*sigh*Goodbye Q9c... Hello Samsung Ace?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by organicjerk, Mar 4, 2008.

1. organicjerk

organicjerk New Member

*sigh*Goodbye Q9c... Hello Samsung Ace?

Well after about 20 days, I think I'm just about done with the Q9c.... I dunno.

It already has the dust under the screen that I've read about here, and personally, it drives me insane and I don't want to have to get it replaced every month (or few months)...

Losing the GPS is gonna suck, but really, I only used it like a toy... the bigger features of Windows Live Search are still available to me...

The dust thing, once I read about it, became a constant worry for me, and I was always nervous about the screen/buttons and inadvertedly getting dust underneath the shared surface..Now that it's happened I can't help but stare at it..

If I do decide to go with the Ace, hopefully all will be better....no?

Any "bad" things about the Ace I should know about that would lead me to stay with the Q?
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

sorry you hadnt had so much luck with the Q....good luck with which ever you choose!
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

one bad thing with the Ace... i bet they don't have a great forum like this one :}

good luck..
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

There's a few extra Q forums, I think we can share...:)
    (not that we want to)
  5. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

In addition to the GPS, I would miss the Q9c's keyboard (assuming that the Ace's keyboard is like the Blackjack's, which it appears to be). Considering the improvements Samsung made from the original Blackjack to the Blackjack II (like GPS), the Ace seems to be lacking (though, the SIM card slot for world phone use is nice if you find yourself traveling the world alot).
  6. organicjerk

organicjerk New Member

Well I really want to stay with the Q9c, but these stupid little quirks REALLY irritate me...

Would getting a skin cover (Like Invisible Shield) for the device prevent any of the problems with dust? Has anyone figured out where the dust exactly comes into the device? Maybe we can plug it with some pvc cement or something?
  7. Arrogant125

Arrogant125 New Member

my buddy has the blackjack which is pretty much is the same thing as the ace..im on his phone everyday installing things out of my phone for him..the two phones are pretty much compatiable both work on windows format...The two downfalls that appeared to me are that the ace has a smaller screen(way) smaller..and the copy editing pasting files are a pain to do..not in a simple menu like the Q's verion....i just hate the smaller screen..it freaks me out
  8. UPdownLoAD

UPdownLoAD New Member

None of these statements may be true, as I have not used an Ace yet:

Pro: Able to download directly from Sprint ringers, screensavers, etc.
    Pro: Sprint Radio.
    Pro: Smaller (may be a Con).

Con: No GPS.
    Con: MUCH less battery life.
    Con: No GPS.
    Con: LOCKED!? Unable to install 3rd party appz?

Other than the above, it's WM6, with little support from Sprint or the manufacturer. I doubt either will go to WM 6.1 or 7, but we'll see. On the Sprint Q, there were 4 software updates within 8 months. That's pretty darn good support, compaired to when I used the PPC6700, 2 software updates in 2 years! That's why I switched, and am staying with Moto.
  9. organicjerk

organicjerk New Member

Whoah whoah WHAT?!?

Locked? I'm not sure if that means you can't install Third party apps, but maybe it refers to things like registry hacks and stuff?

I mean my Q9c was "locked" as well, and the HTCUnlock app took care of that... presumably it would take care of it for the ace as well?
  10. whittw

whittw New Member

After seeing my brother use a sync and now a blackjack, you couldn't pay me to use a samsung phone..
  11. UPdownLoAD

UPdownLoAD New Member

Most of the corp Sprint Stores in my area got them today, but said they don't go on sale until Sunday.

That being said, I did get to play with one, but it was not active. I won't get into too many opinions, but there was more I didn't like about it than did. My biggest complaint was that there was no stock "task manager" program to close active programs. Not good. There is also no stock program to EDIT documents, just view. Hope you don't need to edit that Word file!

I was able to get the link to MobiTV that the desktop icon downloads: http://www.mobitv.com/sprint/wm/i325 for those who care. Unable to prove if it has Sprint Radio with in it.

NO Sprint Vision portal, or any Java app to download anything, so that's an advertised lie.

As for being locked, I've seen several conversations on the subject. On of which is here- http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/samsung-i607-cingular-blackjack/104818-help-sprint-ace.html
  12. nethed

nethed New Member

Samsung Ace user

Hey guys. I just found this thread, and so I'll give you some end user experience about the ACE.

Disclaimer, this is my first Windows Mobile phone, but not my first samsung phone. I had the A900 for a year and a half, and other samsung phones whose model numbers escape me at the moment. I have used a Axim x51v for the past few years w/ my A900 tethered (NAI hack).

Probably the absolute WORST thing about this phone is the battery time. Lets say you set your outlook to check your email every 60 min, thats entirely reasonable, right? This is checking an Gmail IMAP box by the way. Half way through the day, I'm down one bar, by 5 PM, its charging time. I thought this was just the battery getting primed in the first couple of charge cycles, but nope, thats just how it is.

Dust under screen. Yep, here too, and only after ONE week.

PDANet does NOT work. Nor do they have any idea if/when it will work. The device is setup under M$FT's Two Tier security, so no unauthorized apps will install. That means, no registry hacks, no customization, nothing. I called Sprint support (Level 2, naturally) and they had no idea if/when they could unlock the feature set. (I used the usual ruse about writing software for their phones, etc. They told me to call Samsung.)

Call volume is hit or miss, with my Jawbone, the bluetooth radio is a champ, i can walk very far from the phone and its still clear as a bell, however, I wish it would be louder. The headset volume gets distorted very early on. I have a Slingbox, and I watch TV often on my handheld device. This thing is not loud enough by a long shot, and I need special headphones (see below)

I don't know if this is a WM6 specific problem, but when I choose the silent profile, DO NOT LET APPLICATIONS USE THE VIBRATION! Its rather embarrassing in a meeting. IM+ kept vibrating until I ripped the battery out.

Non-standard head-set. You can't just plug in a 2.5mm headset into it, needs an adapter.

There are some good things about this phone, the screen is crisp, the
    syncing over bluetooth is flawless, as is the cable sync. Charging is fast (i would hope so, the damn battery is tiny!). And it has an unlocked SIM card in the back when traveling.

However, I'm getting a Q9C on Tuesday, care of Sprint. I called and told them the same exact thing I just wrote here, and they are replacing it for me, and crediting my account. This thing is ok, but the battery issue, the locked down nature, and the problems with the headset are just too much to stomach. If the phone were less expensive, ok, I could deal with it, but for my money, its just not worth it.

Just my two cents.
  13. organicjerk

organicjerk New Member

Thanks nethed, thats everything I needed to hear.

Looks like I'm sticking with the Q9c!
  14. jae.keyz

jae.keyz New Member

your going to sell ur q9c for a blackjack 1.5... ARE YOU CRAZY?!? I would happilly take q9c with dust under its softkeys that stick a little but you get use to. Why go back to old technology that doesnt really have any perks (reliability, features, etc etc)?

Ive learned my lessons, I will never get another Samsung [smart/dumb] phone, highly overrated!
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

to each it's own.... you know the Q is not for everyone.

ps. i think the OP decided to keep the Q9 after all :}
  16. swimdng

swimdng New Member

how to stop further dust from collecting?

I can deal with a little dust in my Q9c, because this phone is so good to use. But exactly how do you guys prevent more dust from collecting under the LCD screen? The sticky screen protector? Thanks!
  17. nethed

nethed New Member

I've been using my q9c for about a month now, and there *knock on wood*, is no dust. I applied the invisible shield a day or two after I got the phone, and love it.
  18. swimdng

swimdng New Member

Good for you and looks like it is working well. I will try it too. Thanks again!
    Without something to protect dust from entering, I definitely see more and more dust under my screen since I often times just put the phone in my jeans pocket... lots of dust there! :wink:

19. something has to be separated a bit on your phone.
    I have the 9m and the only dust is from the edges of the invisible shield picking it up....
  20. photoblogger

photoblogger New Member

I was torn between Ace and Q. Both Ace for myself, Q for my wife, first smartphones for both of us. She was dissatisfied with the whole device/shape/concept and returned her Q, and I preferred the Q over Ace. Main reason was speed to photoblog, but GPS has been a fun perk: the Ace didn't have ability to "Send" right from the picture-view menu! Totally arbitrary, but that was my reason. I bought the Q, and several hacks later, I couldn't be happier.