Samsung Focus Touchscreen Issues

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by Junk, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Junk

Junk New Member

Is anyone else having problems with the touchscreen on the Samsung Focus? This doesnt happen all the time and it only happens when I lie the phone down flat and try to use the touchscreen. It seems to lose sensitivity and eventually stops working. I am unable to scroll up and down on the home screen but can still select an item. If I pickup the phone it works fine. I dont get it. The same thing happens to my wifes' Focus.
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Kinda, sorta. If my Focus is in the drink holder in my car, sometimes the swipe up won't work if my finger is angled. I have to almost grab the focus and swipe to unlock.

BTW, welcome to eWM!
  3. A person

A person New Member

Very bizarre. I dont have this problem. Try it on surfaces that might not serve as an insulator.
  4. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

5. Junk

Junk New Member

Wow, that video is exactly my problem. Is this something that I should worry about? It seems like it must be a hardware design problem. Does this only happen with the Focus? Maybe I should think about returning these phones.
  6. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I read in a couple other Forums that some experience it, some don't. Also, there are a couple of Android phones that exhibit the same behavior.
    I am no expert, but it doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.
  7. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

It's not that big of a deal, I didn't even know about the issue until I saw that article, then I tested it on my couch. Just don't lay it down on a soft surface..
  8. termleech

termleech Member

I have the exact same problem and I thought I was crazy. However mine seems to happen if I set it down on any type of surface (soft or otherwise). If I'm trying to swipe up and down while it's laying on my kitchen table most times it doesn't detect the swipe but instead thinks I'm clicking. It's quite annoying.
  9. pinoyken

pinoyken New Member

I guess I receieved a good Focus then, because mine has no problem at all while laying it on a soft surface (and I even have a screen protector installed on it.)
    The only issue I notice is when my fingers are a bit dirty; sometimes the screen doesnt react since my thumb get "stuck" on the screen...but other than that, no issues.
  10. Despair

Despair New Member

Confirmed mine does not work well on the couch either, kind of funny as I hadn't even noticed it but decided to try after watching that video!
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I have read that this issue is not limited to the Focus, but can affect all touchscreen type phones. Laying them on a flat surface or more importantly on a soft flat surface can affect the sensitivity. I have not found an explanation on why it does.
  12. Phyo Thu Aung

Phyo Thu Aung New Member

I think I know the reason behind this... IMO, it is not related to the static electricity or electricity of any kind of that matter... It might be because of the flex that the screen recorded when u put it on a soft surface. When you first touch the screen, it would activate the touch and that force would push the phone back a little bit. Since Soft surface doesn't provide support, it would give back just a tiny bit. Although your hand is still touching the screen, the screen registered it as if you just tapped. which is why a touch is registered instead of a swipe...
    So... the screen is actually being overly sensitive rather than losing sensitivity... i guess...
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That sounds like it would be true for a resistive type screen, which is made from hard plastic of sorts and relies on the screen flexing to determine commands. But as I understand it, most modern phones are capacitve type screens, which is made from glass and does not flex.
  14. psycmeistr

psycmeistr New Member

I have similar difficulties at times when it is laying flat on the hard surface of my desk. Additionally, I notice that sometimes when my focus plugged in and charging, it won't even swipe and it hangs up, and I have to unplug the unit from the USB, turn it off, and then turn it on again before it will work once again.

On edit-- I should qualify that these are transient issues that happen occasionally, not all the time
  15. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Your issues sounds like it can be attributed to a bad USB cable. If you're not using the cable that came with the phone, try another one and see if it still surfaces.
  16. boesie

boesie New Member

I'm having this problem, but all the time. It doesn't matter where the phone is, it looks similar to the problems in the video, although more often the scrolling just stops working.
  17. Doug2

Doug2 New Member

I've not had problems with my touch screen so much as I've had problems with the 3 buttons underneath the samsung logo, the start, back, and find buttons - they seem to be non-responsive to touch. Has this happened to anyone, is there an easy fix, or should I look into it further?
  18. andylau913

andylau913 New Member

I only find the 3 bottom hardware key of mine are too sensitive.
    I don't even touch them, and they response....

one more thing, can anyone know how to change the display font?
    because the display on mine doesn't looks solid, not cleartype enough.

Thanks.
  19. summer01

summer01 New Member

I have used Samsung mobile phone for 3 years, but there's stil some problems...
    How about yours?
  20. FGDHTDF

FGDHTDF New Member

I didn't even know about the issue until I saw that article, then I tested it on my couch.