimo

baimo New Member

First thing I do is change my settings(through bandselect) to 3g only.

I am seeing 5-6 fps 108 - 125 kbps on the` slingplayer options

I am using the same settings as you on my phone - not even touching what my cable is capable of 25,000 down 5000 up

Slinplayer is running nice and smooth even getting these numbers
  9. cnts13

cnts13 New Member

Baimo,

Thanks for the info. Looks like yours is performing in a similar fashion to mine. Guess I was hoping for better performance given the inbound data rates available with the Q9.

Anyone else using a SlingBox that can share their experiences?
  10. baimo

baimo New Member

I dunno. as long as the picture and sound come in clearly, I dont care what the numbers are.

I have checked with dslreports on my Q and know it is capable of faster downloads. perhaps that is all the sling requires.
  11. WPG

WPG New Member

I dont know what my connection speed could be, when i launch sling box, it loads up fine, locates fine, starts fine, then just as the stream from my sat comes in, it scrambles around the screen. I have about a 1/8 inch of looks like the top of the picture at the bottom and a 1/8 line on the right. Then if i hit full screen, it locks up, freezes and i have to kill it by taking the battery out. So the full screen FIX doesnt do me any good unless im doing something wrong. I have only had the phone a few days, but had a BJ b4 and treo 650 etc. so im used to work arounds etc. But nothing i have tried has worked for sling. I used it everyday on my way from work. I miss it.
  12. johnfcassidy

johnfcassidy New Member

Slingbox

I have Sling working fine on my Q 9h. Made sure to install the smartphone edition v1.5 with no problems. Even works on slow connections - edge - but you have to give it about 3-5 minutes to stabilize. Full screen solves the display problems and the other issue is to get the channel changed and the volume set first before going to full screen mode, using the remote mode. I'm using Sling on a Scientific Atlanta Comcast DVR HD Cable box. It did work better on my Treo 750 but I like the 9h better since it has GPS and the lack of touch screen is an improvement over Windows Mobile Pocket PC edition's requirement for two handed computing...
  13. s4mb4

s4mb4 New Member

i have a sling.
    my only issue is the full screen mode being required.
    one thing to consider is that full screen requires more bandwidth than the small window.
  14. WPG

WPG New Member

I dropped the resolution down to 160x120 and it works fine for nowIts not the size screen i like, but its not frozen., going to try other resolutions see if any of the others work, if not i will suffer till i get a fix for the native screen size. I have used sling everyday since it came out. worked fine on the BJ even in full screen, so i dont think its a speed issue. Since i tether with the phone with laptop and sling works.
  15. Mike R

Mike R New Member

Here's the thing...slingbox doesn't work correctly on Q9 with mobile 6. The worst part is...slingbox helpdesk won't admit to it. I sent dozens of emails to them, and they think the problem is with my home network. I have Verizon Fios (super fast) and a linksys router (nothing special)...not to mention that I am a Cisco engineer...I think I know how to set up my home network.

After reading a few forums, here's my workaround until the sling people wake up and start testing their software on the Q9. First, the problem with only working in full screen mode: the Q will only work at 160X120 in non-full screen mode (already mentioned here)...next thing I did was change settings in the Encoding Parameters:

uncheck Enable Slingstream
    set Video Bitrate to 600 (the higher the better)
    set FPS to full rate
    set I-Frame to 8 (lower is better)
    Resolution to 160X120
    auto resolution mode unchecked

you can play with some of these numbers, but it seems to work a whole lot better for me now...before, I was getting the "chopped off" screen, and very choppy video...it now seems to work . The resolution could be a little better, but with the 600FPS, it improves it at 160x120. I use this for watching sports while I'm out on the road, or waiting at a customer location. One more thing, the connection speed will have an affect on performance...you need to wait until it fully optimizes...if you use the settings above, you should see some improvements...even when you switch to full screen...160x120 isn't too bad. Good luck...hope there's an update soon.

Mike
  16. robertruelan

robertruelan New Member

Wow. Thanks for this tip. Before I did the above, I was getting FPS 4-8 and 124-146 Kbps. Now, I'm seeing 14-29 FPS and 298-600 Kbps. This is the best I've seen the video and especially sports.

But, to be honest, the best way to watch the Sling is connect my laptop via my Q9h (if I'm not connected via wi-fi). I know this is not what the posters were asking, but thought I'd mention it.
  17. Mike R

Mike R New Member

Glad you see some improvement. Had my Q at the NY Ranger game on Thursday...worked great, got to see some replays that they don't show at the Garden. I agree with you about watching sling on the laptop or PC. I was in Japan over the summer, and all I can say is thank god for the sling box. Luckily, I was always within a hotspot, and didn't need to rely on 3G. Overall, I'm happy with the Q9 (or Global with AT&T), and I love my slingbox...hopefully, sling will work on some updates soon.
  18. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

quick question, can slingbox/slingplayer streams live 3gp media (e.g. rtsp://server/media.sdp ) off from a server, or must it stream from its own slingbox?
  19. Mike R

Mike R New Member

No, But you may want to try www.orb.com looks pretty cool, and allows you to stream music, video, photos, etc from your PC...it even lets you stream TV if you have a video capture card. I haven't fully tested it out yet, but I have set up an account, and I am able to access it from my Q
  20. zenkinz

zenkinz New Member

can ORB stream off from a internet server, or must it always come from the PC?