RSS Central -- fast and powerful RSS reader for WP7

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Apps and Games' started by Adam Dawes, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Adam Dawes

Adam Dawes New Member

Hello everyone,

I thought I would make a quick post to let you know that version 1.7 of my RSS reader RSS Central is now available for download in the WP7 Marketplace.

The main new features in this release are:
    • Added a new (and slightly experimental) feature that allows you to view all articles from subscriptions that share a category in one single list. To access it, swipe from the main page into one of the categories (news, entertainment, etc.) and then select the "All articles" item at the top of the subscription list. Please let me know how you get on with this feature, particularly if it causes any problems.
    • Fixed the Instapaper function which was intermittently failing to upload in RSS Central v1.6.
    • When viewing articles, those that have an author name will display the name at the top of the article text.
    The trial is fully featured as always and the full version is just $1.29/£1, please give it a try and let me know what you think

I'm very keen to continue to improve and enhance RSS Central so if you have any ideas or suggestions, let me know about them! A large amount of the functionality in RSS Central at the moment is there just because people have asked for it so do get in touch.

Hope you like it!
  2. Adam Dawes

Adam Dawes New Member

Just a quick update to let you all know that RSS Central v1.8 is now available to download. This is a bug fix/stability update and resolves a number of problems and issues that have been reported to me over the last couple of months. I'd definitely recommend upgrading your existing versions!

This will probably be the last pre-Mango version of RSS Central. I have lots of ideas for Mango, I'll reveal more details over the coming weeks...
  3. Adam Dawes

Adam Dawes New Member

Press release:

I am very pleased to be able to announce the release of v2.0 of my popular RSS reader application, RSS Central. This update is for Mango only, and finally implements many of the features that people have been asking for over the last few months.

The update takes full advantage of the new Mango feature set, and includes the following new features:

- fast app resume.
    - live tiles -- all of RSS Central's tiles now display live unread article counts when pinned to the start menu.
    - background downloads -- RSS Central can now download updated subscription content when it isn't running.
    - pinnable tiles -- any subscription (or subscription group) can be pinned to the start menu for instant access (and of course, these are live tiles too!)
    - sharing of articles to social networks (Twitter, Facebook, ...)
    - subscriptions will be downloaded in compressed format if the server supports it, meaning that they download even faster!

All this is in addition to the existing set of powerful features, including full RSS, Atom and RDF feed support, offline reading, subscription and article search tools, keyword features to help highlight articles of interest, import and export of subscriptions in .OPML format, uploading to InstaPaper and more.

RSS Central v2.0 is available in the Marketplace priced at $1.29. The trial mode is completely unrestricted other than occasional "nag" messages, so please give it a try and see what you think. More details and screenshots can be found at the offician RSS Central site here:

http://www.adamdawes.com/wp7/wp7_rsscentral.html

I am always working on enhancing and improving RSS Central so please do get in touch if you have any suggestions.
  4. Adam Dawes

Adam Dawes New Member

RSS Central v2.4 is now available to download from the Windows Phone Marketplace.

The new version contains translations into four new languages, as well as a couple of minor bug fixes. The full list of languages is: English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish & Ukrainian. Many thanks to the wonderful team of translators who have helped to make this possible -- I hope you all enjoy their work! More languages are on their way, and if you would like to help translate into your language then please contact me and let me know.

RSS Central is a fast, powerful RSS reader application with a great feature set, including the ability to subscribe to any RSS feeds you wish, to share articles by email, SMS or via social networks, background downloading and live tile support, searching and article keyword highlighting, the ability to read your downloaded articles even if you lose your internet connection, and much much more. RSS Central also recently celebrated its first birthday; with over 300 reviews, an average of 4.5 stars and a fully functional trial mode, you should give it a try if you are looking for a high quality RSS reader. The full version costs $1.29 / £0.99 / €1.29.

Full details about the app can be found on its page at http://www.adamdawes.com/wp7/wp7_rsscentral.html and it can be downloaded from the Marketplace here: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=bb5a4c91-3620-e011-854c-00237de2db9e or using the following tag:
    [​IMG]
  5. Adam Dawes

Adam Dawes New Member

RSS Central v2.5 is available now. The most obvious difference in this release is that I've added support for background images behind the page content, which makes the app look a lot more vibrant than the plain black background from before. Here are a couple of images:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This version also adds a translation into Hungarian (now a total of 10 languages supported), and improves the article browser so that when using the email/share/open in browser/send to Instapaper/etc. functions, it is the currently viewed page that is used rather than the base article page.

RSS Central currently has an average review score of 4.5 / 5 across nearly 400 reviews. A full unrestricted trial is available as always, give it a try and see what you think. Download from the Marketplace here.