Samsung Focus showing as hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Grimholtt, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Grimholtt

Grimholtt New Member

I'm trying to figure out how to get my ebook library onto my new Samsung Focus. When I plug it in, it doesn't show up as a hard drive like most devices with storage. The only two viable ebook readers I've found so far are Copia and Freda. Copia doesn't seem to allow me to transfer my personal files to the device. I have to use Calibre for Freda but it won't work if the device doesn't show up as a hard drive.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get my .epub library on my phone?

Thanks!
  2. Jim Chapman

Jim Chapman New Member

Hi, I am the author of Freda. I've posted instructions for how to use Calibre to get books onto your phone at: http://www.turnip.demon.co.uk/jim/freda/calibre-how-to.htm .
    That method lets you move one book at a time (that is to say, once you open a book via Freda's Calibre screen, the book will be copied onto your phone, and you can continue reading the book afterwards while disconnected from Calibre).

Obviously what you really need is a way to copy, 'in bulk', the whole of your collection onto the phone. This is not something that Microsoft makes easy - because Windows Phone doesn't support the concept of a generally accessible file system (instead, each application operates in its own isolated 'sand box', with no way to see other applications' files). Microsoft would, I think, say that you should store your books 'in the cloud' so you can download them whenever you want. I'm personally not convinced ... and I will be developing some sort of mechanism to bulk copy a whole load of book files from your PC onto your phone (into Freda's isolated file system). I didn't include it in the initial Freda release because it's complicated - but I hope to have an update including this feature in a week or three. Any questions, feel free to email me (jim@turnipsoft.co.uk).
  3. Grimholtt

Grimholtt New Member

You, sir, are awesome. Thank you so much!
  4. TheDFO

TheDFO Member

Not sure what the rules on posting links to outside sites are, but over at mobility minded, they just released a how-to to turn your WP7 phone into a USB mass storage drive (sort of). *Warning* I haven't tried this, and messing with the registry can be dangerous. Do this at your own risk *End Warning*

That should (could) let you copy a bunch at once.