Shortage of memory help requested

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by bhall238, May 4, 2007.

1. bhall238

bhall238 New Member

Shortage of memory help requested

I searched for this and didnt find anything, but this must have been asked before, so forgive me. Memory manager tells me my device has 52.49 Mb, but only 0.50Mb free. What might be using up all my memory? Please give me some ideas about what to look for. I often get "Alert"s telling me I am low on memory; one time I noticed that the last several phone calls I made were not stored in the call history because of no spare memory. I have all my pictures stored on the SD card; I continually check and kill all applications. I even delete my call history log from time to time, which I know doesn't take much memory, but I do it anyway. I look forward to any assistance.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

try to delete your internet history
    open IE then menu...options then memory and erase it...
    also if you installed alot of program it takes up memory...if you have an SD card you can install them there
  3. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea, it must be pretty bad if the Q doesn't have space to save as little as a last call record..

clean house (read: Q :}
  4. bhall238

bhall238 New Member

I have not downloaded any programs yet, but I will try the internet history idea. Thanks. Any other suggestions? What is the free memory reading on your Qs? What is an average or typical amount?
  5. n99hockey

it varies from person to person and what they put on the Q
    i think i have something like 18-19 megs free
  6. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i have nearly all software installed on the device and not on the storage card (except for Documents to Go) here is a list of my installed software: http://www.roeiboot.com/q/qapps.html

Used: 35.01 MB
    Free: 17.48 MB
  7. n99hockey

really?
    i have all software on the SD card....
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yep, really... not sure since i had the storage card about as long as i had the Q, just kept installing on the device until recently.
  9. g-funkster

g-funkster New Member

I have nearly everything on the device except for games. Things load a bit faster, and all my essentials are there in case the card pops out or I lose it (heaven forbid!!).

Here's a tip: install SKtools (free) and tell it to do a clean-up every 3AM, it will delete all internet cache automatically.

Here's another tip: Compress exe files by 50% or more (ymmv) with UPX4SP. Things like Opera which is 5MB (PPC version for instance) compresses to 1MB and you get the additional benefit of things loading faster. I UPX nearly all my apps, save a ton of space.
  10. xnight

xnight New Member

Go to your windows folder, unhide hidden files, look for the messaging folder then inside of that open the attachment folder and delete every single file from there and i guarantee you'll save a lot of memory.

Most people dont have an unlimited data plan, and they really dont download many attachments from e-mails so they dont have these issues.

You can also have all your temp internet files and history go right to your memory card.......but thats another issue

It worked for me
  11. n99hockey

i would kinda beg to differ...most people DO have the data plan.....its not just attachments, its the internet...if your surfing the net with out it then your gonna be screwed at the end of the month....
  12. xnight

xnight New Member

I couldn't help myself, but i had to turn my computer back on to reply after reading the e-mail in my Q.

Those with data plans will not have a memory problem as bad as those who have it, because......no web and no email means no history and no attachments.

The reason i posted a comment was not to hurt your feelings or prove you wrong (which i will do later), but to reply to the fella in need of help, and inform him that BESIDES clearing the internet history he should delete his attachments (if his settings are affecting his memory, and i never said ONLY ATTACHMENTS).

I seriously doubt (and i have no proof), that MOST people will pay $45.00 just to have unlimited data, dont forget that the Q is also used by the average cell phone user that enjoys having a toy just for the sake of having it.

Oh and i'll bet you anything, that if he does have an UNLIMITED data plan (which was not the initial issue at hand) and has email accounts synced to his Q, he will have tons of megs of attachments to delete.

Oh, i have lots of programs installed in my card too................. but i have 27 megs free, hmmm i wonder why?
  13. n99hockey

lol.....alright man breathe....
  14. bhall238

bhall238 New Member

Ok, I deleted my Temp files, cookies, and History; this gave me back about a MB. I do not have the unlimited data plan, I have the 10 MB one, but as of yet, I do not have my e-mail set up anyway; I shouldn't have any attachments. When I go to my windows folder, I don't see any hidden files to unhide, but again, I don't believe I have any attachments.

This is the device memory message I am getting:
    Device Storage 52.49 MB
    Used: 51.02 MB
    Free: 1.48 MB

I have 26,72 MB of Ram free, but I don't think this is the problem. I have no programs installed so what else can it be?
  15. xnight

xnight New Member

The reason u dont see them its because they may be "hidden", in any case go to the windows folder hit menu on the right hand side and go to options and unclick hide hidden folders and unclick hide system files.....if in fact they are hidden, then like i said look for that messaging folder and inside of that you should see the attachments folder, if you have any, select them all and delete them, if not, im sure we'll find the reason.

Do you take lots of pictures, or accidentally like i do once in a while if i forget to lock my keys and end up with a dozen pictures of the inside of my pocket?
    Check that DCIM folder

How about your Recycled folder?
  16. bhall238

bhall238 New Member

Thanks to everyone that responded. I unhid everything and I was right, there were no attachments. It was music:embarassed:; I forgot I had a whole album in there and it was stored in the device, not on the storage card (it is now). I did learn a lot from this discussion though and I appreciate it very much, didn't mean to start an argument. I have 37 MB free now. xnight, where are those DCIM and recycled folders located exactly?

Speaking of music, does it matter if I have all my ring tones stored on the SD card as opposed to in the device memory?
  17. xnight

xnight New Member

The DCIM is the default folder where the pictures u take with the camera go.....i dont remember exactly where it WAS but in mine it's in the card now, i believe it was a reg hack, or maybe a setting with the camera how i changed it, the recycled folder is in the root folder of the device, its the last folder on the list
  18. hawkim

hawkim Guest

hi, I tried installing on my sd card and thought I was everytime I was asked, device or storage card, but Im running out of space on my device. how can I get more space on the device and move some stuff over to my card?:angry:
  19. PrO...

PrO... New Member

I have storage out the a** on my Q.everything mentioned frees up storage not memory.i'm running out of memory and need help fast.
    ohh and on that upx45sp do i have to enter the files in one by one?
  20. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

DCIM folder will be recreated if you delete it automatically. All i have to do is set the camera to save them to the SD card, no reg hack required.