Sending pictures with text messaging

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Carmen, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Sending pictures with text messaging

I just got a Q and was surpised to learn that I can't send a photo directly to another phone with text. I have to send it as an email attachment to an email address. Is this correct? I had a cheap little camera phone before that let me send photos all the time, now I have to go through multiple steps to send a photo. I hope I'm missing something. Any tips? My carrier is sprint.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you can...its called MMS
    you just plug in the phone number that you want it to go to
    its picture messaging...although it counts as data usage so make sure you have the data plan otherwise you cant use it
  3. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Thanks. How do I set up MMS? When I select the send soft key off the photo and then the text messaging option, it doesn't attach (or allow me to attach) the photo. Is the MMS something I have to configure?
  4. chrisxxx

chrisxxx New Member

you dont have to set up.
    just scroll down and youll see picture.
  5. Carmen

Carmen New Member

I'm trying to send it with the text messaging function, not email. It's not attached to the text message. When I hit the send softkey off a photo, it gives me the text messaging option and the email option. I want to send it to another phone, not an email address, but each time I try, it sends a text message, but no photo.
  6. chrisxxx

chrisxxx New Member

click on mms.
    then in the TO: put in the number.

or better yet. go to your pictures and then click on the picture you want to send. and when you do that softkey the send. the picture will be put in an mms and then all you have to do is justput in the phonenumber youre going to send it to in the "To:"
    it sends as a text message format.
  7. ydeeznutz

ydeeznutz New Member

Im pretty sure Carmen has a sprint moto q. The answer is. there is no mms. You have to go thru email.
  8. Carmen

Carmen New Member

I do have a Sprint Q. I can't believe how stupid and frustrating it is that Sprint is not enabling this feature. Is there any point complaining to Sprint? Or is there an easy hack?
  9. kscwv

kscwv New Member

I also have a sprint Q and would like to send pic mail. I can get them but thats about it.
  10. johncal

johncal New Member

One important thing to remember however.....and I found this out the hard way, if you have your camera set for maximum resolution and quality, you can easily exceed the 300K filesize you can send.

In the camera section under options I set the software to resize the picture size to 640 X 480 when e-mailing pictures.

I'm not sure it will auto atically resize for picture messaging, but Id be willing to bet it will
  11. ydeeznutz

ydeeznutz New Member

sorry carmen. Basically for now i just send my pics from my phone via my gmail account and people recieve them no problem. ie: 5551112222@pm.sprint.com is for sprint (of course enter your number where the junk numbers are now) but i check everyday for some kind of hack for this but everyday, nothing. I'll be sure to let you know if i come across something though. :laugh2:
  12. yellowzx01

yellowzx01 New Member

Yeah I have Ntelos and I can't send or recieve picture messages. I got unlimited data just so I'd be able too...
  13. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Ok.............I found something that works......at least for me it did.

I am a sprint customer, 6yrs now, and love them. I have the Q and love it, but like to send picture mail ALOT. Here is what I found out.

I have a friend on Verizon, I try sending him "picture mail". I set up my Sprint PCS mail account. Then I tried sending a picture to him from the address he sent one to me on..........this failed. So I went to the verizon web site and a couple of forums and found this out.

If I send an email through my Sprint PCS account to 10digitnumber@vzwpix.com, it goes through and he is able to see the picture I sent. Not sure how this works on other carriers, but it works for me from Sprint to Verizon, as "picture mail" of sorts.

Hope this helps.....

SimpleBinary New Member

Verizon - $45 unlimited data, Photo texting
    Sprint - $15 unlimited data, No Photo Texting

They really need to merge with the Sprint's cost of unlimited data and Verizon's picture texting! :thumbup:
  15. Carmen

Carmen New Member

I sent a note complaining to Spint for what its worth. I'm seriously considering sending the phone back just because of this issue. I love everything else about the phone, but I used picture mail alot on my last phone. It doesn't even seem to be an option you can pay for!
  16. Carmen

Carmen New Member

Success!!

This worked for me. I set up my sprint pcs mail (I had a tech walk me through that part) and then I emailed to my husband's picture mail account (10digitphone#@pm.sprint.com). He received the pic with the message as a text message. When he replied, it went to my text messages. Its a little bit of a pain to do send/receive everytime I want to send a pic, but I suppose I can live with that. Also, it comes up on his phone as no caller ID, so when he wants to reply, he has to type in my phone #. I can live with that too. Thanks everyone for your help. I hope Sprint wises up and offers real picture mail soon!!
  17. cash459

cash459 New Member

when you say that it worked for you, do you mean that you sent a pic succesfully to your husbands sprint phone or that you sent it to a verizon phone like the previous girl did??

ive tried it that way and its not working for me... :frown:

what "program" did you use to actually send the pic? gmail? outlook? etc.

thanks for any help!
  18. hexum311ad

hexum311ad New Member

does anyone know if windows mobile 6 will have this feature built in? I love the Q but not having picture mail is BS. the verizon Q can do it. I am tempted to return EVERYTHING i just bought....arg im frustrated

Anthony
  19. mbnickel

mbnickel New Member

Unfortunately, I just spent an hour on the phone w/ Sprint about this same problem, and the best answer that I got out of them was:

"It's an issue with Windows new platform that doesn't interface with Sprint's system. Yes, I know that Verizon can do it, and there are numerous other companies that can do it, too. But at this time, any of our phones with the Windows platform cannot do "picture mail". Sprint has numerous phones that offer "picture mail", however none of the phones w/ the Windows platform can do it. The only way that you can send files, attachments, or pictures is through your email w/ the phone. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but we do thank you for choosing Sprint today."

What a crock! Arrggh!:angry:
  20. cash459

cash459 New Member

its really not that big of a deal to send the pics as attachments throught your email...there ARE ways to still send the pics directly to people's phones....and if im not mistaken, im sure most of the people who picked up a Q got it to use it in some aspect to use the email feature....so just amke adjustments and move on

(if you need help, let me know)