Simply the BEST GPS software and it's FREE! (upload your position online!)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by armyturtle, Apr 2, 2008.

1. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Simply the BEST GPS software and it's FREE! (upload your position online!)

This is going to come across as a sales pitch, but I am in no way affiliated with the maker of the software I'm going to tell you about.

I'm a long time Moto Q user (original) and had a few problems with getting any software to see my BT GPS module (separate item) initially. Eventually I got everything settled and it worked great.

Recently I spilled fluid on my Moto Q and it died. I tore it apart and dried it out with a hair dryer. Initially it did no good and was still very screwy (menus flipping around, buttons causing the wrong actions). So I ordered the new 9c Moto Q to replace it.

I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed! I had no idea it had built in GPS!!! This thing is amazing!

Let me show you why: http://trackr.eu/user/armyturtle/live

I've been using this application (FREE, YES, FREE) for over a year now to share/upload my GPS position to the web. I'm able to let my wife, friends, whoever see where I'm at. For me this is very handy because my job is extremely remote & dangerous at times - if something ever happened while I'm out working at night I'd like to know someone knew where I was last.

Feel free to add me as a "FRIEND" if you register & use it. The application has a pretty cool feature where you can look up the whereabouts of your buddies from your phone (just send me a message letting me know who you are :eek:) armyturtle-AT-gmail-DOT-com)

One last thing; because of the Windows Intermediate Driver, you can use this application simultaneously with other GPS apps such as Google Maps.

I love this Q!!! (Oh yeah, and my original Motorola Q did start working properly again, but no way in hell I'm going back!)
  2. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Actually I shouldn't say the "BEST" GPS software, because for mapping it's kind of worthless compared to Google Maps Mobile. However being able to have your real time position plotted on a map online & sharing it is pretty damn cool.

I have mine set to update my position every 15 seconds. (You have to enable "LIVE DATA" mode, set "GPS" settings in the program to "Windows Intermediate Driver" and put your login information in under "Account" - you need to sign up at their website first though!) Oh ya, and change the "Language/Units" to "Miles" ;)
  3. nethed

nethed New Member

And it has this nasty habit of crashing. A lot.
  4. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Which Q are you using it with? I've been using it with the original Q for almost a year with my only problem being that it would occasionally stop seeing my BT GPS device - which required me to restart the phone (I think it was actually a problem between WIN mobile 5 and the phone's Bluetooth capabilities because this would happen in Google Maps to me as well sometimes - though I didn't use Google Maps Mobile as much as I did Trackr).

As for the new Motorola Q 9c I've had Trackr going on it for nearly 14 hours without even a hiccup. On my old Q I surely would have lost the connection to my GPS device by now.

One thing I did find that WILL most certainly crash it... Going to MAP mode and telling it to display "EVERYBODY" (to show all your friends on the map at once.) However selecting an individual to view is no issue. Instead of scrolling through the names and accidentally choosing "EVERYBODY" I manually click on "Center" selection and choose one.

Other than that little bug, nothing... and I can run it simultaneously with any other mapping software.
  5. sitlet

sitlet New Member

does this use a lot of the battery? or does it just record your position every 15 seconds and upload the date a few times a day?

when i had my email set to check every minute, my battery would be dead by the end of the day. but with it set to every hour, it lasts much longer.
  6. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

You can specify how often you want it to report your location. Choices are intervals of seconds: 15, 30, 45, 60, 120, 180, 240, 300, 360, 420 (haha), 480, 540, & 600. (600 = 10 minutes)

I have mine set to 15 second intervals and the battery on the Moto Q 9c seems to be holding pretty darn well - all day. Worst I can say is, try it out, set to the highest level (for a worst case scenario test) and see how long it lasts you... just carry an extra battery or charger that one time you test it out.
  7. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Anyone else try it today?
  8. sitlet

sitlet New Member

i put it on my phone this afternoon. i really like the idea of it. i really like the live mode, i had it set to update every 60 seconds. the only thing i dont like about the live mode is that every time you exit live mode, it clears out the previous live mode maps. i reset my q about once a day, and this clears out everywhere i was before. i also dont want it running at night when im just sitting at home for 10 hours. so i wish there was a way to stop live mode, and then restart it without the server clearing out the previous maps.

but there is the regular mode, where it records you position, and will keep recording until you upload the data. works well, because i can stop the gps while im in class for 4 hours ( i dont get a signal in there anyway) and then start it back up when i leave. the only drawback is its not live.

also, when i send the gps data for the not live mode, its automatically locked on the site, meaning nobody can view the data. you have to actually login to the site and change the data session so that everyone can view it. do you know if there is a way that when i send the gps data, it automatically isnt locked?
  9. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Good question(s). I'm not aware of a way to send the data to the server already unlocked. You can always try to write the creator of the software through the website. He might be able to help you. Last year I told him he should allow one to select between KPH & MPH (previously everything was in kilometers). He rewrote the program within a week or so of me asking about it... now we have MPH!

Another time I noticed that the twitter feed (via the trackr website) was outputting in a totally different language (dutch I think). He changed his server to output in English.
  10. KestrylR

KestrylR New Member

I'm trying it out. So far the only problem I've had is that the GPS in the Q9h is so slow to get a fix. I was a good 10 miles down the road (in morning commute traffic) before it kicked in, and I had the darned thing sitting up on the dashboard.

It is kinda nifty, though. I wonder if it would be considered admissible evidence, if you ever needed to prove that you were not either speeding or you did too come to a complete stop! (Not that *I* would ever need such a thing, of course... :laugh2:)
  11. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Do me a favor - add me as a friend. I'd like to try out the feature where you can see your buddies on the map on your phone.

Anyone else who wants to check the feature out, feel free to add me as a friend in your Trackr profile - I've got mine set to auto accept.
  12. KestrylR

KestrylR New Member

I already did...
  13. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Cool - pretty neat to see buddies roaming around on the phone.
  14. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Found out today that Trackr.eu has a feature where you can input your Flickr account info and it will match your tracks from your phone to photos uploaded to your Flickr account - it'll place them on the map where you were when you took them!

Trying it out now to see how good it actually works. Supposedly it doesn't matter if you take them with your phone or a digital camera. From your phone you can upload them to the flickr account directly... if you upload them from your computer, I think it matches the timestamp in the file.

I'll report back.
  15. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

If I'm going to spend a few minutes of my time telling you what is wrong, you need to write back and at least confirm it worked for you.

Within Trackr, be sure you haven't started gps yet. Go to Menu>Settings>GPS Under COM port choose "Windows (Intermediate Driver)" Choose "SAVE" Now choose BACK and start GPS. It WILL SAY "waiting for signal" for a while at first. Make sure you're outside the first time (that way you know it's got a clear view of the satellites).

In the future, write in the forum post instead of a PM - that way others may benefit from the same answer.
  16. matthewjohn

matthewjohn New Member

Is there a way to increase the time for data send (max now 10min) to say 30min, 45min, 1hr, etc?
  17. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Currently no - it's not compiled into the program. The guy who writes the software is pretty cool though. I'm sure if you ask him he would be happy to update it with some additional time choices (doesn't seem like too large of an order to me).

You can contact him through his website: www.trackr.eu
  18. johnwashere

johnwashere New Member

Cool. I just installed this. Pretty cool, Ive seen these program before but they usually cost money. Very nice for free :) I added you to my friends list army
  19. armyturtle

armyturtle New Member

Ya - it's nice when things are free. Hey, nice pool by the way!
  20. johnwashere

johnwashere New Member

Yea it is :) Thanks! Im gona try to leave this running for awhile and see how it works. This will be nice for if I ever go out and loose my phone somewhere too! I wish my friends had smartphones with data access so I could track them! I hope this service stays free and stays up forever!