Searched the forum..don't see the hack I need

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by kalina, Jun 30, 2008.

1. kalina

kalina New Member

Searched the forum..don't see the hack I need

I would like to change where my Q looks to find all of my home screen info to my storage card. The hacks that are provided, just changes the home screent that is set to appear at that time.

I want to change where the Home screen menu goes to look for the home screen information. At the present, it defaults to the windows folder and creates a list from what is there. I would like to change the defualt to a folder on my storage card.

**I have found that the least amout of extra crap on the Q itself makes it run a H$ll of a lot smoother** Which I'm sure everyone must know by now.

Who has the supreme answer? And no, the hack already listed is not the one, I've tried it and it only changes the home screen that os being viewed, not where the list is acquired from. Thanks!!!

I thought I saw one last year, but I may have been mistaken.

Thanks ever so much!!! :wink:
  2. promega

promega Guest

not the clearist question, what info???????

what do you mean home screen information? Are you asking how do you change what the home screen lists? Cuss they are just shortcuts files (.lnk) placed widnows\start menu. The question is do you want to add new programs to the start menu or change the directory the .lnk shortcut file points too?

I cannot fathum what u are asking about the homescreen, i can only guess you are talking about the startup menu....
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i believe the op is asking to change the homescreen directory from \application data\home to something else

you can move the files to the rot directory of your sd card but you would have to redo all the xml files to point to this loaction for all images

this would be the same for ANY directory you would move them to.. the files are so small you need not worry about movng them...its just extra work

-Sent from my Q9c
  4. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

thats the background not the homescreen as he is saying..... maybe you need to do some research
  5. n99hockey

so then why couldnt YOU answer the question?

what if those homescreens require images in other folders such as facade screens?

and yes i have mp3 ringers in the root directory of my sd card as i have mentioned many times to many members

-Sent from my Q9c
  6. promega

promega Guest

no shit,

pictures need to go into the storage card/ dir, .lnk files can be copied to the startmenu/ dir to add progs that are not currently listed... can easly edit a allready made .lnk with total comander....
  7. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

i dont think you understand homescrens theres a xml file where points where the pictures are for the home screen so if you move the picture to the homescreen and the xml is ooking for the file in /application data/homescreen your gonna have to edit the xml to look for the pictures in /storage card
  8. promega

promega Guest

and i dont think this is her qestion

i am pretty sure she wants to change the short cuts in startmenu....not pics for the homescreen../.,,.
  9. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

omg hes not talking about using a background........ hes talking about every picture like for example if you downlad the myphone theme ... theres like 50 pictures in those folders so then what is he suppose to do move all pics to the storage card and just pick 1 of 50... again hes not talkin about changing the back ground ... if he was talking about changing the background then you could just go to settings homescreen background image ....
  10. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

people, she wants to move stuff like icons, images..etc that are used on the home screen. the background can be done by finding the image using your picture viewer, hit edit/set as background. they can be any place on your phone. No need to edit the xml for a background.
  11. promega

promega Guest

this guys knows what he is talking about

yeah she is asking about the shortcuts, not the background....
  12. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

she never said anything about a background she said how can i change where my phone looks for all my homescreen info ... theres usually more than 1 image unless she is using a simle homescreen
  13. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

why don't we just wait for kalina to return to the forum and she can answer. don't see anymention of a start menu in the original post.

14. Hey a coherent sentence. Nice job.
  15. kalina

kalina New Member

OK..Let's stop assuming....

Let me clarify my request.

I want to change the registry to look for all of my homescreen infromation on my storage card, so that the folder contained in the settings folder (ie from the start menu, find the settings folder, option D) reflects what is on the card.

I.E.:
    When opening that option, I would like all of the listings on that page (layout, color scheme, and Back ground image lists) to search for the items that are located in a particular folder on my storage card.

When you are in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROLPANEL\HOME\VALUES\

- only relocates the current information that is displayed at that time not where the entire progam looks for the information for the list in the Settings folder.

I don't want to move my new *.xml and *.jpg files to my \WINDOWS folder to save space on my Q.

I like to change my homescreen atleast once a week, or so. I'm just looking for a more convient way to change things.

The "set as background screen" is easy. That's not what I want to do. I want to switch easily between schemes and have them all located in a central place.

Is this easier to understand and did I use the correct terms?

I thought there was a HACK for that at one time, but I don't remember how to do it.
  16. kalina

kalina New Member

Not a NUBIE!!! And stop assuming you know what I'm talking about when it seems as if you are chasing your tail and talking about something completely off the topic. I know how to add things to the start menu...EASY...That has nothing to do with a HACK...
    and who needs a shortcut to the the homescreen menu in the start menu if you can easily go to the settings folder.

17. kalina

kalina New Member

Why are there so many arguments in these forums? Where are all the hot heads coming from? Does everyone think they are a genus and that they know everything? They argue, yet...they didn't answer my question.

Hmmmmmmmm...makes me wonder.

18. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

do what n99 said you have to edit the xml to point to find the files in your storage card
  19. n99hockey

am i being scolded?
  20. dafoxs

dafoxs New Member

are you changing the same homescreen once a week? or changing to a diiferent screen once a week?