Review - Seidio’s Jet Black Premium Skin Case / Holster Combo

Discussion in 'Motorola Q Accessories' started by SDMahan, Sep 20, 2006.

1. SDMahan

SDMahan New Member

Review - Seidio’s Jet Black Premium Skin Case / Holster Combo

As I've previously posted on the forums, I have been waiting several weeks for Seidio to release a Skin Case / Holster combo for the Motorola Q. I previously owned their Skin Case/ Holster combo for my Treo 650 and it quickly became my favorite. In early September, Seidio finally entered the Motorola Q case market. Like most case manufacturers, Seidio released several designs. At the time of this review, Seidio is currently offering a Skin Case, a Crystal Case, and an Aluminum Case for the Motorola Q. I recently received their Jet Black Premium Skin Case / Holster Combo and I wasn’t disappointed.

Case Fit:
    The Seidio Jet Black Premium Skin Case is semi-rigid, fitting snugly around the Q while leaving all openings easily accessible. You barley even know that it’s there. The case has cutouts for the microphone, keyboard, front/rear/top speaker ports, IR port, memory card slot, jog-dial/back button, camera/flash, headset jack, and mini-USB port. The case fits snugly around the Q and all openings are easily accessible. The keyboard is fully exposed to allow for easy typing while the D-Pad and softkeys are fully covered.

Case Feel:
    The case adds a nice “grippy” feel to your Q. Unlike most skin cases, the Seidio Jet Black Premium Skin Case isn’t rubbery; it feels more like soft molded plastic. It feels great in your hand and also provides a nice anti-skid surface. While I had my concerns that the black covering over the D-Pad and softkeys would hinder my ability to use them, the covering has raised ridges and dots that let you know exactly where each button is. The portion over the D-Pad is raised even further to distinguish itself.

Not a dirt magnet:
    Unlike other “skin” cases, the Seidio Jet Black Premium Skin Case doesn’t attract lint. After several days of use, mine accumulated a little dust. Cleaning was extremely easy. Just remove the Q, rinse in warm water, and dry.

Holster:
    Seidio was one of the first companies to release a PDA holster with a top spring-clip. The spring-clip on the Seidio Spring Clipped Swivel Holster for Skinned Q provides a very secure fit around the Q. The holster also has a belt clip that swivels 180 degrees to allow you to keep your Q either sideways or upright on your belt.

Putting the Q in the holster is extremely easy. Place the bottom of the Q into the holster, with the screen facing in, and as you press the top of the Q into the holster, the spring clip opens up to accept it and then closes in over it. To remove the Q, grip the sides with your thumb and middle finger, press the spring clip up with your forefinger, and remove the Q. This holster is the best combination of security and ease of use.

What’s the catch?
    The only problem that I noticed is that the raised covering on the D-Pad sometimes presses against the inside of the holster (a dilemma that Motorola avoided in the OEM holster by indenting the center of their holster). This is a bit annoying as this will turn on the Q unexpectedly and attribute to battery drain.

Given past experience, I had high expectations of Seidio and once again they’ve release a quality product. Overall, I am impressed with the Seidio Jet Black Premium Skin Case / Holster Combo. It provides great protection with minimal bulk.

UPDATE: I have spoken with Seidio and they have recognized the holster's design flaw and will modifying the holster to correct it in the near future. Once the holster is redesigned, there are no show stoppers for this Skin/Holster combo.
  2. bgowland

bgowland New Member

Damn

I need a case solution now but would like to wait until they fix the holster for a perfect solution.

I originally wanted a krusell case but am having problems finding them.

Bill
  3. dawgpoundfan

dawgpoundfan New Member

I can not get the bloody thing on my Q, It shipped to me looking like it was supposed to be "connected" over the foam but was not - and can not get it to "snap" or secure on the Q and can not put the two pieces together w/out the Q either - now I am a father of two young kids and consider myself quite good with putting things back together (anyone with a 2 year boy knows what I mean), but I am at a loss here.
  4. inf3st

inf3st New Member

Can we get some pics? On and off of the phone?
  5. dawgpoundfan

dawgpoundfan New Member

I can see if I can try tonight, but not sure what I am taking a picture of, the two pieces just do not stay together...ever...no matter which way you try to "snap" them into place. 2 others in my office tried as well.
  6. inf3st

inf3st New Member

I just wanna see the case.
  7. dawgpoundfan

dawgpoundfan New Member

I would, however since it does not fit I am not going to give it justice as it does not look "right" since it....isn't. One of the reasons I bought from Seidio is because they have been very fair and honest in the past with me and offer quality products, so I will wait until I get one that works, then I will post pics :).
  8. A_wax

A_wax New Member

I just recieved my jet black skin case in the mail today and it is great. I did not come as two pieces, it came as one that is slipped over the phone. Maybe you got a defective one, seeing as mine works fine and it is one piece.
  9. qnoob

qnoob New Member

10. A_wax

A_wax New Member

11. qnoob

qnoob New Member

I've grown to LOVE the silicon cases use of the raised covering over the D-pad and soft keys so this is something I might try than get another cheapo silicon case (which tear too easily). That's the only reason I don't want to get a clear, hard case because they expose the D-pad and soft keys. I really like navigating, going through menus by touch.