SAMOLED Screen, inaccurate, wavy colors?

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by Pancake mix, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Pancake mix

Pancake mix New Member

Small intro, i work AT&T Retail, and im a professional photographer. Done.

I own an iPhone 4 & a Samsung Focus. Gave up a Captivate for the Focus, VERY HAPPY!

Now this wont be a big deal to most, but the SA Screen colors pop. In fact, they are over saturated. Color Transitioning is terrible, and most photos looks like crap. Again its not a big deal, but I strongly disagree that SA Display looks better than Retina Display.

I took a couple of side by side comparison photos with my Nikon D300 to better explain the waves that you might have heard about. It did this on my Captivate as well, but no where near as bad as it looks on my Samsung focus, which has me wondering if it has something to do with WP7. I will look on a HTC surround and LG Quantum at the same photos to see if it has the same waves.

Here are a couple comparison shots.

#1 Focus at Top, iPhone 4 at bottom

[​IMG]

#2 Focus Top, i4 bottom
    [​IMG]

#3 iPhone4 Left, Focus Right
    [​IMG]

#4 iPHone4 left, Focus Right
    [​IMG]

Took the shots with both phones in the frame, pictures aren't altered except resized.
    What you see is what it looks like. Feel free to view the same photos on your focus and see if its the same results. Feel free to post your shots. Links are here.

http://www.ericdejuan.net/uploads/saretina4.JPG
    http://www.ericdejuan.net/uploads/saretina1.JPG
    http://www.ericdejuan.net/uploads/saretina2.JPG
    http://www.ericdejuan.net/uploads/saretina5.JPG
    ninjaap likes this.
  2. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

I'm seeing sort of similar results, but not nearly as drastic as yours.
  3. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Would love to see results from HTC and LG phones. Thanks for these comparison shots.
  4. jtzako

jtzako New Member

Mine doesnt look like that at all. It looks better than my friends iphone 4 in fact.
  5. jab119

jab119 Member

interesting.... what camera took the photo of your little furry friend? Can you post the original of the little guy? Was it a camera phone? if not was it your Nikon and if so, why type of image processing did you do to it.

I do photography as well and have over 5000 photos on my Focus (iphone also) and I do not have any issues with any of the coloring and banding issues in your photo. Im wondering if your screen could have a problem.
  6. RandomAlec

RandomAlec Member

Thanks for this great comparison, but I really think it would be a more valid (and authentic) comparison if it were the actual image file.
  7. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

Actually, I only really notice the issue with the photos you posted, and only slightly at that, I have hundreds of photos from my Canon 5D on my phone that don't appear to have this issue.
  8. Pancake mix

Pancake mix New Member

As i did more research i found out that its only with photos that I used with my Macro lens. But heres another thing.

#1. It still has those terrible waves on any other picture thats viewed on it. Seemingly with pictures taking with a DSLR.

#2. That photo looks the same on Dual monitors, ipad, iphone 4, and pulled it on a Droid Incredible. It all looks exactly the same. It ONLY looks different on the SAMOLED display on the Focus.
  9. Pancake mix

Pancake mix New Member

Maybe i should switch to Canon? ;D
    izzypizzy likes this.