Samsung Focus vs Nokia Lumia 710?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by zaidthunder1, Feb 1, 2012.

1. zaidthunder1

zaidthunder1 New Member

I'm considering one of these two phones as my next mobile. I know they are both windows phone devices but i've used android and I don't like the UI much. I feel the WP7 UI is pretty cool.
    I now have to make a decision to make between the Nokia and the Samsung phones. Samsung has a Super AMOLED screen but Nokia has it's ClearBlack display with Gorilla glass at a better PPI, so I feel that's quite good too. Another plus point for the Nokia is 1.4 ghz processor. I like the white color of the Lumia 710 too. But one very big let down is the 8 GB internal memory. I really hog on memory space with apps and games which I love to download from the Marketplace, and I'm not sure it'l be enough. I have approx. 16 hours of music on my phone. I doubt I'l have many videos on the phone though I might record a few. If the Lumia had a card slot i would have undoubtedly gone for it. But I want to ask WP7 users if 8 GB of internal memory will be enough for my new phone. Please give reasons as well. Also is there noticeable difference between the Focus's 1 ghz processor and the Lumia's 1.4 ghz processor?
    Also I'm worried that the jailbreak for the Nokia WP7 handsets haven't come out yet. (I'm not sure.). Also I prefer a larger screen although the 3.7" screen won't be any deal breaker for me. Any important limitations of either of the devices?
    I don't think there many other differences other than these.
    I have found the Focus to be around 1500 INR (30$) more cheaper than the Lumia 710.

Also tell me about SkyDrive and if it will be of any use in my case, seeing that most of my data will be apps/games, music and few videos. My use of Microsoft office will be limited.
  2. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

8 GB on any device claims to hold about 2000 songs, in reality with typical compressions and file sizes that comes down to about 1800-1900 songs. Remember due to formatting and OS memory the advertised 8 GB also ends up being about 7.6 GB actually available to you. Just see how many songs you could be loading on the device exactly then go from there. I have the original Samsung Focus device and it holds the music I need perfectly fine, I never even bothered adding a memory card, it seemed to be too much of a hassle and those 'certified' Windows Phone memory cards never really happened.

I haven't gotten my hands on anything faster than the Samsung Focus so I can't really answer you here truthfully. I will say one thing, I do a lot on my Samsung Focus and processing speed has never been an issue. 1 GHz is good but obviously 1.4 GHz is even better, that's for sure.

Don't worry about jailbreaking...if you want access to your device files become a developer or check out what they are working on at xda developers. The official unlock tool is shut down at the moment, for whatever reason Microsoft may have. Hopefully they open it up again soon enough with support for all the new devices releasing.

No limitations for me using the Samsung Focus, the screen is a perfect size for me and definitely a huge difference coming from the tiny iPhone screen (which I complained about even when I wasn't looking to switch phones). If I were you however, you are getting what you pay for, I would go for the Lumia 710.

You can definitely use SkyDrive to host your music and video files (and more), and still have access to them whenever, wherever, on any Windows Phone you use. SkyDrive is becoming very useful as more power and capability is added to it. You can stream music and video right from SkyDrive to your Windows Phone at the moment. It's awesome.
  3. Fleon

Fleon New Member

If you mean the original Focus, then definitely go with the 710. If you mean the newer Focus S, then up to you.

Assuming you mean the original Focus, the 710 is faster, smoother, and has better battery life due to hardware differences and WP7.5 being tweaked a bit for the 2nd gen hardware.