Simply the BEST GPS software and it's FREE! (upload your position online!)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by armyturtle, Apr 2, 2008.

1. KestrylR

KestrylR New Member

My goodness, it certainly is a small world. My mom is from Freeport! (I looked you up on QRZ)

Lynda (KI7RZ)
  2. KestrylR

KestrylR New Member

Ok, so this is in "did you make sure it's plugged in" category, but... did you make sure that "Show photos" is checked "yes" in your Trackr profile, and that the photos are marked "public" in your Flickr account?
  3. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Yep - I just had the developer email me about 20 minutes ago. He said the same thing but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that the timezone on my Trackr website profile was set to Amsterdam time. I changed it and pictures started showing up on the expected track (though some of them not anywhere near where I took them) one at a time. It looks like it doesn't just SHOW THEM ALL immediately if you've taken them in the past - because initially it only showed I had taken one, but then a couple of more popped up. This was my trip to LA - so one particular picture I took about 100+ miles away showed I took it at my house - lol. I'll take some more today and compare now that I've got the time zone set correctly on my website profile.
  4. clarkemo

clarkemo New Member

My motoQ: Original CDMA Moto Q (not the 9 serie)
    Using 2.0.7045.0 version of the .NET Compact Framework (CF 2.0 SP2)
    I'm from Canada

Hi armyturlte!
    I lost my Moto Q recently. Fortunately, someone found it and gave it back to my wireless carrier, whom emailed me to let me know they had found my Q. Now that I got it back in my possession, I never want to risk loosing it again or not being able to find it back if I happen to loose it or get it stolen.

I've just installed Trackr (along with Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0). But at step of retrieving signal ("waiting for signal"), it does NOT find any signal... what's wrong ?... I did choose the Windows (Intermediate Driver) from Trackr, from Settings->Phone Settings->Netwrok->GPS: I set my GPS in mode Location On
    I am offered here to choose from 911 Only or Location On. I even set my Bluetooth ON
    Please help me in finding a GPS Signal.

From your previous indication:
  5. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

First - this is the Motorola 9Qc forum. The 9Qc has a GPS chipset built in. You have the original Q, which does not. Do you have an external GPS device you're trying to use it with? If not, all the settings changes in the world don't matter because you won't find any satellite info without out one.

If you're concerned with losing the phone and thinking of using Trackr to help you recover it, having an external device for GPS won't help you - unless you pretty much tape the GPS device to the back of your phone so the two never get separated.

Instead upgrade to a Q9c where it's built in and you don't have to worry about charging & carrying around a separate device. With the Q9c you can put Trackr in your startup folder so anytime the phone is powered on it starts uploading it's GPS coordinates.
  6. clarkemo

clarkemo New Member

Whoa, :( I wonder if I will be forced to buy new unit at full price.... I hope my carrier will offer me rebate to update to the 9C
  7. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

With the want of added functionality comes a hole in your pocket! :2cool:
  8. TheAngryPenguin

TheAngryPenguin New Member

Are there any other tips or tricks for reducing the frequency of Trackr crashes?
  9. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Seriously, it doesn't crash all that often if it's one of only a couple of things running. If there were any other tips or caveats they'd be here already.

Just try to minimize what you're running with it at the same time (until there's a fix released).
  10. TheAngryPenguin

That's turning out to be a very difficult thing to do! I just received my Q 9c about a week ago, and thanks to the awesome resources made available here in these forums (you guys rock!), I have been using Trackr for the majority of the move in. Not unlike other "US" users, I would like to have Trackr up and running 24x7. Unfortunately, I have yet to enjoy application uptime in excess of 4 hours, either with essentially nothing else running, or otherwise. I guess I will just deal with it until the newer bits are released.
  11. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 New Member

Quick question...

I have a 9m on VZW, and tried to use trackr, but based on what I'm reading- do I need a GPS with it, or does it use the phone signal as a GPS? What do I need to use the software, in addition to my 9m?

Many thanks!
  12. TheAngryPenguin

With respect to the 9c, trackr! uses the phone's built-in GPS capabilities. If your phone doesn't have these capabilites built-in, you can configure trackr! to use a GPS device that has been paired with your phone.
  13. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Yah - what he said. Get a BT GPS device or get a phone with a real GPS chipset built into it.
  14. W9RAN

W9RAN New Member

Using Trackr with Media Player

I love Trackr! However I also use the Moto Q 9c to play music files when I'm running or cycling, and figured how to make it do both at the same time. The trick is to start Media Player, set it the way you want it, and then start Trackr, and start the GPS. The media player is designed to run in the background, and since I just put it in shuffle mode I don't need to access the media player controls. I never wear headphones or earbuds when I'm running or cycling for safety reasons, but I can hear the Q internal speakers fine even without running it full volume. No risk of deafness :wink: but a nice accompaniment for the outdoor activities.

Bob
  15. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Pretty clean app but Navizon does the same exact thing but doesn't require an external gps even on phones without a proper gps like the Q1. The trackr app seems to have a better web interface though both overlay on google.

Also just to clarify things, the Sprint version of the Q9c has a gps but the Verizon one likely does NOT. Until someone runs a field test on the verizon version no one should assume that getting one will allow gps positioning without an external gps, vznavigator or navizon.
  16. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

A Motorola Q9c is a Motorola Q9c no matter what wireless company is offering it. Sprint & Verizon don't make the hardware. Since the GPS chipset built in is actual hardware, and the phones are physically identical as far as hardware goes, I think it's safe to assume the Verizon "branded" Motorola Q9c will work just the same when it comes to GPS functionality.

Navizon looks kind of dull - It's not the same thing as Trackr. I think you might want to read the www.trackr.eu page to see all the capabilities and compare it to Navizon. The only thing the two share in common are plotting a track (though Navizon does it with a bunch of pins instead of a single drawn line - kind of annoying) and you can share your position with friends.

Trackr let's me snap photos, send them to Flickr, and have them automatically added to a spot on the map where I took them. Trackr lets me share my position with either friends, or EVERYONE. Trackr let's me update my live status on the web as much as every 15 seconds. Trackr lets me send updates to a twitter account. Trackr lets me embed a map on my own website with a live feed of my position. I think there's more but I get lost when I try to tell someone everything this program does. Best if you just actually read the website about it.

Good to know Navizon exists though - I'll keep an eye on it in case they actually do something to improve it some day.

FYI on the crashes... the developer for Trackr is still working on it - he's tweaked the program a bit and trimmed some code. I've been testing an update for the past week & 1/2 on 3 Motorola Q9c's and while there's still some crashing here & there it has gotten better. I'm not at liberty to share the tweaked version he gave me but I can tell you he is very actively working on this. One of the 3 Q9c's it's being tested on is my mother in laws & I just tell her to power cycle her phone once a day in the morning.

More later...
  17. Noodlez

Noodlez New Member

I wish a new beta would come out, it's been a while and the crashing sucks LoL
  18. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

You & me both. I've since just been using it for marking my trips and rebooting my phone once a day. Have had very very few crashes since doing so. Also I use Trackr to upload my position when I'm taking pictures with my Nikon D300 digital camera. Later I download the .GPX file and use a program called RoboGeo to geocode the latitude & longitude data to each picture. All I have to do is make sure my digital camera is syncronized with my phone (Trackr gives you a time stamp in the GPS details every few seconds).

The pictures are pretty accurate (within 20-100 ft.) from where I take them. Yet another found use for Trackr.

Hopefully he's working on a new version already though!
  19. sdsurf

sdsurf New Member

armyturtle, unfortunately it's not safe to assume anything when it comes to Verizon. Unfortunately, all GPS location functionality (besides 911 services) is locked out to Q9c users unless paying for VZ Navigator. That means no Google Maps, Windows Live, trackr, etc. Even if you have VZ Navigator, that's the only navi software that will be able to use your GPS - thus far.

Somebody please find a hack that will unlock the VZW Q9c's GPS! Really... sincerely.
  20. brada55306

brada55306 New Member

I loaded this software, and it looks very promising... my only complaint about it is that is crashes an awful lot. When it is running, it works like a champ... I would say it crashes about once every 30 mins to an hour on my Sprint Q9C.