Simply the BEST GPS software and it's FREE! (upload your position online!)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by armyturtle, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Noodlez

Noodlez New Member

Oh wow, that sounds like a great idea, I have a float trip coming up that I would love to do something like that one. By chance do you know of maybe a free alternative to RoboGeo?
  2. Noodlez

Noodlez New Member

3. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Wow - are you sure that GPS doesn't work on your Verizon Motorola Q9c without subscribing to VZ navigator?

I think there are a few (can't remember their names - google "geotag software" for them) that I tried but none of them were anywhere near as good as RoboGeo. Honestly for $40 and lifetime free upgrades there was no comparison to this software. Being able to create my own personalized google maps with this software is a HUGE added bonus. Considering I was thinking about buying an actual GPS attachment cable for my Nikon D300 and on top of that need to use a GPS device with a NMEA serial output port, this was much easier, cheaper, and a hell of a lot less bulky.

Cough up the $40 for RoboGeo, you won't regret it in the least.

Looks like a pretty impressive program, except it uses Windows Live (which I hate). I really like the live video feed feature. I might try this in the future if I ever get some more free time (baby coming in August)!
  4. sdsurf

sdsurf New Member

Out of the box, yes I'm sure. Haven't found any hacks to change this so far. But if anybody finds a way, I will drop VZ Navigator like a bad habit. I'll feel really stupid if I'm proven wrong, but then again I'd be much happier to have functioning non-VZNav GPS capability.
  5. azdps

azdps New Member

GPS Hack

You might have a hard time hacking vzw's vz navigator as it is aGPS vs traditional GPS which works off of the Satalites while aGPS works off of Verizon's towers allowing it to load data quicker and getting better reception in building, but you just don't want to stray too far from a tower because if you loose your signal, you loose your navagation capabilities...
  6. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Q9c has built in GPS - no matter what carrier you have it with. It seems though that Verizon has somehow locked their customers out of being able to use it at will with a program of their choosing.
  7. FlameThis

FlameThis New Member

get one from ebay. small risk but not nearly as big a risk as a two year commitment to get a "new" phone is.

you can pay full price for it and not get a commitment, but why pay full price?
  8. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Not sure about Sprint, but last time I went into a Verizon store I asked about exactly this. "If I have my own phone already, can I activate it on a new account here?" Guy says yes. "Since it's my phone that I already own there'd be no contract correct?" Guy says no.

I tried to plead my case explaining that traditionally the contract period was a way for the carrier to ensure they could subsidize the cost of the phone I get from them. Since I had my own phone it should make this a non-issue. I was still told there'd be a contract period, even if I had my own phone.
  9. david5000

david5000 New Member

First of all thanks Armyturtle for sharing this software. I have not yet installed it but it sounds perfect!

So anyways I just got my new Q9C yesterday and love it and I am trying to find software and others additions for it, so of course I came here. :) So one of the things I am wondering about is what software you guys use for Mapping??? Google maps is wonderful and everything but once the phone has no signal when you go to the middle of nowhere, its not going to work anymore....

I know that there is TomTom for mapping as well as MS Streets and Trips, but are there any other ones some of you would recommend???

Also are there any small little gps programs that give you your speed/ altitute, e.t.c. From the looks of it tomtom just gives speed and nothing else and I am not sure about streets and trip.

Thanks in advanced!
    David
  10. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

gpsvp gives all readouts including dawn/dusk num of sats etc
  11. coconut

coconut New Member

Another free GPS mapping software that I've added is "SportyPal" fGPS tracking app which tracks a mixture of sporting activities, I use it for cycling where it maps where you've been average and top speeds etc. - along with TomTom v7.