secret process causing battery drain

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by bigtimegames, Jul 3, 2006.

1. inf3st

inf3st New Member

The Q actually stops itself from charging after it is fully charged. This save the battery. Because it stops itself from charging you can leave it charging overnight. It stops at 100% then once it drains to like 80% or something like that. It will start charging again.
  2. nacnack

nacnack New Member

I've had mine for approximately 4 days now and have the extended battery also. I understand the fact that I drained it the first few days sending 100+ emails trying to set up Wireless sync Grrrrrrrrrrrr :) but have since just use it randomly and the battery is still dying in about 6-8 hours. One of the problems I think is the holster, it is an awesome holster that comes with the unit but after locking the keys and going about my business i notice that any slight movement with the phone on my hip turns the display on. I feel this significantly contributes to the battery kill. Maybe they should of cover the keyboard on this model somehow to prevent them from getting touched till you need them?

Also my signal sucks also, NOT MY SIGNAL AREA, but the phone strength. I took out my old 815 and had them powered side by side and only had 1 bar on my Q and 4 on my 815. Then with any movement in the room the Q goes to 1x mode and back to EV with one bar (Another Grrrrrrrrr). bottom line, i think the internal antenna is lack luster and may contribute to battery kill. I still have 8 days to try this phone before taking it back but I love the features and the speakerphone is amazing. I did the latest software install from Moto.com and is hasn't helped the battery one bit. I'll keep reading this site and playing with the phone and see if i can figure a way to keep the battery running longer.

Sorry so long..
  3. scottjb

scottjb New Member

My house is in a weak signal area and I can tell you if it switches between 1X and Ev, the battery will die quickly. I think that's your problem.
  4. nacnack

nacnack New Member

Well I fully charged my phone last night, turned off the BT and kept Wirelesssync active and killed all other programs. I had no phone calls last night and left the phone off the charger just to see what would happen. By this morning my phone was dead (With extended battery/approx 10+ hours). Well, I already sent off for my rebate so I'm screwed when it comes to taking this back now, so it looks like I'll have to carry an extra battery with me.
    There has got to be a cure for this ailment. I've installed the latest OS so no go on the any help from that. Other then the battery I love the phone; but lets face it, with poor battery life the phone is useless.
  5. KLOIN

KLOIN New Member

shutting down programs to extend battery life to 2 days

You need to shut down the programs that are running in the background.e.
    use the follwoing steps once an hour, or more often to shut them down:
    START>
    SETTINGS>
    SYSTEM TOOLS>
    TASK MANAGER>
    MENU>
    CURSOR DOWN TO KILL ALL OR KILL ALL EXCEPT SELECTED AND THEN HIT
    THE ENTER OR SLECTECT CENTER KEY
    If you want the best power and program claning management just buy Battery Pack Pro from omegaone.com. You can put a program bar at the top of you desktop and select the 12 most common features you use to have locked there for you to use...
    I can use my phoe for more than a day with over an hour of calls using the extended life battery..
    Try it you'll love the phone after that..
    Merry Chistmas
  6. inf3st

inf3st New Member

make sure you all have the mol2 update. it will help with a lot of the short battery life issues.
  7. nacnack

nacnack New Member

Yes, I have the MOL2 update installed, which BTW didn't make a bit a difference. I took the extended battery out and put the standard one back in and I'm getting more time, So I'm going back to Verizon to get my extended battery replaced. I've come to the conclusion that after reading all the postings, updates and my personal experance that this phone just isnt going to have the battery power necessary to go through a complete day of usage. So if I keep it I'll have to carry a spare.

Ya know what would be cool, if there was a program that would automatically kill programs on a scheduled basis that you select to keep you from manually having to do so.
    Moto will need to come out with an additional patch to improve the problem.
  8. pyrobling

pyrobling New Member

I am really sorry to tell you all this but the guy at the beginning that told you to drain your batteries just screwed you all.

If you are familiar with the batteries...then you will notice that the standard battery is 3.7V Litium Ion Battery @ 1130 mAh and the extended is 3.7V Litium Ion Battery @ 1640 mAh.

Now if we go back to the batteries 101 course and compare this with NiCad battry and Li-Polymer we see obvious pros/cons.

The biggest pro though is NO MEMORY AND MORE EFFICIENCY.

YOU NEVER WANT TO FULLY DISCHARGE A LI-ION BATTERY BECAUSE YOU RUIN THE BATTERY ONCE IT DROPS BELOW A CERTAIN LEVEL BECAUSE YOU CORRUPT IT EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE NO MEMORY. CORRUPTED PHYSICALLY=LESS BATTERY LEVEL I.E. 10 HOURS NOW INSTEAD OF 16 LIKE YOU HAD BEFORE.

The VZW rep was wrong and didn't know what he was talking about. The Q will turn charger off.

Feel free to varify all this if you want...i already provided you the link. 1 in 4 of my customers @ VZW ask about this constantly so I am explaining it to them EVERYDAY.

http://www.answers.com/topic/lithium-ion-battery

-Adam @ VZW
  9. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I can get a couple of days out of mine(3 to 4 depending on my usage). If not more. Do what i did. Just keep taking them back until you get one that works corectly.
  10. nacnack

nacnack New Member

Adam, your absolutely right, I forgot battery 101 but have since took my extended battery back and got a replacement. Now I'm getting better battery life on this new battery and WILL NOT completely discharge it like I did my last. Good point and info!
  11. jnmobley

jnmobley New Member

This may have nothing to do with your problem but I have noticed that playing the Bubble Breaker game that came with the Q really eats the battery up for some reason.
  12. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Stop playing after 10 hours. :tounge:
  13. joshuabrand

joshuabrand New Member

I know this is my first post on this board, but let me assure you I am no noob to phone and battery performance.

But anyway, I'm having the battery drain problem too. I really think the problem is that the packet data connection still runs even when you're not using a program that is accessing the internet. If I run anything that connects to the internet, the signal bars in the upper right hand corner still show the arrows that indicated a packet data connection. This doesn't go away until I make a phone call or reboot the device.

Verizon tells me that there's a third software release available only in store, I'm going in tomorrow to get it and see if it does anything. I just wonder why it wasn't on my Black Q, considering I just got it Thursday.
  14. joshuabrand

joshuabrand New Member

Well, apparently that CSR didn't know what he was talking about, MOL2 is the most recent update and there's nothing more current, as I found out when I went into the store. They gave me another battery to try - I'll run a battery drain test while sleeping tonight to see if it's a battery problem.

Another tech on the phone today had me do a hard reset to clear off all my programs. He thought there was a possibility that one of my programs was hanging onto the data connection and could be draining the battery.

He said that I definitely should not be running out of battery overnight with non-useage though. He said I should easily get through a day, if not come close to standby/talk times similar to what the Q is rated for. He said they'd send me a new device if the phone drains again overnight with the new battery.

But even after the hard reset, I see the phone hanging onto the data connection. We'll see what happens.
  15. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Here are the things a noob should know.

Data is only transmitted when the pda icon is displayed on the home screen. The data connection indication has no more bearing on battery usage than the phone being connected to the voice network.

The third firmware update is for the silver Q to bring it up to the black firmware. There is no update for the black Q that anyone here has heard of.

Look in other areas for battery woes. There are many posts here on the subject.
  16. won4jesus

won4jesus New Member

Do you have SmartTweaker installed? I've found that if you activate #40 SMS - Received Indication that the Q locks up and drains your battery.
  17. ppipowerclass

ppipowerclass New Member

thats what i did with mine also, and i was still having huge battery problems. So i went to verizon and asked them what was up, they didnt know. So i returned it, and i am waiting for the black Q in the mail now, and im getting the extended battery now also. :)
  18. jnmobley

jnmobley New Member

I am on my 4th Q. With the first 2 I had great battery life but with the 3rd my battery life was like the others are describing. I kept going back to Verizon and the tech replaced the battery 3 times and kept telling me that Q's are notorious for poor battery life. I kept complaining until they gave me the 4th Q. No more problems. It seems as if the problem is with individual phones and you need to keep complaining until you get one that works right.
  19. SpiritOfTwoThousand

SpiritOfTwoThousand New Member

With the MOL2 update, what does your phone read in the about section (I think its the about section, whereever it tells you what version you have as well as the PRL and all that) as far as version goes? Thanks!
  20. Fox

Fox New Member

[FONT=&quot]Q2-BP_C_06.0B.0BP[/FONT]