Samsung Focus audio problems?

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by verynicehat, Nov 16, 2010.

1. verynicehat

verynicehat New Member

Anybody have anything like this? I've noticed two issues with my audio playback.

First, any time any audio playback is engaged, there's a small distortion-y hiss behind the audio. You hear this only while a sound is being played. It turns on and off quickly, say, each time you type a letter and it plays that soft "pop" sound. It's constant during mp3 playback and quite evident when you're listening to spoken word since there are periods of silence.

The phone sometimes starts and stops when beginning playback of the next track in a series. It's like it's buffering on a slow internet connection, then finally gets going and is smooth until the next track. It will do it 1 to 5 stutters. This is on media that is on the phone's internal storage. I haven't added any memory to the phone.

Do either of these sound like bad hardware? Should I return it? Thanks.
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I haven't noticed anything like this with my focus. It seems one of our members had an issue with audio hiss on Samsung Focus. You might want to check with them, see if they resolved it and how.
  3. termleech

termleech Member

I have noticed the hiss but only when I had the phone plugged in and charging. If I didn't have it plugged in I don't notice the hiss.

As for the stutter, I've noticed it when playing music as well. Sometimes I think I'm at the end of my playlist but it's just taking it's time going to the next song. It's not consistent but I have noticed it when listening to the music.
  4. Peter Park

Peter Park New Member

I have exact same problem. And this is the second Focus due to the problem. Now I'm considering getting yet another replacement, or switch to Surround for a better sound.

I'm thinking Samsung used some cheap audio parts for this model, and people just don't care much, or maybe I was just real unlucky to receive two defective units in a row... (I think it's the later since when I tried on the demo unit, I heard no hissing or pop sound at all... at least through the earphones.)

Yeah, I'm hitting to store tomorrow once again.
  5. Peter Park

Peter Park New Member

I've posted a reply on the other thread chris has posted.

It's the problem with all devices, not just Focus, and it's there. Many just aren't that sensitive to audio to notice it, or be bothered by it.
  6. Dan Colasanti

Dan Colasanti New Member

Yes - I'm having the same problem - 6 months after you - and I think this is a Focus hardware problem. My LG phone doesn't do this. It's also very noticeable when playing games that have both background music and soundFX. On the Focus, when the background music is playing and soundFX occur, there is a glitch in the music - but this doesn't happen on my LG at all.