Removing ringtone size limitation (Q9H)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ibcop, Nov 29, 2007.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You have a couple of options:

You can use Vito Ringtone Editor, which is cool, but I don't like, because you can't set the bitrate you want the ringtone to be at.

You can use any mp3cutter/recorder app to make ringtones off any song you own. Encode them in whatever bitrate you want, and then drag the finished files to the application/sounds menu.

Done and done.
  2. helloq24

helloq24 New Member

after you do that where is the application/sounds menu where you drag it to?
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Oh yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that.

Its in the root folder, "\Application Data\Sounds"
  4. helloq24

helloq24 New Member

ok i just downloaded the Resco registry editor and I cant find the files you guys are talkin about on here? I tired couple other registry editors and couldnt find them either? Do i have to pay for it or can i just get it for free? some help would be great, thanks.
  5. manbat

manbat Active Member

I use WavePad

==================================================
    I use WavePad....Got it freeware quite a few years ago. Don't Know it is still "out there" You can also use Audacity another free ware that is "out there". With either of these you can listen and clip out the section you want to use as a ringtone. With Wave pad you can reduce KB's and save in Mp3,Wav and other formats.
  6. helloq24

helloq24 New Member

I figured everything out thank you all for your help!!
  7. Blazekat

Blazekat New Member

Thank you SO much!

I just got my Q Global a couple of days ago and have been customizing it like crazy. I couldn't figure out why my MP3 ringtones would NOT show up in my ringtone list. I've spent hours and hours on message boards and websites, and it wasn't until I got here that I:

A. Learned about the 299kb size limit (mine were all 500 or so)

and

B. Read this thread, downloaded Total Commander and with a little skill and a LOT of luck, got my ringtones to work.

The most gigantic thank you to all the experts who figured out and explained how to do this. I know dealing with noobs is frustrating, but it's not nearly as frustrating as when you ARE the noob and can't understand what you're being told.

Now I'm gonna go poke around the rest of the forums and see what other goodies I can find. :laugh2:

Thanks again!!
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Kudos to you for actually wanting to search around and try stuff out :laugh2:

If there were more noobs like you, maybe they wouldn't be so frustrating :smile:
  9. sherri

sherri Active Member

Welcome to the family! Now that you found us, you don't need any other message boards. If the experts here can't figure it out, you don't need or want it!!:tounge:
  10. Blazekat

Blazekat New Member

Aww.. thanks!!

Y'know.. after looking around a little more, I'm inclined to believe you! I ran across Golden Y's Homescreen thread, and I think I'm a goner.. heheh

Thanks for the welcome!:smile:
  11. lkm5675

lkm5675 New Member

Thanks!!!

:laugh2:Just wanted to tell everyone THANKS. Finally able to use my own ringtones and mp3s. I used Mobile Registry Editor by Breaksoft recommended by gotoguy in an ATT forum and it worked. I opened the Control Panel folder in the Current User file, click on the Sound folder and deleted the File Size Limit. Thanks Again.:laugh2:
  12. WhatISaQ

WhatISaQ New Member

Updated to 6.1! Filesizelimit gone?

I have been reading this thread up and down and reading where some can not seem to find the Filesizelimit at the very bottom located: HKCU>Control Panel>Sounds. If thats not exactly right I was just trying to remember without going back to see what it really is. I did exactly what the post said. I was wondering if that because I just updated my Q (AT&T) to the 6.1 if that is making a difference in what everybody previously have been talking about. I also tried to go to ?Mexkin?'s provided site but the link was either gone or took to a general threading section. I have a little regedit on my Q that was suggested in the Wiki (STG). I also have tried finding it using the Mobile Registry Editor also suggested in the Wiki (BreakSoft exe). I have not seen anything mentioned about the update and this Filelimitsize problem. I have searched Everything Q and other places with no success. So sorry if this is an old topic. By the way I just got my Q yesterday. I know I'm a noob I suck because I don't know near as much as anyone else but I would appreciate more of a non technical response if at all possible. THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE. Sorry it was long but was trying to alleviate some of the conditional question responses!
  13. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Here is the updated link.
  14. WhatISaQ

WhatISaQ New Member

Thanks to Mexiken, I got my Q to play actual songs! If you read this whole forum and nothing made sense past getting the registry editor you are feeling just how I did. Get a registry editor like others describe in this thread or many others or in the wiki (just search) and follow the link that Mexiken provided here: http://motomoddinguk.info/showthread.php?t=2142. Follow his post at the top word for word after you open your regedit. DON'T OVERLOOK PRESSING THE "VALUES" BUTTON ONCE YOU GET TO SOUNDS!!!!! YOU'LL LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT WHEN YOU POST!!!!!! Believe me I know!! Once you confirm you deleted the specific value, put the songs you want as a ringtone in the file called Sounds which is in the Application Data folder of the File Manager. I had songs on my storage card already from another phone and just copied the song to the Sounds folder.

THANK YOU EVERYONE AND ESPECIALLY MEXIKEN FOR UPDATING THE LINK.
  15. coasterguy59

coasterguy59 New Member

OK this may seem really dumb and or already posted. Is there a way to remove the limit on the text ringtones or something like that. Cause I would love to have some songs play instead of those annoying beeps!:angry:
  16. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you might not want to do that as you cant stop a text tone so if its a whole song the whole song will play until it finishes for EACH text you get
    not a good idea
  17. Ghidrah

Ghidrah New Member

I'm sure this is going to piss off everyone that considers this childs play.

I wish there was D/L to activation installation instructions for one of the editors. I'm pretty sure following the HKCU path given at the top of the thread will be a breeze

I've had my phone less than 2 weeks and just began adding ringtones. I've used (regedit) on my PC. I loaded 6.1 onto the Q 8/20.

However after going through every post in this thread I'm still stumped as to which PHM to down load, is it PPC or Smartphone, exe or cab? How do you tell the cab version from the exe when you're at the site that offers the editor?
    Do I D/L (X), to Desktop or phone, some posts mention desktop, phone and I think 1 mentions syncing?

If it's drag-N-drop what sync folder do I drop it into?
    Do I press sync on the Q software after I drop it into folder (X) or does it auto sync?
    Once it's in my phone where do I find it, is it on the desktop or a hidden folder?
    Once I find it, do I activate it with a click or does it auto install?

The Q was an expensive purchase and I don't want to mess anything up trying to get the regeditor properly installed on the phone.

I've clicked on the links posted in the thread, by N99 and Mexiken(phm.lu/products/smartphone/regedit and phm.lu/downloads/download/d-2a4418802fd3) but they end up "File not found", so maybe the sites are gone.

All constructive help will be greatly appreciated.
  18. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

always smartphone never PPC
    cab file is the smartphone install file
    exe is most likely a PC install file so make sure your Q is hooked up to the PC

if the links dont work use google to find it

never extract/unzip a .cab file EVER
  19. Boycan

Boycan New Member

I don't know why it would make anyone mad, as you say most of this can be confusing. Most cab apps you can just drag and drop right onto your storage card then go to file manager on your phone and select it and it will do its thing, now if the file is a .exe or zip file then you save to the desktop on your pc and with the phone connected to pc you just open the file from the desktop and follow the directions. One thing that scared me at first was every app I have installed says it is from unknown source and asks if you want to install it and you have to tell it yes (from the phone). Well thats my 2 cents as RB would say.
  20. Ghidrah

Ghidrah New Member

I've been looking through google none of the WWW.PHM.LU URLs work

I found this "mention" at Tucows, note it is for 5.0 not 6.0 or 6.1. also that the D/L is from the dead or missing PHM website
    PHM Registry Editor
    Version: 7.1
    System Requirements: Pocket PC 2002, Windows Mobile 2003, or
    Windows Mobile 5.0 device

I can't seem to find any PHM above 7.0

I've looked at total Commander 2.51 for smartphone it has the windows installer (.exe) and a (.cab) option along with a note for the (.cab) an additional language page if you D/L the (.cab)

Under this is more info

The Windows installer is a self-extacting EXE files for Windows (desktop), which requires Microsoft ActiveSync. To install from a Mac or directly from the Smartphone device, get the CAB file onto your device and start it there.
    For Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT, XP, or Vista, go back to the Down Load page

http://www.ghisler.com/download.htm

Which is a lot of links to Euro sites

All confusing, why can't there be a specific link to an editor for "Motorola Q 9h w/6.0 or 6.1" This is why a primer would be helpful.