site move..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rudeboy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

site move..

as if i don't have enough to do i will be moving all the Q stuff i have on-line slowly but surely from my main url http://www.roeiboot.com to

http://mq.roeiboot.com

(just "Q" wasn't allowed..)

so if you see something not work what i linked.. this is what is going on and you can always pm, email or yell at me here on EQ :}
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

is that considered a sub domain?
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yes it is... i have many of those which keeps it better organized and manageable. imo.
  4. n99hockey

thats something i have not been able to figure out how to do (not much of a website designer)
    im allowed i think like 5 of those but never figured out how to use it
  5. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i used 10 of 300 :} in the Control Panel of my web site i go to Edit Domain and there is an option to create sub-domains, then it automagiclly creates a directory on my ftp (actually every sub-domain have it's own ftp access but i just go through the top domain's ftp in which i see all my sub-domains as directories) and i am good to go. it also makes for shorter to the point url's..
  6. n99hockey

hmmm i have created one but never got it to link or work right...
    ill have to reinvestigate this!
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

should be fairly straight forward...

say your domain is www.domain.com..
    create a sub-domain called "sub"..
    the url to that is http://sub.domain.com (so no more www, http is not mandatory either..)
  8. n99hockey

right...but you have to create an index.html for that page no?
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

you don't have to... in my case my host creates a default index.html in that directory.. if you delete that you get a list index you know, like my apps page looks like with sub directories if created. so index is optional.
  10. n99hockey

ok i definately have some research to do then
    i have created a sub-directory and it says cant be found

photos.scottschrob.com
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

and you have actually created those in your hosts control panel ?
  12. n99hockey

yup!
    i might have to give them a call

ps. sorry for hijacking your thread :frown:
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea i would, because it should just work...

and no biggie, we are still talking about web sites right :}
  14. n99hockey

very true

ill let ya know how it goes
  15. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

Scott, you may want to check with your web host. I know mine will not allow web browsers to pull an index of the site. So if there is no index.html for the domain people will just get a 404 error index not found.
  16. n99hockey

thanks
    yes i will definately be giving them a call...
    i mean i should be able to use what i have been paying for no?
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

well that would blow... do they have a good reason ? and that would not be the reason his sub-domains don't work, assuming he tried it with a index.html in it ? Scott ?
  18. n99hockey

i have not
    i havent even figured out how to get it up on the FTP that i use (dreamweaver)

but it was supposed to redirect people to the main site if i didnt set anything up
  19. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

They say it is for security reasons. I kind of understand, because to allow a web browser to pull a site index allows any one to see the directory structure of the site. Most people leave this turned on by default not knowing that it is also allowing directory listing of every site on the server and since most web servers allow FTP they could just ftp directly to that directory.

With the fact that all ftp traffic is sent in clear text one could then start sniffing passwords to specific sites if they know the address's to look for.

Once you know what user names and passwords do what it is a short jump to complete directory listing of the entire server.

It would require a bit of knowledge of DNS poisoning but completely possible.
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

Filezilla plz :}

yep, you have a point... my host allows it and my guess is because they did what they needed to make it secure regardless.