Seidio Slim Rubberized Hard Case Works!

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by burkc, Nov 11, 2007.

1. burkc

burkc New Member

Seidio Slim Rubberized Hard Case Works!

Seidio Slim Rubberized Hard case and Holster Review

I recently received my Seidio Hard Rubberized case and present the following for your consideration. Please note I have the Alltel Motorola Q which has the lightly textured coating that makes the phone slightly larger, so I am told.

Initial impression: At first glance the holster seemed to be of high quality and solid construction. This impression proved to be true and will be discussed later. The rubberized case seemed to be of a slightly less sturdy material but after installation the case really shows its true colors. The “rubberization” seems to be a thin spray on finish over a standard type plastic hard cover, much like you can buy at the mall for just about any phone. The finish however gives the case a really comfortable and grippy feel.

Installation of the case. This is where most of the reviews have concentrated on shortcomings so I was determined to take my time and be patient. First I installed a new screen protector since I really didn’t want to remove the case if I didn’t have to. The case came to me already snapped together so I was worried about unsnapping it but my concerns were unfounded as it popped right apart without incident. The case is basically two halves that are almost form fitted to the phone which “clip” together with VERY small “tongues and slots”. I laid the bottom half on the desk and placed the Q in it and then placed the top half over the Q. If you do this and try to just clamp the top half straight down and snap it into place it will not work. I think this is what a lot of users have tried and instantly said “it doesn’t fit”. What I did was connect the tongue and slot at the corners where the fit was the tightest and then moved down the sides attaching the tongue to the slots. A hint to make these “click” is to ever so gently pry up the half with the tongue and hold it open while you press the halves together. You might not hear a distinct “click” but once the tongue attaches to the slot you will know it. They will stay in place. If one end or the other seems to give you more trouble than the other, start with them attached first and move to the other clips.

Fit of the case: Once the case is installed and you are satisfied that you are past the scary part, you will love this case. It does not make the profile of Q much bigger at all. If you don’t have the version of the phone with the textured coating, you will love the feel the case gives your phone. If you do have the version that is coated already, it won’t change the feel of your phone all that much. The two halves fit together nicely once you have mastered the install. All of the cutouts for camera, charging ports and speakers are placed well and do not obstruct the use of that particular feature. I will note that I had to kind of wiggle the USB cable a little bit to get it to connect properly. Evidently the case (albeit thin) slightly interferes with the fit of the plug. However, the charge/sync was completed without problem. The car charger and the home charger neither one were interfered with.

Function of the case: I have used the case for several days now and do not find that the case interferes with any of the keyboard functions of the Q. The d-pad “up” is close to the cross bar but it does not present any problems with the function. The right and left soft keys are also close to the cross bar but did not seem to be affected. If you have fat fingers, you may find differently. I had to use my fingernail to get the cover off the headphone jack but nothing more than before the case was installed. If you don’t have fingernails, you had trouble with this anyway, same with the SD card cover. I have not dropped the case on concrete and do not plan to. I can’t say if this case will come apart on impact or not, but it will definitely protect your phone at least once. One thing I like about this case is that if you want to carry it in the holster it works great and if you want to carry it in your pocket, it goes in and out smoothly and doesn’t collect pocket lint, both problems with the silicon covers.

Holster review: As mentioned above, the holster seemed to be of high quality and the spring clip on the top that holds the phone in place was of sufficient strength but not too stiff as to make the removal difficult. I have mastered the one-handed removal with the holster swiveled sideways. Placing it back in the holster only requires you to place the phone in the bottom of the holster first then press inward on the top of the phone until you feel two distinct clicks. When placing the phone in the holster you must take care to make sure the spring clip reaches all the way across the top of the phone. It will try to catch in the middle if you stop before you feel the second click. I might add, that even if you do this, the phone will still be secured but care needs to be exercised until you get used to the feel. The belt clip is great and fits man sized belts not just a little dress belt, which I really like. It has a little “lip” at the bottom which hooks under the belt and prevents it from slipping off. The belt clip rotates and has distinct notches which hold it in the desired position. I wore it around the horse show today and the holster did not even come close to working off my belt. The phone faces inward, as all clips should, and is solidly secured by the holster. The keyboard does not touch the back of the holster but it does have a felt lining to project the screen in case it comes in contact accidentally. I do not keep the keyboard locked and have had no troubles with the light staying on and running the battery down. This is the holster for a skinned Q. I will probably fit a Q with a silicon skin as well as the Seidio case reviewed above. I would assume if you buy the holster for the naked Q it would function equally well. One thing to note is that the phone cannot be charged while in the holster. The port is visible and has a cutout available however because of the thickness of the holster; it will not accept the charging plug. This may not be a big deal as the phone is very easy to remove from the holster for charging.

OVERALL RATING: Overall I give the case an A and the holster an A+. The only thing I think could be improved about the case is maybe make it slightly larger so the clips secure more easily and the “slack” could be taken up with a soft lining. To give Seidio credit, they have tried to make case as form fitting as possible to keep the profile as close to the same as the naked phone. They have done a good job at that task. There is not much I would do differently to the holster with the possible exception of allowing the phone to be charged while in the holster.

I will not comment on the price, I will leave that up to you. If the case does what you want then price is relative. The combo is $49.95 from www.seidioonline.com.
  2. Succorso

Succorso New Member

Can you tell me the model number or a link to the case/holster on this site? Thanks.
  3. burkc

burkc New Member

4. Succorso

Succorso New Member

Looks nice but 50 beans seems a little pricey. Might have to get another speck case.

Thanks.
  5. bfar03

bfar03 New Member

I posted before regarding this case. After a replacement case, my new one finally fit. That was 6 months ago. Now, after 3 broken tongues, my case is held together by black electric tape.

The tongues are cheap and break very easily. This wouldn't be a problem if you never had to take off the case, but we all know with the Q, you occasionally have to do a hard reset.

The problem is that the holster is really great, but the holster will only work with the Seidio case. Looks like I'm stuck with my black tape...
  6. burkc

burkc New Member

I am only speaking from my personal experience, I am sorry that yours didn't work out as well as mine did. I was told that this holster would work with any of the silicon cases also.

BurkC
  7. triz313

triz313 New Member

the point my buddy made was a prominent fact about this piece; it makes hard resets a chore at the least. A battery slot would do nicely. Im guessing the original post author is either new to the Q or doesn't use his phone enough to know the annoying frequency in which hard resets are needed.
  8. seidioseidio

seidioseidio New Member

Bfar,

I'm sorry you've had problems with your case. Please email your contact info and original order number to forum@seidio.com and I'll make sure you get you a replacement.

Thanks
  9. MattB

MattB New Member

I have the regular sedio holster for my Q and i love it, but the swivel clip broke. I actually bought it from the EQ store. I called sedio and they said all i needed to do was show a receipt from within 6 months, and they would send me a replacement. Well I sent the receipt and never heard back. Now the 6 months is up and I have a $30 case with a broken swivel clip.
  10. kcsport

kcsport New Member

I have one question on the seidio case and holster. Right now I have a Bodyglove case with removeable clip. It kinda hangs off you and looks bad plus sticks out very far. Does this one sit closer to your side?
  11. burkc

burkc New Member

Absolutely, It is very slim and fits close to your belt and/or pants
  12. kcsport

kcsport New Member

Was the screen protector you used from Seidio or another brand? The reason I ask is I want to make sure I will not have a fitment issue due to the screen protector. Thanks!
  13. burkc

burkc New Member

I used another brand of screen protector. They are so thin that I don't beleive any of them would cause and issue
  14. kcsport

kcsport New Member

Thanks for your help! I placed an order for the case holster combo, screen protector, and the 1250mah batt. Will be here thursday. I just hope the case will go on Unsure
  15. seidioseidio

seidioseidio New Member

MattB,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your holster and even more that we didn't finalize your replacement. Please email you contact and order information to forum@seidio.com and I'll make sure you're taken care of.

Thanks,
  16. MattB

MattB New Member

Hey Seidioseidio I just forwarded my original receipt from EQ store to that email address. Thank you for helping out.
  17. kcsport

kcsport New Member

Looks like it will be a little longerbefore I Get my items from Seidio. Fedex tracking says the box is sittting at my front door, but its no where to be found. Looks like I'll be going the Fedex claim route.:frown: