SERO... A question of scruples.

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by dapperyout, Jan 24, 2008.

1. dapperyout

dapperyout New Member

SERO... A question of scruples.

Now some may call me stoopid, but hear me out first. I just got back into the Sprint fold with my Q9c after a one hear hiatus with Verizon. Prior to my return I procured the email address of a sprint employee from someone I knew, and that person had gotten it from someone else. I did check, and it was valid, I could have signed up for a SERO plan. In the end, I opted against it because I wasnt sure of how it worked in the background and didn't want to risk cancellation, paybacks with interest.. blah blah blah. Suppose the employee had to be contacted for any reason? I just figured it wasnt worth the hassle and just go straight up, I got the Q9c for free on that one week Best Buy special anyway. So what would you have done if you were in my shoes? Taken the SERO and ran? Is there anyway for this to have come back to me? Would there have been consequences and repercussions? I still have the email address, and I know I can switch, I would probably have to ditch my current number and even if I had to pay the $200 it would still be worth it cause I did get the 9C for free, and the bill would be significantly lower. What would you fellow 9c lovers do?
  2. rosem119

rosem119 New Member

It would have been just plain wrong. Even if nothing had come back to get you, you would have always known it was wrong.
  3. tmacmoney

tmacmoney New Member

I signed up with the SERO plan using a generic email address and it worked, heres a link with all the info you need. As long as you sign up online you should have no problems.. I haven't had any. I got the $30/month plan which includes 500 anytime mins, unlimited data usage, unlimited text and the other usual stuff and got my q9c for 150 after rebates.
  4. Spivdog

Spivdog New Member

SERO is not some sort of national secret. I called retentions, asked for it, and was told no. tried a day later and was given it no problem.

I was an existing customer. If you are a new or returning customer it should be EASIER. If sero is best for you, just call and get it.
  5. whittw

whittw New Member

I didn't have a Sprint account nor knew someone from Sprint and signed up, I figured they would have said something during the approval process.

Check the slickdeals thread here, it'll answer all of your questions. Hell, I think they even say that you have an easier time if you arent an existing customer.
    They also say you should be able to transfer your number.
  6. pjsnyc

pjsnyc New Member

SERO all the way baby! Got mine without a hitch...though a bit too soon cuz i dont have unlimited txting :(
  7. whittw

whittw New Member

Unlimited messaging rocks... especially when I am paying nothing for it.. :) You could call and see if they'd add it on for you...
  8. primer

primer New Member

damn i just changed my wifes and my plan and they didnt tell me anything about this (ive actually never heard of it til now???). fuck. 700 anytime = 69.99, unlimited sms for her and i = 20, unlimited data for me = 15. paying just about 100 after taxes and my military discount. what are the specs of this sero plan? its not available for family plans right?
  9. resinis

resinis New Member

you dont need family plans with sero. it includes free mobile to mobile, any nextel or sprint customer you can call for free/unlimited.

sero details right now are 500anytime/nightsweekends@7pm-7am/free roaming/free texts mms/free mobile to mobile for $30 a month, about $36 after taxes. its also easy to find codes that will give you $25 off your first two bills, so my first two months were $13. and i used over 3000 texts during that time

sprint has been great for me. no problems with customer service anymore either. call early in the morning or late at night and youll find they have excellent service actually... those are the times you get english speaking people too...
  10. flygirl

flygirl New Member

I am on the SERO plan (since 1/16/08) and I've had multiple issues with billing (credits)and technical issues but each time, their customer service has answered my questions and promptly resolved the issues. SPRINT ROCKS! I'm so happy with the service and phone (even though I am still learning it and the problems have been operator error).

As far as scruples, SERO is open to everyone right now. I think there was a Sprint web page that listed the generic email address anyone can use. I'm new to this forum and not sure if I can post that email addy but that email is addy is what I used to get my SERO account.
  11. pjsnyc

pjsnyc New Member

I would, but I'm afraid to call and have the CSR screw up my account...I rarely go over 500 txts anyway, so if it aint broke...dont fix it :)
  12. primer

primer New Member

so to add the unlimited data just at 15/mon to that? hrmmm too bad i just did a 2 year at this plan. wonder if they would let me change it
  13. tbhausen

tbhausen New Member

Damn, no wonder Sprint's hemhorraging money. Hope they can stay in business.

Todd/Indy
  14. onesimus

onesimus New Member

The Onesimus Report: Savings. The Sprint Sero Plan

To the original poster. I myself had TREMENDOUS amounts of doubts about the SERO plan. Hence I decided to do research (I'm the type) and "publish" my findings.
    Upon completion of this report, and with some great "word of mouth" from everyone; about 14-15 people (from my group of friends/family) have already switched (many even paying the ETF-early termination fees- of their carriers). Just sit down, and plot out the numbers.
    -------------------------------------------
    Introduction:
    I believe we're all biased in our "choices"/"memberships". If confronted one will always argue that his/her bank (Wachovia!), gym, peripheral (Sony, Nintendo, 360), computer (PC vs MAC) is the best. However, one must make informed, logical decisions with all investments/purchases. Too many times we fail to get past the bias and think things thoroughly.

Stop being a fanboy!

This is how I came across the Sprint Sero plan.

I had heard a lot about it, but was too biased/arrogant to look into it. I had the typical "oh Sprint sucks! Worst reception" attitude. But I explored my "options" and here are my findings (side by side comparison).

* This comparison is in regards to a Wireless plan that would provide the following:
    Nationwide Long Distance
    Unlimited Night & Weekend
    Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
    Unlimited Text Messaging
    Unlimited Data usage (non Tethering)
    Range of 450-550 "Anytime" talk minutes.
    + all other components such as call waiting, voicemail, caller ID, are assumed to be included.

-For the sake of the report. I chose to keep as many variables of the comparison the same.
    This includes the phone (Motorola Q 2nd generation) which is available on all three carriers under a different name with very minor differences between each.
    The coverage "location" is Somerset NJ 08873.
    [​IMG]

Here's the URL if you want to see the larger version.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2299/2193207302_d3f76fe854_o.jpg

Notes:
    * Sprint SERO is a "special" plan for friends/family of Sprint employees. However, anyone is eligible.
    ** Can Add 7 P.M N/W for $9 on cingular. Verizon does not offer such option. This was NOT added into the calculations above.
    *** Verizon does not offer unlimited data/text on smartphones/PDAs under the $100 plan.
    ***** None of the plans above implicitly allow "Tethering". Cingular and Verizon offer tethering capabilities at additional charges.
    ****** Sprint Sero: Code "URANG" discount
    ******* If Insurance is added ($7 for Sprint, $5 for Cingular, $6 for Verizon), final totals are Sprint: $766, Cingular: $2115, Verizon: $2161.
    ******** All information gathered via respective websites www.sprint.com/sero, www.cingular.com, www.verizonwireless.com. As well as speaking, chatting with respective carrier representatives

Key:
    Highlights (Yellow): Indicates the "best" (cheapest, most offered) choice.
    --------------------------
    -------------------

Conclusion: Having been on the Sprint network for less than a week, I have no comments regarding the quality of "coverage/reception" of Sprint. So far it's been fine. Only time will tell.

However, in the long run (2 yrs) the savings of $1,374 compared to Cingular (my old carrier) and $1,404 (Verizon) are startling and worth noting.

Pros
    -Free nights and weekends start at 7 as opposed to 9 for Cingular and Verizon. In my experience w/ cell phone usage. Majority of my calls are made in the 6-8 pm hour. Right after I get out of work.
    -Cingular charges 90 dollars for unlimited use in the EDGE network (which is very slow). Sprint's unlimited use is using the EVDO (same as Verizon's) technology. Same speed but for a third of the cost.
    -Sprint makes some strange offers/discounts. The basic motto is: "If they say no. Call again and they'll say yes". They'll give you discounts, credits which you are not technically entitled to.

Cons
    - Theoretically inferior coverage/network.
    - CSR's are inconsistent (But this can work for your advantage see the last "pro" comment) and don't speak english.
    - Phone selection is not as great.

Sprint
    Great if:
    - You want to save money.
    - Be "creative" with findings ways to save more money.

Not great if:
    - You value "coverage" over savings.
    - You want a phone like the iPhone, LG Voyager.
    -----------------------------------

This concludes the report.

When all is said and done I'll be paying $22.50 - $30 a month for my wireless bill. What will you be paying?
    -------------------------------------
    Update
    Btw- My first month's bill was $8.50, and next month's is gonna be $3.50.
  15. dirtysouthrider

dirtysouthrider New Member

i was a long time Nextel customer and finally went over to Sprint....i tried to get the Sero plan after a week from going to a retailer and reading on here....after 3 long calls i was able to get a Sero "like " plan....for $40 bucks a month

Unlimited text, data, mobile to mobile, and Navigation....:tounge:
  16. jinro

jinro New Member

Nice Summary: Note SERO is technically not compatible with a Corporate Discount. Some have gotten it, some have been refused and some have gotten it and then had it removed. Still great plan, great deal.
  17. jinro

jinro New Member

I had the same situation, 500 text and when I found out SERO offered unlimited text, I just emailed Sprint (ecare) and asked if that could be added since it's on the current SERO plan. 1 email was all it took.
  18. dapperyout

dapperyout New Member

Jinro,

Thanks for the comments, I don't doubt the savings potential, I'm just afraid of getting into any kind of issues by using an benefit that was directly given to me. I just dont want any kind of problems as far as that is concerned.

But as far as I am understanding, you and other posters are saying that there are alternative ways to get on a Sero plan, one of which is by just contacting customer service and requesting it? That sounds too good to be true.

That being said, If anyone out there knows a straight and narrow method besides hammering e-care lets here it! I would gladly loose the number I've had for years and pay the $200 cancellation to get a plan that like Jinro pointed out, upwards of $1000 over the life of a typical 2 year contract.

Any one got a few good tips on how to get it done without fear of repercussions?
  19. steindog99

steindog99 New Member

How to 'legally' set up SERO

Here is how you do it. There is still one "public" email address that anyone can use to sign up for the SERO plan. Go to www.sprint.com/sero

Where it asks for the email address for the person that referred you, simply use savings@sprintemi.com.

It will bring you into your own private discount store where you can pick a phone and a plan. Make sure to use the URANG discount code before you checkout to get a $50 statement credit as well...

Hope that helps, it really doesn't get any easier than that. That email is valid until Feb. 16.
  20. 11sec_lx

11sec_lx New Member

What Steindog did is exactly what I did. I then signed up the Mrs, my Parent's and a co-worker too.

I am having so much fun with this Q9C and having unlimited internet with me everywhere I go!