Simply the BEST GPS software and it's FREE! (upload your position online!)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by armyturtle, Apr 2, 2008.

1. nethed

nethed New Member

Mine crashes seemingly at random, but one thing is certain, when I'm trying to access the internet w/ that program on, its a failure for sure.

Is there a logging mode that I'm missing? I'd be glad to contribute application logs.
  2. d0c

d0c New Member

Interesting! As a map geek, I wasn't initially 'edge of my seat' excited about this app at first. However, as I ponder the two alternative uses mentioned in this thread (phone loss/stolen tracking & traffic citation courtroom evidence:gasp:) I'm starting to get pretty stoked on the idea!

But first I have some battery life issues that I need to figured out... currently it seems that whenever I have my external Holux M1200 GPS Bluetooth rcvr. running, my batt. life gets hammered. I get about 3.5 hrs max on a fresh charge--not too good if full time tracking is the objective!

So once I get that remedied, you bet I'll be taking the 'potential GPS get outta jail card' known as Trackr for a hot test lap or two!
  3. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Are you using a Moto Q9c? It has a built in GPS chipset.
    When I used my old Q I used this GPS device and it lasted all day and then some on a full charge.
  4. Tristan944

Tristan944 New Member

I used this on a trip recently and really enjoyed it until I started having serious problems, namely a very very very very slow phone. It was so slow it would take over a minute for any button press to respond. And if I locked the phone, I couldnt unlock it. I would have to take the battery out and restart it. I eventually had to Master Reset the phone.
  5. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Either you've already got too much installed directly to the device and you put this on it on top of it all, or you have something wrong with your phone. I've installed this on 13 Motorola Q's (2 of them Q9c's, both on the storage card and/or the device) and have never experienced a slow down as you describe. Try it on your "master reset" phone without anything else on it yet.
  6. KestrylR

KestrylR New Member

I had it running most of the day last Saturday while we were out fishing and driving around. It cut out a couple of times, but because of things like a scheduled backup I forgot to turn off. Trackr itself never froze up on me, but I wasn't doing much else with the phone at the time. I took 4 pix and uploaded them to Flikr. Two of them show up, but could be that 3 of them were same place & within a minute or 2 of each other. It is the last one of the 3 that shows up. The other one was taken an hour later, near where we launched the boat and shows our cute little trailer.

http://trackr.eu/user/kestrylr/e74qasjq/

So far, the only "issue" I've had with it is that it sometimes uploads things in kilometers, when I have it set for miles, and I haven't seen anything to change that once a track is uploaded.
  7. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I haven't tried to upload pics from my phone yet - I tried with my digital camera but they didn't show up on my Tracks. Haven't done anything with it yet.

You might want to check your settings to make sure you're still set up for Miles. I noticed that even though it prompts you for kilometers or miles upon install, it doesn't save the preference; you have to physically go in and change it yourself in the settings. It does stay after that though. This may or may not have anything to do with your issue.

My dad used to live near Moses Lake. Cool to see some pics of where your tracks physically were. I gotta start trying this. :eek:)
  8. d0c

d0c New Member

No, I've got a Q9m, hence the need for an external reciever.
    I'm now about 70% certain at this point that the main power thief is the Q9m's Bluetooth XMTR.
  9. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Verizon eh? Ya - I had an original Q with Sprint and had a hell of a time getting ANY 3rd party GPS software to work with my external GPS device (initially). I found some guy through a Google search that had written a script that entered some values into your registry for you, then you'd have to go back in and manually enter the COM port your BT receiver was on. It was pretty hairy but I got it to work. Then one day I did a master reset and didn't have to do any of that... it just worked by default (this is for both Google Maps Mobile & Trackr). The funny thing is, I got it working on my original Q, but then couldn't get it working on my wife's original Q - even though I took all the same steps as I did on mine.

My final fix was ---> buy a Q9c. I actually had no idea at first that it had a GPS chipset built in. I upgraded mine first, then when I realized it had built in GPS I upgraded hers immediately.

Not that you can just get a new phone on a whim, but I'd sell that external device on Craigslist and look toward a Q9c. (We temporarily swapped/number ported my wife into a Verizon Q9m while we waited for her Sprint Q9c to arrive... didn't like it very much, but didn't have it for that long either.)
  10. MidwestDrummer

MidwestDrummer New Member

I installed the app and played around with it a little. So far, so good. i like it a lot! I'll play around with it a little more tomorrow when I'm out and about.
  11. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I just got an email from the developer (actually got it about 3 hours ago, but just checked my email since I got off the ice [hockey game]) and he thinks there may be some validity to memory issues on the phone with Trackr.

Apparently there's a lot of code written into Trackr devoted to auto-detecting the GPS device and COM port it's on. He's thinking about trying to cut that code out in a "lite version" and just having it set to the Windows Intermediate Driver.

He tells me that many users where he's at tend to use Trackr when they are going somewhere and stopping it when they arrive. On the other hand most US users seem to be using it full time. Running it all day may be allowing Trackr to leak memory - hence why he's going to try and write a "lite version."

It's cool you guys are trying it out - Finding these issues and using it in different ways is going to improve this application very quickly.
  12. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Heading to LA today - I need to check out the Flickr feature where you can upload photos along your way and it supposedly plots them on the map. Saw a couple of other people on here have tried it - seems to work pretty good.

If you care to have a look - http://trackr.eu/user/armyturtle/live
  13. shackk

shackk New Member

Seems like a great program so far, and the price certainly cannot be beat. Thanks!
  14. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Still trying to get the picture upload + post on map/track feature to work. I haven't had any pictures I've taken & uploaded to my Flickr account show up on any of my tracks.
  15. W9RAN

W9RAN New Member

I've just had my 9c less than a week and am well past "very pleased" and on the way to "blown away"! The Trakr application is really a big plus for me as I'm a cyclist and often ride by myself, so now I can not only track my routes but if I happen to run into trouble, knowing where to find me is just a click away. Very cool, this is how technology convergence is supposed to work! How many folks walking around with GPS-enabled cellphones that they can't do anything with?

This forum has been a great resource thus far, just from Google searches. Appreciate all the great ideas shared here.:2cool:

Bob
  16. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Bob I use it for the same things just about - like my wife to find me if for some reason something happened to me out at work late at night. Also for hiking, etc. & marking trails.

Just be prepared to know that Trackr WILL crash on you every now & then until the developer releases a fix. I think we've all found it's got a pretty high crash ratio when running Internet Explorer at the same time.

Now if someone else gets the picture upload/place on map where you took it feature working please let me know... I don't have a whole lot of time to play around with it to figure it out now that I've run into a snag.
  17. Tristan944

Tristan944 New Member

What do you guys use Trackr for mainly? Do you use it basically because its cool and free, or is there an actual purpose for using it? I want to use it more, but dont really see a reason to.

Tristan
  18. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Use #1 - I'm going on a hike and want to see my path/trail taken later. Start at beginning of hike; end either at end before turning around or leave running for the trip back as well.

Use #2 - I'm out working late... VERY late in a VERY VERY remote location. My job is dangerous and I work alone; if *something* were to happen to me it's nice to know at least my wife would have my exact last location.

Use #3 - Oh crap... where'd I leave my phone at? (I pull it out of my pocket about 20 times an hour, so unlikely, but still). I can't find it anywhere! Hmmm... let me log onto Trackr and see where it's at. Wait, why's it moving? Who's the douche bag that's run off with my phone? I'll direct the police to them. :eek:)

Use #4 - Road Trip! Often times to see family. I give them the live link and they can keep an idea in real time of when to expect me.

Use #5 - Vacation - taking photos (with regular digital camera OR camera phone) and I send to my Flickr account from my phone. Since I had Trackr running when I snapped the photo (on my digital cam or phone cam) I have a timestamp on my Tracks. In my Trackr account I have my Flickr account info linked. Trackr will parse the pics in my Flickr photostream and place them on the map where I took them (based on the time on the photo). I have yet to get this working actually on MY account, but one person I've been communicating with via email who pointed this feature out to me has it working and loves it. I just haven't had the time to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

There ya go. Five very good uses for Trackr.
  19. Tristan944

Tristan944 New Member

Amen to that. Im sold! I love to go mountain biking and Im totally going to start using it for that! The thing that sucks is when it looses signal, doesnt it break it up into 2 tracks? But I guess they can be combined to 1 track on the website right?

Tristan
  20. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

That's a negative... if you lose CELLULAR signal it keeps logging your GPS coordinates. To see the tracks show up in your profile later you'll want to get back within cellular signal coverage and choose to "Send Saved Tracks" (you must stop GPS to do this). Choose to "Submit All" and when they're done, they'll be on your profile listed tracks. You can merge multiple tracks & even export them as a .GPX file and import into Google Earth!

Plot all your bike trails on Google Earth for your viewing pleasure. :eek:)