Run your nap on Metro PCS?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by kwood129, Aug 4, 2010.

1. kwood129

kwood129 Member

Run your nap on Metro PCS?

Does anyone know if there is a way to get this to work on Metro PCS? I've been using my phone for a year and a half now and I'm tired of paying through the nose to Verizon. Metro only has one WM smartphone and it doesn't have wifi. If anyone has tried this please chime in.
  2. kwood129

kwood129 Member

Ok I have been checking on this and maybe someone can help me answer the question. It seems that on the older q you were supposed to upload the prl file from the new carrier. In this case that would be Metro PCS. Then if they will activate your phone you should be able to hit 228 and go from there. What I'm wondering is if this is true will the ota programming be able to configure the mms and web settings? Anyone out there have any clue if this will work?
  3. milovance

milovance New Member

no that won't work. no idea why nobody else here has told you so in the two weeks since you last posted. Go to hellomotoq.com and check out hthomas's thread on flashing q9 s to cricket. It should cover most of what you will need to do, but with metro pcs. I use cricket but to the best of my knowledge Metro is very similar. I know we can get talk txt and mms to work on the nap, but 3G might require some serious work.
  4. kwood129

kwood129 Member

I will do the work needed to get 3g to work. I think one of the things I've been most worried about is getting the gps to work again. I know that we are supposed to have access to the verizon network in order for this to work. With metro in socal they are supposed to have their own towers. This is the last thing that I've been concerned with before I make the change.
  5. milovance

milovance New Member

There is a LONG thread somewhere about the now dead effort to unlock gps on the q9c where the proccess of getting it to work on the nap was detailed as well. The idea, at one point, was to take files from the nap rom and patch the q9c rom. Despite several different approaches and the actual involvement of Moto software engineers it never did happen. Seriously a lot of reading it's like a 100+ page thread.
    On the q9c evdo is achieved by first flashing the phone with a generic rom, which unlocks the nvm folder. You could stop there if you were ok with wap and talk only but you need a verison or uscc UPGRADE rom for txt and mms. The upgrade roms don't overwrite the nvm so once you have flashed a second time the NVM is still unlocked and then you can flex EVDO.
    Now with the nap we probably don't have a generic ROM and we certianly won't have an upgrade rom. The phone was never released, so no upgrade. We will have to somehow edit the NVM files. Probably be a hex edit. Go in there and change every instance of vzw.net to mycricket.com. It's been done before to get EVDO working with cricket on the original Q.
    Now I am trying to buy one of these bad boys and if I get one I would love to collaborate with you in getting your phone to work. The steps for mine would be almost exactly the same. Could be a ton of fun, too! We could write a tut once we get it all fingered out.
  6. milovance

milovance New Member

And oh, one more thing. The Nap has honest to gosh stand alone gps. I think there is some unlocking, but it's doable and been done. YOU DON'T NEED CELL TOWERS. The gps will work in antarctica it's not A-gps like in most other phones and will work with third party apps like those from google and garmin. Don't sweat the GPS, EVDO is going to be the problem.
  7. kwood129

kwood129 Member

You're right it has a stand alone gps but has to be authorized somehow by verizon's network in order for it to be active. A clear example of this is if you try to switch to tmobile or at&t the gps will no longer work. I love my phone but hate my phone bill.
  8. milovance

milovance New Member

hmm. I wonder if we would still have the problem on another cdma network. I'll do some research, but I think sombody got standalone gps working on an unactivated nap. I think this is do-able.
    Had another idea. I wonder if it would be possible to use the NVM files off my fully flashed Q9c and simply paste them into the nap rom via qpst and hw virtual serial port. Seems kinda simple, but it might work. I'd have to bust out the easy button. The phones are very similar. Same OS, same carrier (initially). If it did work I could just reflash my q9c as if for Metro and post the files for you.
    I'll do some looking into that gps issue. Good thing I don't have a job!
  9. milovance

milovance New Member

I found the thread. It's actually in this forum under motorola q hacks. GPS will work for us. Bought a Nap myself today should have it inside a week. I still need to root through that thread for the steps on GPS. Honestly with wifi I might not even want to pay cricket for EVDO. When I'm at home I have wifi and when I am working there isn't time to stand around and mess with my phone.
  10. kwood129

kwood129 Member

I wish I had read this sooner. I actually decided to jump ship and get a Droid. I also decided I'm not ready for Metro because of the poor coverage in the Seattle area. For anyone who is paying attention I have a nap that is fully functional, a nap with a broken screen and keyboard (us version so motherboard will activate) and 3 batteries if anyone is looking for one.