Selling: How to delete phone number?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by SzDoc, Jul 9, 2010.

1. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

Selling: How to delete phone number?

I am selling my Q9c. How do I delete my phone number, which I do not wish to pass on to the buyer? Is it through the NAM1 settings in the service menu?

If I do delete it there, will the buyer be able to properly activate the phone upon purchase?

Having done a hard reset, is there anything else I need to do to prepare the phone for sale?

I did try to search this in these fora, but I couldn't find a clear answer.

Thanks much.
  2. ryant35

ryant35 Member

Try contacting your service provider. How are you going to sell the phone? Craigslist, Ebay? Depending on how you might end up giving the buyer your phone number to contact you anyway.
  3. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

Verizon is, er, not helpful on this matter. I am a physician and my cellular telephone number is quite private: I don't give it out.

The device is listed on eBay, BTW.

Thanks.
  4. ryant35

ryant35 Member

I have Verizon too, and I don't see anything in the settings. You might not want to sell the phone if this is the case.
  5. mking8288

mking8288 Member

Master Reset will erase all user data and restore default settings.

Activation of the Q9c is based on the device's IMEI/MEID (ESN) & validated by VZW's database. I stand corrected on this but changng the number on the device via the Service Menu will not result in a failed activation, assuming that you can edit/change it as it is programmed OTA as part of the phone activation download and is SPL locked.

As it's a Windows (Mobile) device, the NAM1 info is also kept somewhere in the Registry that 98% of the users will never touch or come to know, let alone try to retrieve or view it with the hacker's toolbox of mobile Registry Editors like Resco - but, it's typically erased as part of the Master Reset.

My point is that you are worry about (HIPAA ??) personal privacy as a physician, then you might want to NOT sell it on eBay and simply keep it as a spare for backup purposes - eliminating the cell number from a device does NOT eliminate it from numerous databases that keep track of your information.

Everyone from the alarm company operator/dispatch, after hour answering services, building services, security & disaster responses, lab techs with critical/abnormal values, among others - have access to my clinic docs & administrator/key personnel's office, cell, pager, home, designated out of town/backup numbers, along with email addresses, etc. as part of the overall information management protocols. Not giving it out does not insure that it will be kept from everyone else - the average ebay buyer isn't intereted in posting the seller's phone number all over cyberspace, just take it easy.

Good luck & if it doesn't feel right, don't do it - keep it & it's secured in your own personal domain at all times.

Otherwise, consider donating it for a good cause - our medical center collect used phones & chargers all the time for recycling & reconditioning so that it can be given to domestic violence programs - for 911 calls. VZW is a partner & I'm sure it is wiped clean of everything so your number is safe. And, consult your tax accountant about the possibility for a non-cash itemized charity deduction.
  6. ryant35

ryant35 Member

Or you can smash it with a sledge hammer... it's a great stress reliever.
  7. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

mking8288: I had Resco when I was actively using the phone. I'm fairly aggressive about using registry edits on Windows devices of all stripes to improve function, although I don't use the cooked ROMs on phones, for reliability reasons. The number persisted after a master reset. I erased it in the service menu and it's gone. Your point on activation is taken: I didn't alter any part of the MEID data.

My concern about my number is not HIPAA, it's my privacy. The hospitals I work at do not have it, I do not use an agency for call, it is not listed with our homeowners' association, etc. Private. I did, in fact, have a previous cellular telephone number compromised in this manner. Not gonna happen again, dammit.

And, I just donated 2 older, but quite serviceable devices for a good cause (DOD and not medical, in this case). And I DO have a backup device. I have had some sort of backup since my original HP LX100. For this one, I need the $ to pay for its replacement. As a government employee, my salary is far below what people think physicians earn, and I can't buy my new toy without selling a few old.

Long: Sorry. However, I wanted to be clear that your points were good, and had been considered.

Thanks, all. Appreciate the help.
  8. riskybzns

riskybzns Active Member

govt physcians make anywhere from 80k on up. if someone can't live on that and have to worry about selling their phone on ebay to make up for the replacement, then it sounds like some budgetting needs to be looked at.

just my 2 cents :)
  9. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

I don't make $80k.
  10. ryant35

ryant35 Member

I think he is saying if your number is that private than maybe you shouldn't sell the phone. Just like how the best way to keep your personal information when selling or donating your computer, is to keep or smash your hard drive. No matter how many times you format or delete, there will always be a record of your files. It's the same with your phone.
  11. SzDoc

SzDoc New Member

Point taken. Thanks.
  12. mking8288

mking8288 Member

If you know how to flash your Q9c with RSD Lite with the Monster file, it should wipe the device clean - well 99.9998% & restore it to factory state, and the NAM1 field will be blank or empty. Link below for the files is from the folks posted at the XDA Forum -

http: // shipped-roms . com/shipped/Motorola/Q9C/ (delete those blank spaces when you input the url)

You should be able to find RSD Lite via goggle, good luck with it.
  13. ryant35

ryant35 Member

I flashed my Q9m to WM 6.1 and it became a Q9c. However my phone number remained in the phone and it still worked without reprogramming through VZW.
  14. mking8288

mking8288 Member

If that's true, then the only option is to "brick" the phone - corrupting all the data on it - and, then force it into bootloader mode & flash the monster. Hopefully, the buyer will have no issues getting it activated as these phones had been out of production & aren't warrantied anymore - I retired mine to my "spare phone closet" this January after using for a year.

It's a problem with CDMA phones and it's much easier with GSM or sim card-based phones, just pull out sim card, do a Master Reset to wipe out the phonebook entries & sms/emails on the device, and it's ready for sale/use by someone else.

Perhaps the Dr. wanted to see if someone with a VZW phone account will trust him & let him activate the phone on their number on a temporary basis, so that the doctor's number will be gone & the friend's number will be the last one on the phone before any Master Reset, wiping, bricking and flashing work to prepare it for the ebay buyer?? It's a lot of work enough - not to mention the mandatory Data Plan issues with these smartphone (Q9c are supposed to be exempt by calling CSR to remove it) .... oh, boy.

Personally, I will just keep the phone & not bother selling it - I too, wanted that newest toy, like the Droid (my other half wanted me to get that iPhone back in 2007) - but, our priorities are a bit different these days and I'm perfectly happy with my HTC on a customized 3VO rom.