Simply the BEST GPS software and it's FREE! (upload your position online!)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by armyturtle, Apr 2, 2008.

1. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I've been using it just about a year now - (on my old version Q) and so far still free!

I put a shortcut to the trackr.exe in my startup folder. Power on the phone, trackr starts up with it (also had to check "Autostatriten" or something like that in the Settings for Trackr - this starts the GPS tracking as soon as Trackr is launched.

Now if I could just find a way to automatically return the screen back to the home page after trackr has had time to launch and start.
  2. matthewjohn

matthewjohn New Member

I sent a message via Contact me to the programmer asking him that the abv question. Have not heard back yet. Hopefully will be a possibility. It is not much but enough to be annoying to have to press your home key when your phone boots up.
  3. johnwashere

johnwashere New Member

Mine has crshed about 6x today. It will only stay open for a couple hours at most. :(

This is the error message I get:

trackr.exe
    ObjectDisposedException

at
    System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeHelper()
    at
    trackr.client.smartphone.FromDebugInfo.an
    ()
    at ag.aw()
    at aq.c<>
    at System.Threading.Timer.ring()
  4. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Hang tight man - this is kind of a big deal and I don't think it will be long at all before he addresses it. I sent him an email with the exact contents of your message above. Good you caught the error & debug info - mine usually crashes when it's in my pocket and I don't get to see the message.

Once this is all day reliable, it'll be completely awesome (it kind of already is, I just don't like having to babysit it every couple of hours trying to make sure it's still running).
  5. sitlet

sitlet New Member

besides the few minor issues ive had with this program, i really like the idea of it. i do find that the program crashes about 3 times a day though. it seems to happen only when i am listening to music with media player.
  6. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

ill have to try it out 2 morrow sounds like agood program
  7. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Pardon me if I'm not relating to all this, but can you get turn by turn directions using this thing?

I'm very green to mobile GPS systems, but my friend has had something like the Garmin or something in his car for a few years now, and it's awesome. The voice just comes on and tells us where to turn and how far before we have to turn.
    And now my wife's new cell phone is VZ Navigator enabled, and it also gives turn by turn directions using voice from her cell phone..... but WTF they told me that my Q can't utilize the VZNzvigator?? Says I could get better software options than VZNav.

Any ideas? I hop[e I'm making sense..LMAO
  8. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

You are making sense - however that's not the intention of this application. This application is intended primarily for sending your phones' current GPS position up to a website where you can do what you like with it - whether that be you looking at it yourself, sharing your constant position with friends, or having a stalker come after you :eek:) The updates can currently be sent anywhere from every 15 seconds to 10 minutes.

The application will also record your "TRACKS" (or where you've been) so you can review them on the www.trackr.eu website later. What can you do with these "tracks?" Well for starters you can join multiple tracks together, you can export them in different file formats. An example of this is my latest trip to Ireland. I took my CDMA phone with me to Ireland in January. I knew it wouldn't work there for service but took it anyway so I could let trackr record my GPS whereabouts as I went around the country. 2 weeks later when I got home to the US and back within cell service range, I uploaded my trackr tracks to the server. I got on my computer and downloaded the file from the website and imported it into Google Earth.

The result? I could see everywhere I'd been in Ireland each day, based on GPS. There isn't any other application for smartphones right now that I'm aware of that does this - let alone for free!

As I said earlier in this thread, another benefit is if you ever lost or had your phone stolen - you'd know right where it is as long as you had Trackr installed.

Try it out. Worst case scenario is you'll delete it.
  9. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I started by saying I wasn't flaming you so you'd know I wasn't offended... I just wanted to make sure you wrote back to tell me whether or not my suggestion fixed it. You'd be surprised how many people ask a question and then get their solution never to give feedback as to whether it helped them out or not.

Also, I mentioned posting in the forum post about the problem because the chances are others would have the same issue. Having a problem with some software isn't going to dissuade people from trying it out. It's going to get the problem resolved. The only thing PM'ing a question to a problem does is seclude the issue/answer from others.

Glad it worked out for you. BTW - the guy who wrote the software contacted me yesterday and he is working this weekend to try and get to the bottom of the bug that's causing the multiple crashes per day. I have a feeling this application is about to get a whole lot more reliable.
  10. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Yeah, it might be useful to some, but that's not for me.... thanks anyways. :wink:

I'm more looking for what I decribed... turn by turn GPS w/voice
  11. matthewjohn

matthewjohn New Member

just get the VZW nav added to your plan. If it is the same telenav that sprint offers this thing works great and I was also told by sprint when I got the phone and signed up for the plan that the Nav would not work on the 9c, but I had done some homework before hand and was fairly sure it would and it does.
  12. matthewjohn

matthewjohn New Member

Sorry to take away from the topic with abv post. I also use the trackr and have had the same problem of it crashing but have never managed to get the codes.
  13. MBK2

MBK2 New Member

Verizon told me that my Q doesn't include the VZ Navigator option. Don't know why the F not... LOL They have it for the Blackberry 'supposed to be' smartphone!
  14. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I just had the developer email me an updated version this morning (0.9.17) and I'm testing it on two separate Moto Q9c's to see how long I can run them without it crashing. According to him the error message we're seeing is a symptom of a bigger problem (he fears) and he's still investigating what that is. In the mean time he's re-written the code so we won't get that error message; unfortunately right now that does not mean it will solve the crashing issue. He is working it though.
  15. matthewjohn

matthewjohn New Member

if you need another tester let me know. I like this program.
  16. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

PM me your email addy - it's 746k and I can't attach it here. I'll email it to you.
  17. MidwestDrummer

MidwestDrummer New Member

Lemme know if you want another tester. Q9c here.
  18. johnwashere

johnwashere New Member

hmm I emailed the developer the code too and he emailed me a couple days ago saying he would try to fix it and email me the update. I still have not received the update... Could you email it to me too army?
  19. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

I'm running at 21 hours without a crash. My wife is at 1 day, 2 hrs.

Both of us have Trackr installed directly to the device. My last crash happened when I had it installed on the storage card. This may or may not be related to the crashing issues. The developer is working on finding the problem though - however the more info we can send his way as to what we are experiencing (detailed) the better.

If you experience a crash, get the error message (if you get one), note what other programs were running when it crashed (even auto email checking), and whether you have it installed on the device directly or to the storage card. Try to be as specific as possible - it'll help this issue get resolved faster.
  20. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

It crashed on me yesterday just over 23 hours. Same error as before. I let the developer know.