secret process causing battery drain

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by bigtimegames, Jul 3, 2006.

1. bigtimegames

bigtimegames New Member

secret process causing battery drain

anyone notice suspicious battery drain?

i've noticed on one day I can play mp3's for 30 min, surf the web, do messaging, make a few calls, and my battery lives on for the full day (16 hours) without an issue.

on two other occasions i BARELY used the phone, maybe 5min of total talk + internet time, and the battery was dead in 10 hours.

i'm thinking some rogue process was running in the background. unfortunately there isn't a great way to see whats running and switch to them and kill them off.

anyone have this and what do you do?
  2. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

The longer I own and use the Q, the longer my battery seems to last. The first few days off the initial charge, I really got less than stellar battery life. I am now almost 2 weeks into my Q ownership, and battery life seems significantly longer.

Regarding the hidden process issue, I'll bet, I'll just bet that the phone is constantly polling the network checking for email, calendar, contact updates etc. depending on what type of synchronization one is using.. The little Q is struggling to hang on to EVDO and retrieve significant amounts of data for a device this size over the air...

Ever notice your Q gets pretty warm, almost hot? Mine does..

B
  3. bigtimegames

bigtimegames New Member

Well it gets warm, but not hot. I keep it in my pocket most of the day and it hasn't been noticeable.

The battery thing is odd.. I wind up looking at the tasklist and killing off procs once in a while.
  4. menuserve.com

menuserve.com New Member

This is the world of advanced lithium batteries... they have to be whats called "conditioned"

All of these Q batteries will get better with prolonged use... the best way to condition it right out of the box is to....

1. Charge the phone until FULLY charged
    2. Use phone until it dies 100%
    3. Charge phone until FULLY charged...

begin use as normal. Its the same story with Apple computers new line of macbook and macbook pros. Same type of battery that needs to be conditioned and trained.
  5. bigtimegames

bigtimegames New Member

Thanks for the conditioning tips, but this is a real bug/issue.

Every few days my Q is dead after less than 12 hours of very light use. It could be the constant activesync/pushes but really.. it is hard to figure it out. Its quite annoying as well to suddenly have 0 battery when I had no idea.

No one else has noticed this?

The only things I use are.. activesync for gmail, hotmail, occasionally msn messenger, text messaging, and IE.
  6. bmwbig6

bmwbig6 New Member

Do you have full strength signal bars all day? Or is your phone constantly seeking for a signal? I have poor reception where I spend most of my time, sometimes no signal at all, and I think this signal-seeking accelerates the battery drain.
  7. sovell

sovell New Member

I had the same issue...Some days no battery problem. The next charges for 8 hours during the night and is dead 9 hours later with next to no use.
  8. Bishop

Bishop New Member

I noticed when I enter task manager that several programs are running in the background. Every once in a while I go in and "kill all". I also turned off blue tooth. I think i have seen a good improvement
  9. atoner

atoner New Member

I definitely have an intermittent battery drain problem. I charge the phone every night with the wall charger for ~12 hours. Some days (like today) I use 1-2 bars between 8 in the morning and 8 at night. Other days (like yestarday) the phone is totally drained by the afternoon. Yesterday it shut off around 2 p.m. Today, the detailed battery monitor still shows an almost full charge.

Every morning it says the charge is complete and has a full battery meter.

I have Verizon Wireless Sync setup with push and have used the same settings for weeks. Every day I get around 100 e-mails. Push is setup to truncate to 2000 characters and not incldue attachments.

The first week I had the phone, I used the internet a lot and could understand draining the battery after a couple hours. Lately, I'm just doing e-mail push and very little internet or talk.

The other cool thing about the batter running down yesterday was that my car charger interfered with my FM radio. Also, my contacts kept freezing up with the low battery.
  10. bpatt

bpatt New Member

Questions: Regular or extended battery? Beam and/or Bluetooth enabled or disabled? Do you lock the keyboard in between usage, which shuts off the screen? Do you have a mini-SD card installed, and if so, what do you use it for?

And, lastly, did you do this?
  11. bigtimegames

bigtimegames New Member

> Questions: Regular or extended battery? Beam and/or Bluetooth enabled or
    > disabled? Do you lock the keyboard in between usage, which shuts off the
    > screen? Do you have a mini-SD card installed, and if so, what do you use it
    > for?

Due to this issue, and given the ext batteries were on sale, I am using the ext now. I always lock keyboard. I wish there was a faster shortcut than Home->c to lock.

I also shut off bluetooth (not sure about beam, do you disable that too?)

I do have a 1gb Sandisk card which is for my mp3's and camera destination.

I've been regularly doing a 'kill-all' and it seems to be preventing the leakage. I should try not doing that for a few days to see if the 1/2 dead battery issue remains.

My battery must be really conditioned by now given its died completely and I had to fully recharge it many times...
  12. atoner

atoner New Member

Regular battery
    Beam and BT disabled
    Keyboard always locked when not in use
    No mini-SD card
    Yep, I've had no difficulty getting the phone to run the battery all the way down!
  13. bpatt

bpatt New Member

I wish some of the battery utilities that I've seen were part of the OS. $10-20 for this option doesn't seem quite right - but on the other hand, little visibility into battery state and runtime remaining makes troubleshooting this challenging.

The other thing I'm wondering about is if there might be a bad batch of batteries out for the Q, as opposed to bad Q's.

Anybody know if the Q regular battery is used in any other Moto devices, or is it unique to the Q?
  14. atoner

atoner New Member

My problem doesn't seem like a bad battery, but perhaps an intermittent process or setting as the thread title suggests. On a "good" day, the battery is about what I'd expect for a phone like this. I'd still need to recharge every day, but that's OK. On a "bad" day, perhaps when some rogue process is running or something gets latched on, I'm lucky to get 6 hours.

I suspected an incomplete charge, but the battery meter does show a full charge every morning.
  15. Dayspring

Dayspring New Member

I noticed the same thing. Then I found that my mini SD card was corrupted in some way and when I removed it, and operated the Q with out the card, it lasted about twice as long. Don't really know why though. Has anyone else experienced this?
  16. swagner

swagner New Member

After a few weeks now, I believe it is all about signal. I went a good few days with great battery life. Push email, Some calls, Some use.

then I spent a day in an area with very poor coverage and wham! 7PM and the battery was dead. There was no other change in use.
  17. nvanlaar

nvanlaar New Member

Anti-virus?

Do you have an anti-virus program? I believe some are always running in the background. Some even have scheduled full system scans. Just a thought.
  18. ishore

ishore New Member

Do not Charge over

A Verizon tech has told me not to charge over night. He said that after 3 hours to remove it from the charger. Then I bought a desktop and Phone Support told me he has one and leaves it in all night with no problem.

Anyone have a comment on either of the above?
  19. mfpreach

mfpreach New Member

I've had that multiple times also.
    Right before I noticed that the Q is pretty hot, as though it had been talked on for an hour. Then i notice that the battery is dead.
    This happens randomly.
  20. inf3st

inf3st New Member

There is a faster way. Tap home then spacebar. There is also a keylock application in the free downloads section.