Ryan Smyth Now An Islander

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by chris, Mar 1, 2007.

1. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Ryan Smyth Now An Islander

I have been a long, suffering Islander fan for more years than I can remember. Growing up, I was lucky enough to watch them capture 4 cups in a row. Back then, it seemed like it would never end. As I became older, the Isles sunk to the depths of the NHL. Just a terrible team that continued to be plagued by bad moves. Living in the NY area, we have had to deal with the Rangers breaking their curse in 94' (albeit by buying the Cup), selling the team to a guy who had no money (Spanno) and consistently shipping our prospects off to teams so they can become stars (Bertuzzi, Luongo, Chara, Jokinen...etc)

This all changed on Tuesday when they finally made a move to put LI back on the map. As an Islander fan, I'm thrilled to have Ryan Smyth as a NY Islander. He becomes an UFA on July 1st, but I'm going to enjoy the ride. Most everyone thinks he'll return to Edmonton or somewhere in Western Canada at the end of the season, but I hold out hope the management of the Isles can find a way to keep him here.

Until then, I actually think we can make a run at the Stanley Cup. Never thought I'd hear myself say that again, but this team has the grit and build of a playoff team. The barn will certainly be rocking over the next few months.

-Chris
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

What are your feelings on signing DePietro to a 15 year contract??
    I couldnt agree more with you about the Rangers!!
    ps. im a Devils fan :laugh2:
  3. chris

I like DiPietro and all, but that was a nutty move. The owner loves DP, but 15 years is crazy. I have to say, he has been playing great. I don't know if we'll be able to say the same 15 years from now.

I despise the Rangers and look forward to issuing them a beating the next 4 times we see them. 3 of the games are at home, which should be more than entertaining.

I'm hoping the Isles can jump Atlanta and avoid facing the Devils in round 1.
  4. n99hockey

I dont believe the Devils get to play the Rangers anymore this year, so I look forward to the Isles beating them and keeping them out of the playoffs...nothing makes me happier to have them not make the playoffs. I love going to Devils games and no matter who they play we have our Rangers Suck chant :laugh2:
  5. chris

We don't need to actually play the Rangers to bring that chant out. It happens nightly.:laugh2:

I'm just upset they got rid of the "chicken dance". It was a fan favorite, but they removed it because it wasn't family friendly.

-Chris
  6. n99hockey

haha i didnt realize thats why they got rid of that...thats pretty funny
  7. bpaul24

bpaul24 New Member

What is this game you speak of "Hockey" what is that? J/K :tounge:
  8. chris

Leaving in a few to go see tonights game... Isles vs Rangers. Should be an entertaining night at the Coliseum.:laugh2:

-Chris
  9. n99hockey

well im jealous...i wish i was going to a hockey game tonight!
  10. chris

Great game, but spoiled by Chris Simon's bush move. Not only did we lose the game, but it came with a black eye. No room in the game for that stuff. Simon got checked hard into the boards and that's his response. Check him next shift, drop your gloves...but don't swing your stick. What a bogus way to end what was a great hockey game.

As if this series needed anymore bad blood. If any of the next few games get out of hand, there will certainly be some major fights.
  11. n99hockey

thats not how you should have a rivalry. no need to smack someone with the stick with intent to injur. devils played last night, i dont know whats gotten in to them but they are playing like they are asleep....they won in a shootout but they gave up 2 weak weak goals. they need to pick it up if they want to last in the playoffs! the isles are 7th seed right?
  12. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

Gotta love the title of this post living in Calgary and being a Flames fan. No more "blue mile" this year......thank god. Also, now that Edmonton blows chunks, we won't have any more traitors switching teams if the Flames bow out.

As for Simon, he's not gonna go talk to the guy about smoking him. He's a fighter holding a weapon. Its human instinct to want revenge. I don't condone what he did, but ask yourself what you would do in that situation. Would you try and talk it out with the player over coffee after the game? - "You really hurt me physically and emotionally with that hit" or would you go out and try to get revenge by smacking him in the face with your stick?

I don't think enforcers are paid to think about their on-ice actions, just my thoughts though, as it seems to happen with only their type of play.
  13. n99hockey

no your right simon isnt going to talk to him. but there is no room in hockey for bashing a guys face with a stick and risking any sort of serious head injury. hes an inforcer...hes suppose to drop the gloves, hell mark him your next shift and plant him in an open ice hit. take a boarding penalty if your that pissed. under no circumstances should you ever land a stick across a guys face becuase he put a good check on you...thats just stupid.

enforcers are there to carry a stick for balance and protect the high priced talent, and battle other enforcers. they bring that extra level of phisicality to the ice, like cam janssen. hes not out there to win the scoring title, hes out there to energize the fans, and his teammates with his physcial play. he scored his first nhl after 1 1/2 seasons...thats how its supposed to be...:smile:
  14. kungpao

kungpao New Member

I couldn't agree more!

BTW... Anyone got any extra enforcers? Ours just recently got laid out by Orr. :embarassed:
  15. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

LOL, the stick for balance line is great, but that seems to be the problem in itself. They should just make enforcers play without sticks and there wouldn't be this problem of whack-a-mole every couple of years. Totally in agreement that it was wrong of Simon to act that way, but what is the solution?

It obviously doesn't scare goons off by Colin Campbell making examples of them, otherwise Simon would have "thought" about doing it and remembered what happened to McSorley. That's all I meant by the first post and there's gotta be a better solution because it keeps happening. Its just like sending a drunk driver from rehab to the bar in his own car.
  16. chris

I found this to be a pretty funny .
  17. n99hockey

no doubt there has to be something done. suspensions are one thing...but if you start banning players for life or X number of years for hits like that...that would sure as hell make them think twice. i know its hard to think about your actions when your playing...it just doesnt happen. as much as i dont like colin cambell for his days with the rangers and his whimsical suspensions and fines that somestimes dont make a hell of a lot of sense, hes the leagues enforcers, obviously he has to step it up if they are going to act like that.
  18. n99hockey

i like how its categorized as 'Comedy'
  19. SimpleBinary

SimpleBinary New Member

It's just a good thing that Smyth can score better than he can knock players off their skates!