Searching calendar entries

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by wgk, Jul 16, 2006.

1. wgk

wgk New Member

Searching calendar entries

I'm new to Q and Smartphone WM 5. I've used Palms in the past and I have a question regarding the searching of calendar entries. Can this be done with std. software? It seems like it can't, which is a shame on MS part as without that feature their calendar loses half of its usefulness. :shocked: I seems like one has to but the extra programs that have that feature. I've tried the demo version of Xtreme agenda and while it would find the text strings entered, once highlighted and selected it doesnt fully go to that entry - to find the date of the entry in question you have to go to edit mode, otherwise it just displays the right entry but with whatever date you just recently looked at in the calendar. That's not very good either. Plus, the graphics of the Xtreme is quite poor, small fonts, icons. Almost MS DOS like.
  2. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

Thanks, Ill fix this in the next release of eXtreme Agenda...

This is quite subjective and not the popular opinion thankfully. But at least your honest in what you think.. Not sure where you think the fonts are small(that arent required to be for formatting) but if there are some that need it I will gladly enlarge them(they use the standard cleartype text so, not really DOS like in font). This is in fact sharing code with all other Windows Mobile Smartphone's and the standard screen for WM SP is much smaller, so it is possible a few things could be optimized for the Q's screen yet(though a lot already has)... The icons are in fact small but on purpose to facilitate showing more icons on the month view at one time and were professionally designed....(but we will gladly add other 8x8 icons as choices :) ).

Thanks again, we will update the above problem this week..
  3. wgk

wgk New Member

some additional comments on Xtreme, Papyrus, and "out of the box" WM5 PDA

Thanks for your reply, I noticed your presence (as the developer of the Xtreme) on this forum yesterday and thought you might comment on some of those issues. As I said, I've been using (not an "addict" user but nevertheless somewhat hooked up) Palm PDAs and while they have other problems (I guess, especially if you want to really overload them with additional software the stability becomes an issue...), I can see that they are great PDAs pretty much out of the box, the Moto Q as it ships is no match for the Palm PDA features. Somehow, I ended up with Moto Q (everybody says that it is a great phone and in a phone-PDA combination it must be one of the top priorities. Anyway, it was just great with Palm to be able to search pretty much the entire content of the device for a particular text string (even the Word or Excel documents were searcheble through the search tool, I'm missing that a lot in WM5 and Q and your program, so far is the only one that can do at least some search (calendar, contacts, tasks). It's just beyond my comprehension thatMS didn't include some search capabilities, afre all, they are included in Outlook. I just tried Papyrus and I think I like its graphice better than Xtreme (but, you're right, here we're entering some personal preferences). They also have scaleable fonts. What neither Xttreme nor Papyrus has is "go to today" in calendar. that's a nuisance to me as I wouldn't like to type todays date each time I nedd to go back to today. Out of the box software has that feature.
  4. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

In both applications you can press '2' to go to today.

Thanks!
  5. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

We have addressed the problem you listed above and added some other features and enhancements in Verison 1.52 released today...

Thanks again....
  6. bpatt

bpatt New Member

7. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

Im not sure what that means, but in theory you are supposed to be able to just make sure you have the application closed, and then run the new install and it will install over top of the existing application and all the settings and registration will be just fine..... Its the same installation we have used for
    years on the Pocket PC and other smartphone products, and it seemed to work fine...

I have heard a few people seem to have trouble with updates on the Q, but I believe a soft reset and/or removing the applications program directory was what I had heard people did in these cases and got it to work fine.

Brian
    Birdsoft
  8. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

This just basically means if Updates/patches come every month, are they going to be minimal KB upgrades, or are they going to be (Forklift Reference) Large KB Files.
  9. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

ahhh... I see.. If this is referencing bandwidth used, then right now, it has to be the full CAB file for over the air... Which is about ~130KB right now and for the foreseeable future. The bulk of that being the executable file so there is no real trimming that can be done, unless I really want to mess up the integrity of the code..... Maybe in the future I will move more code to utility dlls to shrink the main application, but that will not be in the near future.. Too many features still on the to do list....
  10. wgk

wgk New Member

Thanks for the info. I guess both programs have some read me files which obviously I haven't read yet to get those type of details. Speaking of small improvements, are you considering providing the option of starting the week on Monday? Those old European habits never die for some people, including myself.
  11. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Member

I believe it already has that option... If not Iit will...