SanDisk 2GB MicroSD Card with SD & MiniSD Adapters

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by flairman, Jan 7, 2008.

1. flairman

flairman New Member

SanDisk 2GB MicroSD Card with SD & MiniSD Adapters

I purchased one of these for use with Q9m. If I used the SanDisk Micro to Mini SD adapter I could never get it to work in my phone. It either did not detect the card or it would lock up the phone where nothing worked until the card was removed.

I performed 2 tests to see if it was the card. I put the card in the Micro to regular SD adapter and plugged it into 2 different digital cameras. Everything worked as expected. I then took the card and plugged it into the Micro to Mini adapter that came with Q9m. The card worked perfect.

My conclusion was the Micro to Mini adapter was hosed. I returned the card yesterday, which was purchased about a week before Christmas, and got a replacement. After messing around with the replacement it had exactly the same issues. The SanDisk Micro to Mini SD adapter was bad.

Comparing the SanDisk adapter to the one that came with my Q9m there is no comparison. The SanDisk adapter is cheaper plastic and no where near as quality a unit.

I returned the SanDisk and ended up getting a regular 2 GB Mini SD card. I bought the SanDisk to start with because it was on sale cheaper than the Mini SD card of the same capacity. I plugged the new card in the phone and it worked fine.

Maybe I got a couple of bad ones but I would suspect the adapter if you are using the San Disk one and your phone is having problems with locking up, reading the cards memory and randomly telling you the card can't be read and needs to be formatted.
  2. lil_sunshine

lil_sunshine New Member

That's very strange. My sandisk 6GB microSD card works just fine with my Sandisk adaptor. I got the 6GB card for Christmas. Before that, I was using a 2GB Sandisk card. Maybe you just got bad cards. Or that store got a bad batch.
  3. PACanesFAn

PACanesFAn New Member

I have one of these adapters for a 2GB card. No problem for my cellphone. However, the girlfriend bought one for her digital camera and it doesn't work. The camera will not detect it inside the adapter, even with formating.
  4. flairman

flairman New Member

The cards appear to be fine. It is the adapters that appear to be the problem. I had just the opposite problem as you. The micro card plugged into the regular SD adapter worked fine in 2 different digital cameras (2 different cards and 2 different adapters) however neither of them worked in the card reader that is built into my Dell printer. The micro cards plugged into the mini SD adapters did not work in my phone or my wifes phone (I have a Q9m and my wife and original Q). If I took either card and used the adapter that came with my Q9m then both phones recognized the cards and worked.

For a brief time I had one of the cards with the SanDisk adapter working in my wifes phone. The problem was it would lock up the phone sometimes when you attempted to access the card. Removing the card and everything was fine. Other times instead of locking up the phone it would display a message saying the card needed to be formatted.

In the end I returned everything and bought miniSD cards and used them. The SanDisk micro card with adapters was on sale for $18 and the regular miniSD card was $22.

But I have to be fair, I have been using SanDisk SD cards in one of digital cameras and my camcorder with no problems. I have been using SanDisk Ultra CF cards in my digital SLR with no problems and I have a SanDisk card reader that has always worked. This is the first time I have had issues with a SanDisk product.