Save text messages to my PC

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by Popkiltr, Apr 25, 2007.

1. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

ahhh...does myphone export to a word or txt file? never did try it!
  2. fusion1

fusion1 Member

I thought I remember dashwire being basically like a photobucket account only for text, ie. online storage of your private texts. Definitely not a solution I would trust if this is the case.
  3. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

never tired it either as i use Jeyo Mobile Extender in Outlook for texts

dashwire holds alot of info
    texts
    contacts
    photos
    videos
    favorites
    and a few other things
    and you just install there app and sync your info over and its there
    although if you delete on the phone and then resync im not sure what would happen...if they would come back on the phone or not...

honestly if you want a good product that works buy the jeyo product after your trial
    jeyo mobile companion
  4. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Trying PowerSMS now. I like that you can save the texts as a .csv file. Problem I see with the Jeyco is that once you disconnect your phone and reconnect it syncs the folders again. Seems like it isn't saving the texts at all, just like it is loading it into RAM but is volatile and is gone once you disconnect. Unless the trial version is different, I don't see this as being a solution for me. The other options were cool though being able to change home screen from the PC and arrange sounds on the phone.
  5. n99hockey

forgot this one
    its not free either

no its saves to pc
    it syncs again why you reconnect because it is looking for new texts and will do so everytime you sync and its running
  6. fusion1

fusion1 Member

How is it saving to the PC? I just tried with the deleted folder. There were 34 texts. I disconnected my phone, emptied the deleted folder expecting it to still see these on the companion software. It resynced and the folder was empty. Where does companion save the texts on the computer?

Glad I tested this theory on a deleted items folder and not the main SENT Text folder where I have 6100 texts I want saved. I would have been very pissed had this been totally wiped out hoping Jenco somehow saved it somewhere which I am not convinced it is doing so.

Power SMS
    saved my sent and incoming texts as a backup Power SMS file and a .csv file. I am installing Open Office now to see how well it imports said .csv file.
  7. n99hockey

off hand i do not know as i dont run it anymore on my computers
    but which folder did you sync and delete? on the pc or the Q?
  8. fusion1

fusion1 Member

The "Deleted Texts" folder. The 34 texts were on the Jeyco Companion software. Then I disconnected the Q and manually deleted the items in the deleted folder, hoping the 34 texts on the companion software would still be saved on the PC. Once I re-synced the "deleted texts" folder on Jeyco was empty. Where would I find the 34 texts that were there prior to me disconnecting the Q? This is why I am assuming Jeyco isn't saving texts at all.
  9. n99hockey

again i dont have the software on my PC so i cant test it for you

but it sounds like they arent there because you deleted them so how could they sync? unless i am not understanding which you are talking about
    you sync the deleted folder from the Q to jeyo...then deleted the texts from the ??? (Q/PC)
    is there an export option? i feel like there is...
    maybe someone can understand but i think you are switching devices and not identifying which you are talking about at the time...
  10. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Yeah I think we are getting wires crossed explaining the situation. If there is an export feature I haven't found it. I see a "copy to" feature in Jeyo but that just copies contents of a folder to another folder within Jeyo software.

I was testing the Jeyo Companion software with the deleted folder as it had texts I didn't care about if the Jeyo didn't save them. Apparently it didn't save them, and I don't see how it saves them. It syncs and displays the texts but I don't see a way you can save the texts on the PC, then wipe the texts from the phone and still have access to the texts on the PC. Hope this is a little clearer.

I guess this is sort of a moot point as the Power SMS was able to make a complete backup of the sent/received texts. Only thing is it doesn't save is the drafts or deleted folder.
  11. n99hockey

i see i see
    i installed it again but couldnt really test since my trial is very much over...there is an export option under 'file' but i couldnt test it out as i couldnt connect (no more trial) but if powersms works for you then stick with it
  12. gnath9

gnath9 New Member

I have a Q9c w/6.1
    If I go to text then folders and highlight the "sent" folder I have an option to sync.
    I just thought I would share that info ....
  13. fusion1

fusion1 Member

Scott you were correct there is an export feature in Jeyo under the File menu. Saves it as .csv which was good to be able to do that.

Seems there are bugs though as I deleted all the texts from my Q which seemed to take close to an hour a piece for the sent and inbox folders, but once I sync'ed the phone to PC, Jeyo put all my texts back on the phone in a few seconds. I was going to try doing a restore function of the drafts or deleted folders but this put all the sent and received texts back on my phone and I do not want them back on my phone.

Also that Power SMS was great but it would not save SENT messages. Every time it gets to 92 messages and then it shuts down. I tried re-installing Power SMS to the storage card as well as the Q no luck and it always shuts down at 92 messages.

Seems like alot of these apps are great but these seem buggy especially for them to want to charge money for the full versions.
  14. n99hockey

thats good

its a real shame you dont use outlook....been using mobile extender from jeyo for a year and a half without fail...
    syncs them to outlook then i delete them...sync again and they stay on the pc and dont go back to the Q
    i create folders in outlook and organize and then sync again when i have more i want to delete off the phone