Sign of the Times . . .

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 1oddmanout, Jul 5, 2008.

1. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

Sign of the Times . . .

[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]I started this career three years over the July 4th weekend (customer service agent for legacy airline at international airport). During the briefing on the 3rd, the manager said that we were expecting loads of 104% of capacity. Not knowing what that meant, I began laughing - they first experienced my tendency to laugh and smile all of the time, especially when under stress – and got strange looks. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Ah yes, my first set of 12 hours days; welcome to the airline business! The lines and crowds were brutal; so long, that a lot of passengers couldn’t get to their flights on time. I must say, that my class of trainees knuckled under and stayed until the last passenger got on their way. Every holiday week has been the same since, even Christmas Day (although lately, passengers have learned to fly a few days early, so the loads were well spread out).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But this holiday week, beginning the 3rd, we noticed less passengers. Loads today on the 4th were only averaging 70%; bad news for the airlines, which needs every seat filled, but all flights today were on time and boarding was back like the fun days of flying, for agents and passengers alike.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But what does it mean? Sign of the times; that with high gasoline costs, food and clothing expenses, and citizens losing their mortgages and our economy rapidly sliding into recession, that so few can even afford to purchase airline tickets, even on holidays? Sad commentary.[/FONT]
  2. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

it is sad when milk is cheaper then gas. have you bought paint lately. 38 bucks for a gallon.Wait, where are are troops now, wonder if there is any oil there. what are we fighting for. ,No offence meant towards anyone. this is just getting crazy.
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

I'm not going to offer any political commentary, as I try to avoid that. I'm just glad that I buy more milk than gasoline (since I walk almost everywhere).
  4. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

And walking is a good thing. Another sign of the times; I buy TP in 4-roll packages, usually for a buck at the Dollar Tree or Giant; but I don't live near any one of those, so I bought a package at the walking-distance RiteAid for $1.69 - all-in-all, it was cheaper than driving to another store.

How has anyone else's life-style changed due to 'the times'?
  5. cheri

cheri Active Member

Our public transit is horrible, walking bah, ok maybe to the store but to really get any where its miles and miles in either direction.

Our school system for summer school is cramming all the special ed kids on one bus, which makes sense...but its not very time efficient for getting everyone to school on time.

Personally, there are decisions between rather necessary stuff that makes it quite stressful. I have had had 3 jobs in the past to make ends meet. Under current circumstances I am not able to do that any more.

I have to say when someone balks at me for trying to explain how the economy effects those who live on a fixed income or have to care for disabled,elderly family members it really makes me want to just take them and let them live a week in poverty, injury or devastating illness...some people just need a wake up for some compassion...not everyone is a leech.

Vacation what is that? lol

On a side note as well, being a negative nancy doesnt help things at all, dwelling doesnt achieve anything...a more conservative friend of mine and I were talking about this very subject, we have a vast difference of opinon on my topics such as this one....but the gas prices, its been a long time coming on that we agree, I seriously doubt any thing will change that.
  6. Mouseboots

Mouseboots New Member

Ok this is the thread where I wont gain any friends.....I was going to jump in with both feet, but I thought better of it just in time.. I will however say this. Research how much the rest of the world has been paying for gas since the 70's.
  7. cheri

cheri Active Member

i was also discussing that with a resident of Europe lol....now mind you i am familar with your statement...im curious, this i dont know for fact, but are other countries also subsidising their oil industry?

i dont know and i suppose i can ask my league of intriguing friends who are not already members of EQ lol
  8. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

Im clipping coupons.........me..........clipping coupons! If you knew me you would know that is soooooooo not me. I shop for clothes at thrift stores now, I eat all my left-overs, I cook at home more, I actually turn down interviews for jobs cause I say to myself "Is it really worth spending 4 bucks coming and going just to hear don call us we'll call you?" I unplug all my electronics when not in use to keep the bill down too.
  9. Mouseboots

Mouseboots New Member

next time you that a ride look at the number of cars parked in front of homes. Usually its one car per person that lives in the home as oppose to one or two cars per family. Think about all the crap we spend money on that we don't need or the places we go to get the things we don't need. But I know I know it is our American right to do these things and own these things... And to that I say just because its a right doesn't mean we have to do it. The chickens are coming home to roost and we have to feed them........
  10. cheri

cheri Active Member

my objection is that there are way too many people here that live "with out" work hard and live with out...no insurance, cant buy a home, barely have a car if one at all and live pay check to pay check. Granted there is alot of excess here but not for everyone. I think its important to get out and see beyond your own reality and I dont mean that personally im speakin about in general. Take your children to feed hungry families, convalescent homes, hospitals where ever, I believe that is important for kids to understand that not everyone has everything they want or even need for that matter. Many adults need the same education as well. Its a real eye opener and makes for a better more rounded individual who can appreciate what they do have.
  11. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

I said it before and i'll say it again: Cheri for President!!!!!!
  12. cheri

cheri Active Member

LOL you are funny and I am sure there are plenty who would reject that notion LOL...sure would be a lot more fun though :)

Lap tops for everyone!

jk
  13. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

yeah!!!! Laptops!!!!
  14. sherri

sherri Active Member

Hey, sis! I'd vote for you!
  15. cheri

cheri Active Member

wow TWO votes woo hoo im flying high now lol

luv you ladies :)
  16. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

Heck, you're already doing better than Hillary ever did.......SNAP! OH NO I DIDNT!!!!!!! LOL! Anyway, I already made campaign signs, cant back down now!
  17. cheri

cheri Active Member

You know we are under contract to avoid politics...soooo maybe we better hold of on the campaign lol
  18. Tech.erella

Tech.erella New Member

Oh okay *puts campaign signs in the back of the closet*
  19. sherri

sherri Active Member

Campaign or not, Cheri has my vote!
  20. 1oddmanout

1oddmanout Member

Whee hee hee, Cheri for me!