Removing ringtone size limitation (Q9H)

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by ibcop, Nov 29, 2007.

1. mtnmedic

mtnmedic New Member

ok, how about this...I cannot get any of my ringtones or custom sounds to be recognized by my Q9H. I am not a noob by any means and am familiar with hacking the registry BUT I do not have the filesizelimit in my registry. Is it possible i am not seeing it is because i still have a security setting blocking it? I am really getting frustrated, i have tried mp3, wav, wma...on the storage card, phones main memory, in the ringtone folder but cannot get anything to work...:frown:
  2. mtnmedic

mtnmedic New Member

so i figured out a workaround. in the registry, ..currentuser..controlpanel..sounds..>then select the sound you want to edit..so if you are trying to select a SMS sound, select SMS and edit the registry file to where the sound is located...just make sure everything is exactly correct or it will not work.

I just got my SMS tone and ringtone that way...

but overall pretty pissed about having do it this way...selecting tones shoudl be easy as pie and moto or att has made it a PITA! goodluck

ps...now i realize that is you go into the sounds folder via start, it will show as vibrate and then mess everything up...I had to master reset to start over...

there has to be a better way to get a freakin ringtone
  3. ajwalker

ajwalker New Member

Ringtone help needed badly

I agree, this should not be this hard. Every other Windows Mobile phone I have ever had was simple to get my custom ringtones. Even the ones you download from Microsoft don't work on the Q9h.

I'm starting to feel like an iPhone user!:angry:

Somebody, somewhere, has got to post the solution to this.
  4. HawksG33

HawksG33 New Member

Removing the filesizelimit entry in the registry is a hassle, but really not too difficult. Download Resco to your phone, start the registry editor, navigate to the folder listed in this topic, scroll all the way down (at least for me) to the filesizelimit entry and delete it.

It really sounds scarier than it is.
  5. mtnmedic

mtnmedic New Member

oh, i am not scared of doing it, it's just I dont even have that entry in my registry!!! kinda makes me wonder why i still cant get ringtones on my phone
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

why dont you try to 'update' your library in WMP and see if the device will recognize any of the files
  7. mtnmedic

mtnmedic New Member

Nothing a master reset couldn't fix!

but oddly now I have my ringtones in the right menu selection but my custom text message alert shows under the ringtone but is not available in the SMS menu selection.

frustrating
  8. ajwalker

ajwalker New Member

All of a sudden, I can get some custom ringtones!:laugh2:

These aren't my own creation but I went to one of the suggested websites and was able to find ringtones I could download right to my phone and hey play flawlessly.

They are MP3 files so I am really wondering how and why downloaded over the air put them in the "right" folder and made them immediately accessable :gasp:

Strange. But I have them. The site I used was from a suggestion goyleinlove posted in another thread. The site is www.tuneusin.com

It just worked. They don't have a huge selection but it was enough to get me started.

It was really bugging me that adding ringtones seemed to be so obtuse on the Q9h. I mean having to resort to registry hacks (!?!?) just to get custom ringtones?!?

Completely stupid. Like I said before, I was starting to feel like an iPhone owner.:tounge:
  9. ibcop

ibcop New Member

But the registry hack takes all of 15 seconds.....:gasp: Then you don't have to get your ring tones from a web site. But to each his own.
  10. ibcop

ibcop New Member

Yes, you can use MP3's if you do the registry hack. And there are no dumb questions! Good luck!
  11. ajwalker

ajwalker New Member

I didn't mean to sound negative and hope no one took it as such. It's just frustrating when you come from one Windows Mobile 6 device to the upgrade and then can't easily get ringtones on your phone.

It really should be as easy as drag and drop.

My frustration isn't with anyone but with Motorola for making it so obtuse that we all either have to hack the registry or download from the web.

It should have been a simple drag and drop like on just about all other Windows Mobile phones I've ever owned or known anyone else to own.

That's all. That's my rant.

The folks at everythingq.com are the best and thanks to everyone.

P.S.
    For whatever reason, emailing (or downloading from the web) soundfiles/ringtones to myself and then retrieving them to my phone puts them in the right place, even though I put the exact same type of files in the exact same place manually only to have the Q not "see" them. Go figure:wacko:
  12. tterrabydnar

tterrabydnar New Member

I use a program called RJV Tone Setter. It allowes you to pick any music file and use it for any of the system sounds. I can use full MP3 songs for E-Mail, Ringtone, SMS, MMS, or any system event. I have used this program for quite a while on a number of WM5 and WM6 smartphones and PPC's, and it works great on all of them.
    Randy
  13. mtnmedic

mtnmedic New Member

I have the tone setter as well, but it does not hold if the power is cycled off. Also if i set the tone using RJV and then for some reason go into the settings, sounds, it will void whatever RJV set.

a real shame for this phone that everything is so locked down. BTW...what's up with the inoperable LED indicator? BS, that's what
  14. Joneyee

Joneyee New Member

Total Commander and one deleted registry file later.. .thank god cause i had alot of ring tones larger than that.

Thanks to all for the info
  15. ibcop

ibcop New Member

Good deal! Enjoy and Happy New Year!
  16. mtnmedic

mtnmedic New Member

i did a master clear and master reset and started from scratch...2 hours later all my programs are up, registry unlocked, ringtones good, email ok...i think i might be able to put the phone down for a little while and finally stop tinkering with it...at least for a day or two!
  17. Joneyee

Joneyee New Member

Yeah I put my down today for the first time in a week, Fantasy Football Championship today.
  18. brad2157

brad2157 New Member

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for this fix. I have been pulling my last few hairs out over wondering why it wouldnt allow me to select any of my mp3 or wav file clips for a ringtone. I had been following every example on every MOTO Q message board and was getting extremely frustrated. It's really crazy they had such a small size limit on the ringtones. I greatly appreciate the help and know-how to get this corrected!!! Thanks!!!
  19. ibcop

ibcop New Member

You're welcome! And that's what we're all here for - to share info, right?
  20. coasterguy59

coasterguy59 New Member

So I have done all of the correct things but now i cant go on AIM on my phone anymore plus i think it deleted some of my ringtones

help?