Replacing Startup Sound

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by rasmith3530, Sep 24, 2007.

1. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Replacing Startup Sound

I followed the hack for changing the startup sound to *none*, then decided that I would like to try using a different WAV file for the system startup. I copied the new WAV file to the Windows directory, and went in and pointed to the new file in the appropriate Registry Key, HKCU/Control Panel/Sounds/SystemStart. Upon power cycling the phone however, the new WAV file doesn't play. Is there some parameter that I'm missing? Do I have to rename the file to "piano.wav"?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea.. i think the piano.wav is in the ROM so i would try overwriting it with a file with the same name.
  3. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Well, I did that and it worked, but it plays at a very low volume. Any way to kick it up a notch?
  4. mwitzah

mwitzah New Member

Still Has Annoying Start Up Sound . . .

I found the hack to eliminate start up sound and did it - first just replacing the value with "*none*" then with "/windows/*none*" but in neither event did it eliminate the start up.

What am I missing?

I did reset the phone - so rule that out.

If anyone knows . . .

Thanks.
  5. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

If you did a Master Reset on the phone, it probably changed it back to the default "piano.wav."

+++++
    Sent from a laptop running Debian GNU/Linux
    www.debian.org
    +++++
  6. mwitzah

mwitzah New Member

Thanks for the tip, but I didn't MASTER reset, just SOFT. I've been back to that part of the registry several times & it's always remained the same as I'd most recently set it.

Any other ideas on what it is I'm doing wrong here? That stupid start up sound is slowly driving me insane!
  7. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Who's your provider? I know this works on USCC phones, and assume it also works on Verizon phones, since that is the predominant number of Q's on the market.

Have you tried doing a Master Reset? Also, have you unlocked the phone with AEConfig?

+++++
    www.debian.org
    +++++
  8. mwitzah

mwitzah New Member

Verizon

Sorry, I didn't think that would make a difference.

It's Verizon.

Does that give you any ideas?

I've searched the forum for this, and done everything suggested on each one I found. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, somehow, & just can't figure it out. Everyone else appears to have used the hacks posted & gotten success - so it must just be me. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! :angry:

P.S. COULD IT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY PHONE IS A Q9M? AND WHEN I LOOKED IN WINDOWS FOR THE PIANO.WAV FILE I COULDN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE - IS IT SOMEWHERE ELSE & SHOULD I EDIT THE REGISTRY ACCORDING TO WHERE IT IS LOCATED & NOT WINDOWS? HELP!!
  9. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Yes, it probably has *everything* to do with your Q being a Q9m. That phone has WinMobile 6 (WM6). The registry, or how it acts, may be quite different in some respects, to the original Q with WM5.

+++++
    Sent from a Moto Q
    www.motorola.com
    +++++
  10. mwitzah

mwitzah New Member

Figured out a way to eliminate the start sound on the Q9m, though it now vibrates on start up even when the sound settings are on loud (I'm cool with that over the annoying startup noise). Might not be the BEST fix, but it's a good way to patch the problem in my own clueless sort of way until someone else gives me the holy grail of fixes for this . . .

Anyways, I opened up the windows folder & sorted all files by program type. Reviewed every single WAVE file for the sound that the Q makes upon startup. Found it at the end - surprise, the startup sound on the Q9M is called: vzw_startup_sound.

I then downloaded a freeware version of an audio editor to modify the 4 sec clip to 0 sec (no sound). Not sure if that was necessary, given the fact that it's a protected file & refused alterations to that file. Nonetheless, I'd already created the file so I simply gave it a new name (vzw_startup) and added that to the windows folder.

I then returned to the registry editor & followed the listed hack's directions up to the point of inserting the new sound value as "*none*". I now made it refer to the newly created soundless file I named vzw_startup.

Don't know why changing the value to *none* wouldn't work, but I'm mollified that the annoying startup sound is gone.
  11. rasmith3530

rasmith3530 New Member

Make sure that if you modify the startup sound file, you back it up first. Whenever you mod, leave yourself a way back to stock! That's just in case your mod somehow backfires.

+++++
    www.debian.org
    +++++
  12. mwitzah

mwitzah New Member

thanks - I ended up adding a new file because startup sound file was protected & wouldn't let me modify or delete (i would've if I could've so I guess I lucked out doubly this way . . .)
  13. sonorman

sonorman New Member

Make it STOP!!

Can you please tell me how you did that? I have been searching for a thread to get rid of the start-up WAV. Thanks in advance!!
  14. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

did you read the Hack Sticky?
  15. piranah

piranah New Member

learned this the hard way wayyyy too many times
  16. mwitzah

mwitzah New Member

I don't know if i'm missing something, but the hack thread doesn't fix this problem for the 9ms with updated windows v6 - I had a temporary fix but after a few days/weeks it no longer works. anyone with any suggestions on how to eliminate the start up sound on Q9 - we (i) need you!
  17. personman

personman New Member

Had the same problem - try this

The hack didnt work for me either.

this is what i did:
    I created a short silent wave file, named it vzw_startup_sound.wav ( i used windows sound recorder - turned off the microphone, recorded silence then deleted almost all of the original recording)
    backed up the built in start up vzw_startup_sound.wav
    copied the silent file over to my phone, then used 'copy to' in resco file explorer to copy my silent file over the default file.
    you will get a prompt to overwrite and a warning about the danger of writing to rom. (i didnt have problems continuing, but you may risk damaging your phone apparently)
    I restarted the phone... Ahhh silence... except then a little beep, damn, how do get rid of that? ehh, I can live with it.
  18. jespley

jespley New Member

No sound file for q9m's

So, I recorded a soundless file and replaced my vzw_startup_sound.wav with it. There is no beep or anything. It is just silence....\bliss

I'm making the zip file available below for anyone who wants to use it.

Here is what I did:
    Using the explorer window via ActiveSync, I went to the \Windows directory (where the annoying vzw_statup_sound.wav resides) on the mobile device. I copied and pasted the original *.wav file to my desktop (as a backup) and replaced it with the new file included in this post. Now you too can enjoy the silence!

Good luck.

Attached Files:

19. smiller2076

smiller2076 New Member

I edited the registry entry to *none* and I have blissful silence on start-up :)
    Funny thing is, on my other Q that went FUBAR, I got the short (but less annoying) start-up sound after changing to *none*.
  20. jeehole

jeehole New Member

For some reason I cannot do this. I have a Moto Q9m from Verizon, and it has WM6. When i use active sync explorer to try to replace, delete, or rename the existing vzw_startup_sound.wav file it gives me a permission denied error.

I even tried it from file manager on the device, and when i try to rename it, it says "files in ROM cannot be renamed".

How were you able to do this? Am I missing something?

Thanks