Skyfire Beta .8

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by steindog99, Sep 25, 2008.

1. steindog99

steindog99 New Member

Skyfire Beta .8

I know someone (I think Paco) posted about it the other day, but I can't find the thread. Anyways, I have been using it for a day now and it seems to run faster.

The new zoom feature is nice, but it takes a little getting used to. It automatically adjusts to the page to the size that it thinks you want it zoomed in at. It then lets you zoom in further with a click.

It does load a little faster than before also, but it still isn't fast to load by any means.

I haven't tried to enable it as the default browser yet for the reason above. PIE usually loads much quicker and if I get a link in a SMS I want to get to it quickly.

The "search bar in homescreen" DOES NOT WORK with the sliding panels!

And the share page feature is pretty nice also.

Feel free to tear my opinion apart as more people use the new version!!!
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I'm not going to tear your opinion apart. I'm not too big on the "intelligent" zoom either
  3. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

the inline text feature works pretty good...now I can talk trash to my victims on mobsters :)
  4. steindog99

steindog99 New Member

I forgot to add that part...it is definately one of the nicer additions to the new version...
  5. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

the image download works pretty good too. Took a few tries but it got it(poor signal didn't help)
  6. Boycan

Boycan New Member

Definatly improved but I can't stand having to zoom EVERY page seems once you zoomed it would stay that way for a page or two anyway :-/
  7. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

it's not quite true inline text. but it is better. they are going to continue working on improvements, but they have a long list to go through.
  8. yameen1

yameen1 New Member

any way to get he home screen search option working with sliding panels?
  9. thesailor

thesailor New Member

It seems to be a little faster and there's less of the dreaded checkers crap, but the whole zooming into the thumbnail everytime thing is really annoying AND the new version likes to freeze. A lot. This product is far from where it needs to be. I still use clunky, disabled PIE for almost all my browsing.
  10. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

I don't know...I kinda like the new zoom. Makes reading news pretty easy as it finds the paragraph margins and zooms down perfectly.
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I'm with you on this. The new zoom seems to work most of the time. I like it...
  12. pistacio

pistacio New Member

Does anyone else have a problem with no audio when playing a video on a website thru Skyfire???.... yes, I did check all volumes on the Q and mute in Skyfire.
  13. mworsham

mworsham New Member

Mine does not play audio if I have the USB cable connected to my PC. Other than that, no audio problems at all.

Mark W
  14. pistacio

pistacio New Member

I didn't have this problem with the previous version....only the new Skyfire beta .80

silver Q/ MOL2/ WM5
  15. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

it's something up with the server, because the volume is working fine for me, and worked fine all through the alpha testing
  16. robotphood

robotphood New Member

~0.6 worked fine and 0.8 is a bit better on my q9c. I still don't use skyfire to browse text/image based sites because the zooming is a bit annoying to me. I mainly stick with opera mini as my default browser (handle links via startoperamini script) and PIE for secure sites. The only time I'm using skyfire is when I get a youtube or similar link via im/sms which I paste into skyfire. If only Kinoma Play supported more media sites I'd bite the bullet and buy the full one and eliminate skyfire altogether. My friends with touchscreens rave about skyfire though.
  17. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

It's really coming along for still being Beta. At this point it is the most capable browser out there. Still missing missing some basics like pgup/pgdn and a back button that actually goes back to where you were instead of to the top of the last page. Some complex web features like pull down menus don't work. Maybe they need to implement rollovers.

I should post those there...
  18. jdoe

jdoe New Member

I read on the skyfire forums that the sound won't work on youtube if your device is plugged in a computer.I also had audio problems and I did a soft reset and got sound working on skyfire.
  19. Charles@Kinoma

Charles@Kinoma New Member

Since Kinoma Play (and Kinoma FreePlay) are actually playing media on your phone, participating content providers need to have mobile-friendly streams. If there's a couple you really wish were in Kinoma Play, send me a note at charles@ our domain and I'll be glad to investigate.

Kinoma FreePlay supports most YouTube functionality, and it's free. IMHO, there's no reason for every Windows Mobile user with a data plan not to have Kinoma FreePlay on their phone.

Skyfire is just playing the media on some PC somewhere and piping the results to you, so it can play anything (although not necessarily well) that their racks of PCs can play.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  20. DallasStars

DallasStars New Member

Is Kinoma able to play integrated video sites like hulu.com and live audio/video streams?