Setting up Hotmail to use SSL on WP7

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by The Sand, Nov 14, 2010.

1. The Sand

The Sand New Member

My new LG Quantum setup Hotmail automatically. I see it uses "m.hotmail.com." When I set up Hotmail through Outlook and my Nokia N900 I used 995 SSL incoming and 587 TLS outgoing. When you check the header after you send something from Hotmail it says that it went over TLS.

I have no idea if this new "m.hotmail.com" is using SSL or not as it shows no setting to be sure. When I looked it up online... if you wanted to add "m.hotmail.com" for your Droid or iPhone it says to make sure to enable SSL.

What makes me hesitant is last night my WP7 set up Yahoo "automatically" for IMAP which I believe has no SSL because when I selected to enable it - it no longer worked. I tried to modify the Yahoo account to use 993/465 SSL (the normal SSL enabled ports for Yahoo POP3) and still no joy. I had to wipe the phone and manually enter Yahoo to get it right.

I am hoping I don't have to wipe the phone again because of the Hotmail account. I want SSL - I know I can get it using the "older" hotmail settings... but don't want to go through all this to change it, if SSL is indeed enabled.

Does anybody know for sure if "m.hotmail.com" is using an SSL enabled port?

Thanks,
    Sandy

p.s. As a side note I was STUNNED I had no Outlook sync... I realize the "cloud" is the norm - but not for everybody... an Outlook sync would be nice. I will have to manually input all my contact/calendar info and maintain it manually... unless I want to put all my info on a web based mail server. I like this OS so much I am actually willing to do this. But Nokia, Droid, iPhone and RIM all offer a direct Outlook sync. I hope WP7 will offer this is the future for those of us who don't put everything in "the cloud."
  2. The Sand

The Sand New Member

I contacted LG and AT&T to find out the answer to this... LG was a waste of time - AT&T is going to look into it get back to me. I will post here what I find out as I am sure we would all like to know if SSL is enabled on the m.hotmail.com server.
  3. termleech

termleech Member

4. Aximtreo

Aximtreo Member

Stupid question? I have both a MSN and a Hotmail user name. Can I use either to sync or is the Hotmail account the only way. I guess the right question is both of these considered Hotmail accounts?
  5. The Sand

The Sand New Member

I did see that hotmail via the web browser is now https. Thanks for sharing that - it is great news. How your smartphone access hotmail is the issue here. I select SSL enabled ports from my Smartphone to connect to Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail... this new connection to Hotmail (m.hotmail.com) is not stating whether it is SSL. Is is especially importing to use SSL ports when you use wifi hotspots. I would imagine they set it up to do so - but "knowing" is a must here.

As for username - not a stupid question at all - I didn't even know you could have 2. I would use the one that connected me to my hotmail account - meaning email/contacts and calendar as that is what the phone syncs.

Sandy
  6. The Sand

The Sand New Member

Just to pass along nobody has been able to "confirm" if m.hotmail.com (or basically your Windows Live Hotmail account through WP7) is SSL or not. I have it on another forum and it has been escalated... hopefully we'll know something soon.

If you want to be sure you are using SSL you can create your Hotmail account as an exchange account - which will give you the option to use SSL - but the phone doesn't recognize that as your Windows Live ID so you are still left "signing in" at some point and having the phone automatically create the Hotmail account which will start syncing your contacts/calendar/notes possibly without SSL.

I will post back when I hear something...